Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2022, 12:43 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Remove empty collections?

I've purchased a Clara 2E for the better half and am slowly setting it up before wrapping it up for Christmas. I have a Clara HD myself.

I've noticed that the Clara 2E has a large number of collections based on my tags with 0 books.

I checked and in Calibre I had both KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended enabled. I've now disabled KoboTouch.

On KTE I had it set to 'Delete empty bookshelves'. I did not have KT set that way. I disabled KT, plugged the 2E back in and ejected it and still have the empty collections.

On Metadata, on device & advanced, I do have Update metadata on the device checked.

Does it take a while for them to disappear? Do I have to sideload another book or manually refresh metadata or anything like that to clear them out?

(Incidentally, I did search and found these two threads, but the info appears to be outdated: How do I delete empty collections?, Empty collections)

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-09-2022 at 12:49 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:03 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
slowly setting it up before wrapping it up for Christmas. I have a Clara HD myself.

Why did you use your name? All your setting up is for Nothing to the person you are gifting it to.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:51 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Why did you use your name? All your setting up is for Nothing to the person you are gifting it to.
That is no help for my question. But since I'm talkative: The 2E is for my spouse. They will not create a new Kobo account for themselves or do anything on it except read books already on the device (though I do hope they enjoy Overdrive, signed in under their own library card).

I wouldn't set up a reader like this for anyone outside of my house.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-09-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:34 AM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Kobo server keeps a list of collections associated with the account. I bought a new device and as soon as it logged in to my account the new device was populated with all the collections.

So (I think) delete the unwanted collections on one device, then sync it. After that, any sync with the new device (on the same account) should have a matching set of collections.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:02 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Kobo server keeps a list of collections associated with the account. I bought a new device and as soon as it logged in to my account the new device was populated with all the collections.

So (I think) delete the unwanted collections on one device, then sync it. After that, any sync with the new device (on the same account) should have a matching set of collections.
I have different books on the HD and the 2E, so I don't want the collections to sync. Collections on the HD are populated. But those same collections on the 2E have zero books, so I just want them gone.

As an example, despite my spouse having the impeccable taste to choose me, they do not like westerns. So I don't want the Western collection on the 2E with 0 books.

I keep wifi off on the HD, but was leaving it on on the 2E as that device is likely to use Overdrive.

Do I have to log out on the 2E and just create a new dummy account?
Old 12-09-2022, 01:15 PM   #6
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
You could delete the collections from one reader, then never sync it again, I guess.

A separate account would solve the problem.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
You could delete the collections from one reader, then never sync it again, I guess.
Sadly, the one that needs the collections deleted is also the one that will periodically have wifi on.

Quote:
A separate account would solve the problem.
Thanks. I'll give it a go.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:45 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That is no help for my question. But since I'm talkative: The 2E is for my spouse. They will not create a new Kobo account for themselves or do anything on it except read books already on the device (though I do hope they enjoy Overdrive, signed in under their own library card).

I wouldn't set up a reader like this for anyone outside of my house. Me giving copies of books I purchased to someone outside my house.
My son [adult] doesn't like what I read & I don't like what he reads LOL We just ignore the collections that don't pertain. As long as the the Collection is Not Downloaded onto the reader It does NOT show! We have Kobo Clair's on the same account.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:39 PM   #9
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have different books on the HD and the 2E, so I don't want the collections to sync. Collections on the HD are populated. But those same collections on the 2E have zero books, so I just want them gone.
I don’t think it’s possible. If you delete them on the 2E they’ll be removed from your HD, as you probably know. I have different books sideloaded on my Elipsa than my Clara HD, so many of those collections are empty on one or the other device.

It’s not a neat solution, but you could explain it to her and ask her to just ignore them.

Quote:
Do I have to log out on the 2E and just create a new dummy account?
This would be the only way to avoid those empty folders since they are synced on Kobo’s servers. I assume you don’t want to load the same sideloaded books onto her device.

I would just ask for her forbearance regarding those empty folders. You could set up her own account, but then she wouldn’t have automatic access to your purchased books.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I don’t think it’s possible. If you delete them on the 2E they’ll be removed from your HD, as you probably know. I have different books sideloaded on my Elipsa than my Clara HD, so many of those collections are empty on one or the other device.
All of my books are sideloaded, even those purchased from Kobo. So I deleted everything from the 2E and created a new Kobo account.

Quote:
This would be the only way to avoid those empty folders since they are synced on Kobo’s servers. I assume you don’t want to load the same sideloaded books onto her device.
I don't understand why Kobo syncs collections when it doesn't sync sideloaded books. All collections on my Kobo were created in Calibre and added to my Kobo via the sideloaded books.

Quote:
I would just ask for her forbearance regarding those empty folders. You could set up her own account, but then she wouldn’t have automatic access to your purchased books.
My friend, that would be too easy!

As mentioned above, I sideload everything anyway, so no biggie there.

I did find out that I couldn't leave the sideloaded books on the device, not if I wanted them added to a collection. After creating the new Kobo account, I thought I'd be able to plug the 2E into Calbre and refresh the metadata, but no joy. Newly added books would create or add to collections as expected. But already existing ones didn't update.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:40 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
My son [adult] doesn't like what I read & I don't like what he reads LOL We just ignore the collections that don't pertain. As long as the the Collection is Not Downloaded onto the reader It does NOT show! We have Kobo Clair's on the same account.
It's best t have to separate accounts and two Calibre libraries. That way he can read what he wants and you can read what you want and if any books overlap, you can have them in each Calibre library.

It's also a good idea to remove any DRM from these eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote