Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Zerocool
Zerocool began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Backport to Lucid Lynx (10.04)

The current version of Calibre has been nominated for backporting to Lucid Lynx. Marking the bug report as also affecting you might help speed things along.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/lucid-backports/+bug/585045
Zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should be able to run the calibre binary directly on 10.04
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Zerocool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You should be able to run the calibre binary directly on 10.04
Agreed. But it might be helpful to have the package in the repository for those of us that keep up to date this way (and to easily upgrade for those with the official version already installed from the repository).
Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure, but realistically speaking, given that calibre is released once a week, there's no way a binary distro is going to be able to keep up.

If you want bleeding edge, use a source based distro like gentoo or exherbo.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
tonyx3
Connoisseur
tonyx3 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus One
Yeah, this has always confused me a bit.

I'm not 100% clear on how it all works, but it seems that even though the official repositories for Ubuntu can't keep up, couldn't the latest version just be set up in its own PPA, so a user could just add it as a custom software source and then the update manager would find the latest packages, or at least use aptitude to install it?

I know you can get things like the daily build of Firefox or Chromium that way.

Or is there something in the way calibre is written that doesn't allow that...??
tonyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It could if there was someone willing to maintain the PPA, I'm not.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Zerocool

I'd be happy to host the PPA depending on how much maintenance (i.e. getting updated builds) could be automated
Old 05-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's not hosting that's the problem. It's building the debs. I have no experience with that, so I can't really help.

There is a branch of calibre source code that is maintained by the maintainer of the official ubuntu calibre package, you could probably base your work off that.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Zerocool

I did notice that the source was available in launchpad. With a little tweaking it should be possible to automate package building using the AutoPPA tool working off this source. I don't want to cause any confusion with the officially maintained packages though.

Last edited by Zerocool; 06-01-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Grammer

Tags
backport, calibre, lucid, ubuntu