Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Sony Reader PRS-500 to trade for 5" or touchscreen device

So I was going to put my Sony Reader PRS-500 up on eBay, but before I do that I figured I would look into trading it. The reason I'm getting rid of the 500 is because I need to switch to a device with some form of input/note-taking. I'm leaning towards the Pocketbook 360, but I'm hesitating due to the smaller screen.

So does anybody have a 5" reader that they feel is too small and would like to trade for my 6" reader, so I can get some experience with a 5" screen?

Or does anybody have a touchscreen reader that they aren't keen on due to glare issues or the like (maybe some of those much-hated 700's still floating around)?

I'd also throw in some money, since essentially any device you'd be trading me would be worth more. Specifically, I'm thinking of the following devices, but if you have anything else with a 5" screen or a touchscreen that you want to trade me, let me know.

Sony PRS-300
Sony PRS-600
Sony PRS-700
Pocketbook 360

My PRS-500 is in great condition, with both of the firmware upgrades and all of the original contents of the box (charger, USB, cover, CD, documentation).

Last edited by NoHolyGrail; 08-13-2010 at 08:29 PM.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I absolutely *love* my Pocketbook 360, but it is not a device for note-taking. Entering a note of anything longer than trivial length would be painful using the rocker button to individually select each letter.

Of the items on your list, the PRS-600 would be the best for note-taking. I've read great things about the BeBook Neo/Onyx Boox, both of which are supposed to take notes well with the stylus/touchscreen.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Thanks for the advice, Marcy! I figured it was a long shot that anybody would be willing to part with a Pocketbook 360, anyway Do you think it's possible to adjust to taking notes on the 360? I was hoping maybe there'd just be a learning curve and then it would just feel like old-fashioned 9-key texting on a cell phone.

I should probably go ask about note-taking comparisons in the "Which one should I buy?" forum. But for now, I figured trading to a new device would at least get me somewhere in the decision-making process. I wasn't too crazy about the 600 or the Nook when I tried them in stores, but again I figured maybe there's a learning curve and actually owning one for a little while would help me decide.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I don't think it's possible at all to significantly take notes on the PB360. It isn't like a cell phone with 9 keys to use -- it has a virtual keyboard and you have to use *one* key to scroll around it and select each letter individually. It is cleverly done in that you set where on the keyboard the cursor appears by what part of the rocker you push, but just is not meant for serious note taking.

I believe the newest Pocketbook models (601 and 602) scheduled for release later this your have touch screens you use with a stylus that you could take notes on. And as previously mentioned, the Neo/Boox have had great reviews and have a stylus and touch-screen for note taking.

I loved my 600 and then my 900 when I had them, but after using the PB360 I could never go back. The screen is clearer, FBreader is totally awesome to display epubs where ADE sucks, and the level of customization is unbelievable. If the upcoming PB 601/602 are in the same class as the 360, they'll be amazing devices.

But, as you said, you probably should post in "What should I buy?" to get more responses from people who have actually owned the items.

And yes, you'll pry my PB360 out of my cold, dead hands and not a moment sooner.

That being said, I do have my old 600 that I am willing to part with cheaply. It has a small chip in the screen near the top. It has never bothered me when reading and is about the size of a period on the screen. The pictures below show the reader and the chip. I have the original box, along with the soft case it came with to hold it in, and the usb cable to connect it to the computer. I also have the custom lighted case from Sony, but one of the holders on the end snapped so something would have to be juryrigged to hold it in.

The close-up picture on the bottom shows the chip, which is over the "o" in the word down. It really isn't that noticeable in real-life reading, the extra glare from the flash really exaggerated it. You can also see it on the top picture. The speck above the w in "forward" about 2/3 of the way down the page was just dust.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote