Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-20-2019, 02:33 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
du Maurier, George? Or Maurier, George du?

In a week or so I expect to upload a book by George du Maurier to the MobileRead library.

Should I enter the author's name as du Maurier, George; or as Maurier, George du?

If the answer is in the wiki then please accept my apologies, and point it out to me. If the answer is not in the wiki could it be put there?

Last edited by AlexBell; 07-25-2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: fixed spelling mistake
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:48 AM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
In a week or so I expect to upload an book by George du Maurier to the MobileRead library.

Should I enter the author's name as du Maurier, George; or as Maurier, George du?

If the answer is in the wiki then please accept my apologies, and point it out to me. If the answer is not in the wiki could it be put there?
I'm no expert in this but I think it should be sorted under Maurier but know that the du is part of the last name. Which doesn't really answer your question. I'm guessing that the Dutch names with van and German names with von are similar so maybe you could do a google search on "names with van, von, and du" (and maybe de la for Spanish) and see what they say about them.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'd prefer "Maurier, George du", but it doesn't really matter because the guidelines are not being enforced and they've been broken too many times.

ETA: We already have a couple of "Du Maurier, George".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Project Gutenberg uses "Du Maurier, George" and Wikipedia consistently uses "du Maurier" when not including his first name. I use "du Maurier, George" for the author_sort in calibre.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:31 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
and Wikipedia consistently uses "du Maurier" when not including his first name.
At least in Spanish, one thing is the sorting order (Maurier, George du), and a different one is how to use the surname alone (Du Maurier). Of course, that doesn't necessarily apply to other languages/traditions.
Advert
Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 AM   #6
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Personally, I would enter the thread title as du Maurier, George: blah blah blah

disclaimer: This is my personal preference, I don't know if it is good advice or not...
I would prefer this because that will affect where the name will appear in the Ebook Index (the master book list), and I do believe people would search for Du Maurier rather than for Maurier. Well, anyway, folks who have a similar mindset to my own.

Am I the only one who uses the Ebook Index to search for titles or authors?

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 07-22-2019 at 05:37 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'd prefer "Maurier, George du", but it doesn't really matter because the guidelines are not being enforced and they've been broken too many times.

ETA: We already have a couple of "Du Maurier, George".
When I searched the book list, before I started work on Peter Ibbetson, I searched for du Maurier, and couldn't find any books by du Maurier. I searched for Du Maurier tonight and found The Martian. Could you tell me please what the other book was that you found, Jellby? And could you tell me where I can find the guidelines you mention?

For what it is worth the State Library system in Tasmania sorts books by Daphne du Maurier as Maurier, Daphne du. They don't have any books by George du Maurier.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just for the sake of stirring the pot and perhaps adding to the confusion, sometimes these last name prefixes get joined to the last name and become part of it. E.g., Vanderbilt. When I did the google search I suggested above a wikipedia page had examples and one of the items in its list was Dupont, so apparently originally it was du Pont.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Old school alphabetizing considered articles in names to be separate words. Thus, Daphne du Maurier would be alphabetized Maurier, Daphne du. This is the style taken by Calibre. The new alphabetizing scheme that seemed to become commonly accepted in this century is to consider the article part of the name, so it is not separated in alphabetizing. Thus, du Maurier, Daphne would be correct. So, neither is wrong, just pick what pattern you want and stick with it. That means all those vons are in V now. Just remember though, that most established places, like libraries, are probably going to stick with the old school forever.

Note: took a couple of courses on library science way back when, so it was of interest to me.

Last edited by Tarana; 07-22-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #10
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
And I must rant: What. Is. The. Deal? --- the preference for First Name sorting? Several sites I visit use this *horrible* option as default. Grrrrr!
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
And I must rant: What. Is. The. Deal? --- the preference for First Name sorting? Several sites I visit use this *horrible* option as default. Grrrrr!
It's been around since at least 1992 (pre-Netscape).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
When I searched the book list, before I started work on Peter Ibbetson, I searched for du Maurier, and couldn't find any books by du Maurier. I searched for Du Maurier tonight and found The Martian. Could you tell me please what the other book was that you found, Jellby? And could you tell me where I can find the guidelines you mention?
I just searched for "Maurier" in the whole E-book uploads forum, found:

Du Maurier, George: The Martian. V1. 16 Nov. 2014 (ePub and Kindle)
Du Maurier, George: Trilby, v1.2, 10 Sept 2007. (BBeB/LRF, Kindle and IMP)

The guidelines are here.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Can you give some links? (My barf bag is nearby.) I've never seen this except on the Kindle.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:36 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I just searched for "Maurier" in the whole E-book uploads forum, found:

Du Maurier, George: The Martian. V1. 16 Nov. 2014 (ePub and Kindle)
Du Maurier, George: Trilby, v1.2, 10 Sept 2007. (BBeB/LRF, Kindle and IMP)

The guidelines are here.
Thanks, that's most helpful. I wonder whether it might be helpful to add a few words to the guidelines to cover how to deal with surnames like du Maurier and von Arnim, and whether du Maurier and von Arnim are preferred to Du Maurier and Von Arnim - and of course other similar names.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:43 AM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
I'm sorry, GrannyGrump, I don't understand what you mean by 'First Name sorting'.

Surely not sorting by given name?