Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #16
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
An update: my husband purchased the update to Omnipage which worked very well in initial trials. I plan to rescan my "practice" book to see how well it does in a real time operation. It did not put the text in text boxes in the doc file and the html file looked as expected with indentations and basic formatting. I was very pleasantly surprised with how few errors I came across in a quick preliminary visual editting of the trial OCDed file. I'll keep you all updated as to my progress.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
I'm currently dowloading a free trial version of Omni Page 16. I can't afford to pay for OCR software and there is this book I've been dying to convert... it's the third free software I download tonight (the first two did not cut it), and a couple weeks ago, I also tried to install Tesseract, which is way too complicated for me.

If you have any suggestions or tricks for me, please share! I feel so lost right now!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #18
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
I'm currently dowloading a free trial version of Omni Page 16. I can't afford to pay for OCR software and there is this book I've been dying to convert... it's the third free software I download tonight (the first two did not cut it), and a couple weeks ago, I also tried to install Tesseract, which is way too complicated for me.

If you have any suggestions or tricks for me, please share! I feel so lost right now!
A good many scanners these days come with free OCR software, OmniPage and FineReader (my preference) among them. I therefore assume that yours did not. Another thread in this forum though discusses at some length use of the OmniPage (vis a vis the FineReader). You might want to check it out.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=scan+books
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

VCat, when I get back from the CES I'll post the hoops I had to jump through to get to the final ebook version of the book I scanned. The Omnipage software that came with my scanner was confusing so we did upgrade to OP17 but with the Standard version as opposed to the full-blown Professional version. It works very well but I know I need to do some tweaking to get a better output that requires less editing. It is definitely a learning process. Thank goodness my husband is getting into it just as much as I am. He is much better at digging into the intricacies of the software.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
A good many scanners these days come with free OCR software, OmniPage and FineReader (my preference) among them. I therefore assume that yours did not. Another thread in this forum though discusses at some length use of the OmniPage (vis a vis the FineReader). You might want to check it out.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=scan+books
My scanner is an old one I inherited from my dad, it's suppose to have an OCR but it's not compatible with my laptop (please don't ask why, I have no bleepin' idea).
Thank you very much for the link, it now makes it clear that I'm in for a ride! I'm the kind of person that calls technical support when the tv doesn't work because the power bar it's plugged in is turned off ( ). OmniPage seems to be the least intuitive software available ( - bis), but I tried to download a trial version of Abby FineReader yesterday and it didn't work.
I have two weeks to learn how OP works without losing my mind, then we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
VCat, when I get back from the CES I'll post the hoops I had to jump through to get to the final ebook version of the book I scanned. The Omnipage software that came with my scanner was confusing so we did upgrade to OP17 but with the Standard version as opposed to the full-blown Professional version. It works very well but I know I need to do some tweaking to get a better output that requires less editing. It is definitely a learning process. Thank goodness my husband is getting into it just as much as I am. He is much better at digging into the intricacies of the software.
Indeed!
I can't believe I forgot about your trip to CES - I hope it goes great!
Right now, I managed to scan the first chapter to a PDF file with OP. I tried to treat it through the OCR after, but I can't seem to be able to keep only the text, the big black images are still on, and the document transformed itself in a .opd one that I can't open.

I'm clueless, clueless I tell ya!
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #21
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

You have to give it more than "two weeks" -- but I assume you're joking! Wait until you hear further (and get further guidance) from Kaz, and I will be waiting in the wings to assist is and as needs be. Don't become discouraged. Kaz apparently hasn't.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
Verencat
Wizard

I only got the two weeks free trial software, so yes, I only have that!
Kaz teaches kids, so I guess she'll be able to work some sense into my head!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #23
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
I only got the two weeks free trial software, so yes, I only have that!
Kaz teaches kids, so I guess she'll be able to work some sense into my head!
Don't worry about the limited period of the free trial software. Kaz (and I) can hopefully direct you to other means and resources, with the only limitation in time being your own.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #24
Verencat
Wizard

Thank you!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #25
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
If you are looking for OCR software at a normal price range that can handle a Apple, Windows, or Linus OS, I recommend Vuescan. I have used it for several years now....

http://www.hamrick.com/
try the above OCR software.....very good.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #26
kazbates
Wizard

VCat ~ I'm sure we'll be able to find you something that will work. The Omnipage software is tricky to use, although it did work very well once we figured out the settings. I think I would have preferred the FineReader software, but David had already bought the OP as a surprise and I didn't want to make him feel bad by questioning his choice. He's been very helpful with the whole process so its all working out so far. Now that we're back from the show (and Ryleigh is back in school) I should have more time to mess around with the software. I'll also take a look at the software in hidari's link to see what that looks like. Believe it or not, I didn't just teach kids. When I was working as a computer analyst, I wrote User's manuals and gave held training classes on computer software developed by my division. Hopefully, I can draw on that background to help us both!