Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-02-2023, 12:10 PM   #1
Sorcerous
Sorcerous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
epub to PDF issues

I can convert an epub to pdf, but I cant seem to get either of these things to work.

1. I want to set a font in the output PDF, I added

h1, h2, h3, h4 {
font-family: "Proxima Nova", sans-serif;
}

p {
font-family: "Garamond", serif;
}

under extra CSS, but it doesnt seem to do anything. When I open generated PDF the fonts are not set.

2. Page setup. I want to generate a 6x9 inch PDF. All the page set up choices are for different devices and pixel sizes. Which one maps to 6x9, or is there a way to set a custom size?

I am on MacOS using 6.11.0

Thanks so much.
Sorcerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:23 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Convert/Export epub to docx or RTF. Open in LO Writer or MS Word. Fix page size, fix styles etc (save between edit sessions as odt on LO Writer, and docx on Word).
Export direct as PDF. Old versions of Word don't have built in PDF export, in such cases install free Libre Office and use LO Writer.
Results are perfect.

Those page choices are for ebook conversion. PDF output on Calibre uses the PDF Output option page, as does docx (but on docx you either pick a predefined size or enter the size in Points, not inches). RTF seems to be fixed Letter size.

You can use a predefined size in docx output if custom box (Points only) is empty.

Any size of A5, A4 (or fixed Letter in RTF) is OK, because you'll set the page size in MS Word or LO Writer to size you want for PDF.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-02-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:07 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) add !important to the css rules

2) To control page size look under the pdf output section of the conversion dialog
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:37 AM   #4
Sorcerous
Sorcerous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks. I think this is a good idea and it works. Export to DOCX seems to work and those things can be changed in Word albeit it is a lot of work for a long book to reformat.
Sorcerous is offline   Reply With Quote