Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #1006
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I never really got the joys of Cloud programs for consumers, but to each his own.
Adobe's "Creative Cloud" tools do not run in the Cloud - they are locally installed on, and run on, your computer. The name stems from the fact that a CC subscription includes anywhere between 20GB and 10TB of Cloud storage, which you can, if you wish, use to back up your work or sync it between apps running on different devices, but this is entirely optional.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #1007
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Adobe's "Creative Cloud" tools do not run in the Cloud - they are locally installed on, and run on, your computer. The name stems from the fact that a CC subscription includes anywhere between 20GB and 10TB of Cloud storage, which you can, if you wish, use to back up your work or sync it between apps running on different devices, but this is entirely optional.
I see, for some reason I thought it was a pure cloud app. Hum, $99. I might give it a try again.
pwalker8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #1008
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
iTunes?! My solution for Apple DRM is to never buy anything with it in the first place.
Just saying I'll stick with DRM-free or that which can be removed by our friend Alf's tools.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #1009
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Unhappy Has anybody managed to do a fresh install of the Alf tools on Windows 10?

My 2011 Macbook Air has to go in for a battery replacement tomorrow, and in case it doesn't survive I've been trying to get a Windows 10 laptop loaded with ADE and the Alf tools. I thought I'd have a problem with finding and installing ADE 2.0, but that was actually easy. The Alf tools though....

I've downloaded and installed Python 2.7 and Pycrypto 2.6, and downloaded the latest tools zip folder and followed the instructions about dropping it into the Documents folder and making the shortcut for the bat file and moving it over to the desktop. But when I click on the shortcut nothing happens except a quick flash of the command window, so I can't do the configuration step or anything else. I've checked the PATH variable to make sure the Python27 folder is in the path, and it is. I've deleted and re-installed the python downloads, even tried the 64 bit version and the 32 bit version. Nothing changes.

I've never had a problem with the mac OS, but Windows...oy!
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #1010
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
My 2011 Macbook Air has to go in for a battery replacement tomorrow, and in case it doesn't survive I've been trying to get a Windows 10 laptop loaded with ADE and the Alf tools. I thought I'd have a problem with finding and installing ADE 2.0, but that was actually easy. The Alf tools though....

I've downloaded and installed Python 2.7 and Pycrypto 2.6, and downloaded the latest tools zip folder and followed the instructions about dropping it into the Documents folder and making the shortcut for the bat file and moving it over to the desktop. But when I click on the shortcut nothing happens except a quick flash of the command window, so I can't do the configuration step or anything else. I've checked the PATH variable to make sure the Python27 folder is in the path, and it is. I've deleted and re-installed the python downloads, even tried the 64 bit version and the 32 bit version. Nothing changes.

I've never had a problem with the mac OS, but Windows...oy!
Calibre + plugin is the easiest way to get it working on Windows.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #1011
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Worth a try, I guess.

I had it working in Windows 7 on a netbook without resorting to Calibre. Too bad I lost the power cord to that netbook. This is just another reason to dislike Windows 10.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #1012
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
What's wrong with Calibre?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #1013
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

Cool Nothing wrong with it, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
What's wrong with Calibre?
Apache
Just force of habit after all these years. Just now I installed the plug-in, grabbed an epub out of Digital Editions, loaded it into Calibre, converted it to Kindle, loaded it onto my Voyage and then opened it. It opened without fussing about DRM, so my python and pycrypto installs must be just fine. I just don't know what's wrong with the desktop converter.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #1014
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Just force of habit after all these years. Just now I installed the plug-in, grabbed an epub out of Digital Editions, loaded it into Calibre, converted it to Kindle, loaded it onto my Voyage and then opened it. It opened without fussing about DRM, so my python and pycrypto installs must be just fine. I just don't know what's wrong with the desktop converter.
The plugin version uses built-in python in Calibre. It'll work even if your normal python install is borked.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #1015
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The plugin version uses built-in python in Calibre. It'll work even if your normal python install is borked.
Good to know!

I just ran a little Python script from the command prompt and it works, so my install can't be too honkered.

Last edited by NNolan; 03-21-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #1016
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've had no problem with using the drop target method on Windows 10. Current setup is Win 10 Pro 64 bit, ActivePython 2.7 32 bit, Pycrypto 2.1.0 32 bit
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:40 AM   #1017
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are a couple things to look at over at the GitHub:

https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...ws-application

https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...ols/issues/547
Old 03-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #1018
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

Lightbulb

I tried the "copy the tcl8.5 folder to lib folder" suggestion, that didn't help. I did see the "pylzma" error when I was playing with running the BAT python command from a command window. Somebody on github mentioned that the 6.5 version worked just fine with python 2.7 and pycrypto 2.6, so maybe I'll drop back a version and see what happens, or try to find some pylzma libraries. Thanks for letting me crab and fuss.

ETA: I just grabbed the 6.5.5 version and installed it and that opens up to the config window with no issues. Woohoo! Maybe they'll fix the pylzma issue in 6.7. It seems to be related to how they handled KFX files.

Last edited by NNolan; 03-22-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #1019
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I had it working in Windows 7 on a netbook without resorting to Calibre. Too bad I lost the power cord to that netbook. This is just another reason to dislike Windows 10.
Most (AC) power cords are standard. Look at Amazon for the end that plugs into the brick. 2-wire: Figure 8, squared 8. 3 wire: the common IEC, or MouseEars

There are generic 'Brick' replacements for all round pin (the proper end is selected from a chart), and some others (but watch out for HP and Dell. Some of those talk to the brick and reject generics)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:35 AM   #1020
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
ETA: I just grabbed the 6.5.5 version and installed it and that opens up to the config window with no issues. Woohoo! Maybe they'll fix the pylzma issue in 6.7. It seems to be related to how they handled KFX files.
Yeah, I think the main thing added since 6.5.5 is KFX support. And you'd want to use the plugin if you needed to deal with those anyway.