Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Nomadin
Nomadin began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pro
Library Management

Hello,

I have ordered an EZReader Pro and I am curious to know how most of you have standardized your ebook library.

I have a Kindle 1, but I was feeling locked in to a format that is too tied to a single provider. I have also owned a Sony reader. Because of that, I have books in many different formats (mostly LRS, PRC, MOBI, and LIT). The only DRM'd books that I have are the Kindle books. The EZReader supports so many formats that I thought it would work well with my collection and I could standardize on a single format that will be safe for the future.

With that in mind, which format do you use with your EZReader? Do you buy DRM'd books with your EZReader? Are they safe for the future?

Any advice that you might have will be appreciated.
Nomadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
What formats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadin View Post
Hello,

I have ordered an EZReader Pro and I am curious to know how most of you have standardized your ebook library.

I have a Kindle 1, but I was feeling locked in to a format that is too tied to a single provider. I have also owned a Sony reader. Because of that, I have books in many different formats (mostly LRS, PRC, MOBI, and LIT). The only DRM'd books that I have are the Kindle books. The EZReader supports so many formats that I thought it would work well with my collection and I could standardize on a single format that will be safe for the future.

With that in mind, which format do you use with your EZReader? Do you buy DRM'd books with your EZReader? Are they safe for the future?

Dear Nomadin:

I work for Astak and I want to welcome you to our happy group. I know you will get a ton of comments.

The DRM on the Pocket PRO is Adobe Digital Editions... so EPUB and PDF are both very strong on your new device. The PDF is reflowable to fit the screen.

Most people have voiced a strong dislike for LIT on the Pocket PRO. I am working with the factory on this but for right now you have to use Calibre to take LIT and put it into a new format. Others here have much more knowledge of Calibre and can explain.

Non-DRM Mobi works fine as does non-DRM PRC. Muti-format PRC eBooks seem to work great.

Some of the greatest minds on here are Wallcraft, Dale, and theDucks. There are others very smart but these three are incredibly helpful. Mr. Duckey (theDucks) is very, very helpful and always on here.

Welcome!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hello,

The PEz (Pocket Pro) uses a file / folder system along with a Special, Recently read folder (which I use a lot, since I read what strikes my current mood , so I tend to have a number of title going).
Work on a file plan that works for you and what you read.

I use Calibre to manage my files and folders.
Since I read a lot of "Series" titles, I use:
{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}_{id}/{title}-{authors}
The 0>2s always uses 2 digits for the seris order so it sorts correctly:

I use a different mask for non-series titles as I did not like some artifacts left behind for titles without series or index.

BTW Robert FAQ Item: "Recently read supports the last 32 (4 screens) of files selected (Books, Music and Images)".

A new entry comes in on Page 1, Item 1 and gets pushed down as New files are viewed. Unfortunately, The last viewed does not float to the top and there is no "Remove from list" feature for those that were view in error. (You can use your computer to remove the Entire list).

Welcome
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Though I use Calibre to convert files, I (being an old DOS addict) use Window's Explorer and drag and drop my files into the folders I want.

I have first level folders for my favorite authors, last name only (or use a character between names as folders need to NOT have a space in them or the bookmarks don't work. i.e., if the folder name has a space, the bookmarks do not stay) e.g.: use-> Smith_Mary not Smith, Mary
I have a few second layer folders for different catgories, such as:

Smith_Mary
==>Audio files

I also have three first level folders for "Classics", "Favorites", and "Miscellaneous"

So my main folder listing is:

"Recent Files" (system generated)
"I C E" ~In Case of Emergency. I have my info in a file
"Digital Editions" (system generated)
Author_1
Author_2
Author_3
"Restore_PC" (systm generated)
"Classics"
"Favorites"
"Miscellaneous"

I let the different formats "fall where they may" in the folders, since the icon shows which type of format the book is in.

Be warned, RobertB explained about LIT files, but people, me included, have problems with PRC files. I convert all mine to either PDF or Epubs. These work great.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I use ePub on mine because they work well on the PEz and they support landscape, which is my favorite way to read. ePub seems to be the wave of the future, but I've been reading ebooks for several years now and lack faith in any of the DRM formats. I only buy books with removable DRM and then I remove it immediately after purchase. That way I don't have to worry about what the new reader supports.

Your LRF files will not work on the PEz, but Calibre will convert them to other formats. If they are really LRX because you bought them from the Sony store, you can redownload them now in ePub. If you're motivated enough, some Google searching for unswindle and a visit to the i♥cabbages blog should give you the information you need to unlock your Amazon books. Once they're unlocked (DRM removed), you can convert them to whatever format you want.

Calibre is an awesome program for organizing ebooks, converting them to other formats, and fixing the metadata. It will only convert books after the DRM is removed. I use Calibre to save books to the PEZ. It creates folders for me in my preferred file structure. It takes a bit of playing to get it set up to do this as you like, but then it's automatic.

Last edited by polly; 02-03-2010 at 03:49 PM.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Thank you,Polly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I use ePub on mine because they work well on the PEz and they support landscape, which is my favorite way to read. ePub seems to be the wave of the future, but I've been reading ebooks for several years now and lack faith in any of the DRM formats. I only buy books with removable DRM and then I remove it immediately after purchase. That way I don't have to worry about what the new reader supports.

Your LRF files will not work on the PEz, but Calibre will convert them to other formats. If they are really LRX because you bought them from the Sony store, you can redownload them now in ePub. If you're motivated enough, some Google searching for unswindle and a visit to the i♥cabbages blog should give you the information you need to unlock your Amazon books. Once they're unlocked (DRM removed), you can convert them to whatever format you want.

Calibre is an awesome program for organizing ebooks, converting them to other formats, and fixing the metadata. It will only convert books after the DRM is removed. I use Calibre to save books to the PEZ. It creates folders for me in my preferred file structure. It takes a bit of playing to get it set up to do this as you like, but then it's automatic.
Dear Polly:

Very helpful and thank you!!

One additional note: with EPUB you get 9 levels of font size increase!! That can be a valuable reason for files in EPUB!

AJStarr and theDucks are just great!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Nomadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The PEz (Pocket Pro) uses a file / folder system along with a Special, Recently read folder (which I use a lot, since I read what strikes my current mood , so I tend to have a number of title going).
Work on a file plan that works for you and what you read.
I like the idea of the recently read folder. That will be handy. I jump around a bit as well.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Nomadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I only buy books with removable DRM and then I remove it immediately after purchase. That way I don't have to worry about what the new reader supports.
Do you mind me asking which format you have settled upon? My understanding is that LIT is the easiest to remove the DRM from.

Quote:
I use Calibre to save books to the PEZ. It creates folders for me in my preferred file structure. It takes a bit of playing to get it set up to do this as you like, but then it's automatic.
I love Calibre as well. I have not set everything up yet since most of my recent acquisitions are on Amazon. I need to de-DRM them so that I can convert them to EPUB and then manage them in Calibre.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
My understanding is that LIT is the easiest to remove the DRM from.
LIT used to be the easiest, but it is becoming less commonly available. If you have a Windows PC, both Adobe ePub and Kindle for PC AZW are very easy to circumvent.

On the EZ Readers you don't need to circumvent Adobe ePub, but given the problems Adobe has with authorizations it is simplest to strip the DRM immediately and avoid all that potential hassle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
DRM removal is extremely easy for Mobipocket also, as there is a plugin for Calibre that removes the DRM automatically when you import the book. It's simple to set up (the hardest part was finding it, but Google is our friend! ), and once that's done you never even have to think about it.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Nomadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
LIT used to be the easiest, but it is becoming less commonly available. If you have a Windows PC, both Adobe ePub and Kindle for PC AZW are very easy to circumvent.

On the EZ Readers you don't need to circumvent Adobe ePub, but given the problems Adobe has with authorizations it is simplest to strip the DRM immediately and avoid all that potential hassle.
I will probably try the ePub route since that is the format that I intend to focus on in the future. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you mind me asking which format you have settled upon? My understanding is that LIT is the easiest to remove the DRM from.
I agree with wallcraft. ePub is my first choice, LIT is second, and Amazon is only if I can't find it elsewhere. With ePub, I don't need to worry about converting it and the formatting is already set.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Bear in mind that you can't change fonts in epub. On the PEZ, this means that the font you are locked into may not be very dark.

I usually make a mobi copy just in case, because I can set the mobi one to a dark font (in my case Arial Black). I often find the native epub fonts too light.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
polly
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Bear in mind that you can't change fonts in epub. On the PEZ, this means that the font you are locked into may not be very dark.

I usually make a mobi copy just in case, because I can set the mobi one to a dark font (in my case Arial Black). I often find the native epub fonts too light.
Check out this thread on how to adjust fonts in ePubs using Calibre.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58901
Old 02-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Another Calibre user. I tend to use this ordering: {tags}/{series_index} {title} - {author}.

I mostly buy ePUB books, though I do have some MOBI/PRCs and PDFs. I own quite a few DRM'd ePUBs and they work fine once you get your PP/PEz authorized.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote