Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Question about epubs from stores other than Kobo

I don't mind paying for my books but sometimes Kobo isn't the best price. (And sometimes it is! You really have to check around). I don't want to bother with stripping the DRM out so I'm not really bothering with Amazon if I can find it elsewhere. Plus I have a Mac and I haven't been able to find instructions on how to strip the DRM from Amazon ebooks.

I found the Inkmesh site and my question(s) are this:

Even tho the Kobo isn't listed when the search comes up as a supported device can I still books from any site that has an epub listed as " Format: Adobe Digital Editions ePub (Secure) " (I'm assuming the Secure means it's a secure site to buy from?) and load it onto my Kobo?

If so this would be awesome! This will really help me in finding a gazillion books to read. Thanks!
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
"Adobe Digital Editions (Secure)" means the ebook has Adobe DRM, which is supported by the Kobo Reader based on http://www.koboereader.com/comparisons.html. So you should be able to load books in that format onto your Kobo eReader without conversion or DRM stripping.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have downloaded other ePUB books using ADE from other stores and although they appeared in the "My Digital Editions" folder on my desktop, they never somehow landed in on my bookshelf within ADE so I could not drag them onto my Kobo from there. My solution has been to side load them through Calibre.

I am not sure that my experience is typical, so YMMV. The books were ePUB from places like Smashwords so not specifically ADE "enhanced".
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have downloaded other ePUB books using ADE from other stores and although they appeared in the "My Digital Editions" folder on my desktop, they never somehow landed in on my bookshelf within ADE so I could not drag them onto my Kobo from there. My solution has been to side load them through Calibre.
Try to import them into your library (although they're already at the directory and it looks redundant). It should work. I think that the reason is the books you're talking about don't have DRM, so ADE only opens them, it doesn't add them (how it does through acsm link).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to give it a try.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
"Adobe Digital Editions (Secure)" means the ebook has Adobe DRM, which is supported by the Kobo Reader based on http://www.koboereader.com/comparisons.html. So you should be able to load books in that format onto your Kobo eReader without conversion or DRM stripping.
Thanks - apparently I should have read the FAQs on here because I think it was answered in there. Oops.

The site that seems to come up the most is the Sony Reader site. Am I correct in my assumption that I can buy ebooks off that site and load them onto my Kobo? I just want to double check and make sure.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Yep, you just use the ADE desktop software to download the book and put it in its library folder, and then tell the ADE to copy it to the Kobo (assuming you have registered your Kobo with ADE), or just drag it over yourself.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Samantha45
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Yep, you just use the ADE desktop software to download the book and put it in its library folder, and then tell the ADE to copy it to the Kobo (assuming you have registered your Kobo with ADE), or just drag it over yourself.
I'm good to go with ADE - I've used it for library e-books.

Thanks! That helps and that's great that I can also use Sony books - some books are $6 cheaper! A couple that I was interested are US only but it's still nice to have a second option.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I've done it the other way round. I own a Sony Reader but I purchased a book from the Kobo store and transfered it to my reader with no problem.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote