Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Kindle 2 Whispernet suspended! :(

Hey all,

My wife bought me a Kindle 2 (she stole mine!) for my birthday, and I received it today (Saturday, December 5). She bought it on eBay brand new from a seller, because of cashback and being cheaper (no tax either since I live in Seattle now).

I noticed as soon as I opened it that it would NOT connect to the Whispernet, whereas her Kindle 2 connects just fine. I waited a while, hoping it would connect, and it never did...

I called Amazon, and after giving them the serial number of the device, they seemed VERY interested in the seller's name/email address etc, and assured me that "no matter what happened," my Kindle would be allowed to use the Whispernet in the next 3-7 business days.

I now wonder what the deal is, and whether the seller is screwing people? I've messaged a few people who've received their Kindles and left positive feedback for the seller whether they were able to connect to the Whispernet with their device or not. I haven't heard back from any of them... I wonder if they are gifts and thus haven't even been opened yet.

Any thoughts on this?

For those wondering, here's the link to the seller's Kindle 2 listings that I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_4444wt_1146

All help/opinions wanted!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I have a feeling that soon this person's posts on Ebay will be taken down

Last edited by Ervserver; 12-05-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
... I called Amazon, and after giving them the serial number of the device, they seemed VERY interested in the seller's name/email address etc, and assured me that "no matter what happened," my Kindle would be allowed to use the Whispernet in the next 3-7 business days ...
Very interesting! Let us know of any further developments. Sounds like something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't quite understand what the problem could be. There is no rule that you can't sell your kindle to someone.

The only though I might have is that s/n was reported stolen and Amazon was notified. However, many have complained that Amazon doesn't blaklist stolen s/n's.... so I don't see how this would be it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't quite understand what the problem could be. There is no rule that you can't sell your kindle to someone.

The only though I might have is that s/n was reported stolen and Amazon was notified. However, many have complained that Amazon doesn't blaklist stolen s/n's.... so I don't see how this would be it.

BOb
The seller has sold a very large number of K2s in a short amount of time. Someone on Kindleboards mentioned a bunch of Kindles were stolen from a truck and these might be the same Kindles. There is a link to the Kindleboards thread in another post about this same seller.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The seller has sold a very large number of K2s in a short amount of time. Someone on Kindleboards mentioned a bunch of Kindles were stolen from a truck and these might be the same Kindles. There is a link to the Kindleboards thread in another post about this same seller.
Interesting....

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Still no go on my Whispernet being enabled. *sigh*
Old 12-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
WilliamG
Addict

Got an email today to confirm my Kindle 2 global is able to be connected to the Whispernet, and sure enough, after a reboot, it does! I'm online! Yay!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Hooray! Congratulations!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Hahaha...did you guys look at what happened to the seller's account? Looks like he got caught a couple days after this was posted. Initially he tried to cancel some of the outgoing orders, then gave up and just stopped shipping.

Feedback left to the seller:
"Said was robbed..Other day said item shipped??? What's the truth?"

-- Not quite, mate!
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Got an email today to confirm my Kindle 2 global is able to be connected to the Whispernet, and sure enough, after a reboot, it does! I'm online! Yay!
Woo Hoo!! Congratulations!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
WilliamG
Addict

Yeah no way he was above board, but whatever. I got the Kindle global for $140 after cashback. It was worth it. . In the end!