Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
dozey123
dozey123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can the 360 highlight (not clip) text permanently?

I've read some great in depth reviews on here and watched some videos of the 360 but there are still a couple of questions I don't have answered.

I've seen the 360 highlight text that then goes to the clipboard, but can it simply highlight the text and have it stay highlighted the next time you come back to read the document? And when I highlight something can I add a note to it, or how exactly does the note feature work?

Thanks
dozey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozey123 View Post
I've read some great in depth reviews on here and watched some videos of the 360 but there are still a couple of questions I don't have answered.

I've seen the 360 highlight text that then goes to the clipboard, but can it simply highlight the text and have it stay highlighted the next time you come back to read the document? And when I highlight something can I add a note to it, or how exactly does the note feature work?

Thanks
I don't think it allows you to highlite. The note taking feature works in conjunction with the clipping feature. You select the text that you want to clip, select add new notepad, and then make your comment the title of the notepad. So you can either collect clippings from a book for future reference, make a comment on different passages (these will each be seperate notepads accessible from the main menu), or collect passages from different books in the same notepad (i.e., "cool ideas" or "fail moments," etc.). The comments do have a limitation however: punctuation is very limited due to how the notes are stored. Whenever you make a note, it generates an html file with a link to the clipping as a png image and with the comment (i.e. "Sherlock Holmes" or "Gee thats neat") as the title of the html. This limits you more than the sony or the kindle, but it is much easier to export the notes than with the Sony.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
gpsygirl
gpsygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
It is the highlighting and annotation features on the Sony 600 that attract me to it the most, even with its glare and reflection issues. I read mostly informational stuff and highlight or underline throughout a book, and/or take lots of notes. HOWEVER, All the positive things posted about the pocketbook 360 has me seriously reconsidering. It looks like a fantastic device. I have been pondering which to get for so long now that I hardly believe it's really going to happen, but my boyfriend has made it clear that this will be my Christmas gift so it's time to make a final decision and stick to it! How easy, really, is the notetaking on the pocketbook 360? It looks somewhat cumbersome. Also, am I to understand from your above post that you can save selections without retyping them yourself by highlighting and then making a title for highlighted section, and then easily export them to your computer? Thanks so much for any help, it's down to these two, and notetaking is of utmost importance to me!
gpsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsygirl View Post
It looks somewhat cumbersome.
The typing on the virtual keyboard was a very pleasant surprise for me. I very strongly dislike typing text messages and addresses on my mobile phone and I could not imagine that typing with 5 keys could be more elegant.
Guys in Kiev (TM) ;-) designed an absolutely excellent method of inserting text with their virtual keyboard. Have a look at this description:
http://pocketbook.com.ua/index.php?id=185
Use Translate.google.com
the coloured picture perfectly illustrates the use of the keyboard. It is very intuitive and very forgiving, so even if you press wrong initial button, you do not hav eto abandon trying to type that character, you can move around the entire keyboard.

With notes, you enter notes mode by pressing a button (that you can reconfigure to your tastes), highlight text you want to clip or annotate and then you can enter the note. You retrieve your notes not as a complete book with your hightlghts but as the fragments of text (or bitmap screenshots?, I am really not sure at the moment) from the book together with your annotations.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The text from the books is stored as a bitmap screenshot which is linked from an html file the name of which is your comment (I.e. that's interesting.html). These are stored in the notes folder of your device and are easily viewable in any web browser.
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
gpsygirl

That helps a lot, thank you both! And how cool is the google translation?! Is there anything at all you don't like about the device? I'm not sure I've heard anything negative about it!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Here is an example of the note taking function at work. This is a note I took during class on an arabic text I was studying.
Attached Files
File Type: zip notes.zip (3.2 KB, 525 views)
Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsygirl View Post
That helps a lot, thank you both! And how cool is the google translation?! Is there anything at all you don't like about the device? I'm not sure I've heard anything negative about it!

I do wish that I could increase the size of images in books. I also would like the EPUB handling capabilities of FBReader to improved (see my post in this forum). There may be an issue with how pictures are handled in mobi format; in some books the order in which they are displayed may be incorrect. Oh, and I wish it was more clear how exactly to generate thumbnails for the bookshelf's thumbnail view. As it is, some books show a thumbnail and most don't. These are relatively minor nitpicks though. The firmware itself is very stable and runs very smoothly without all the hang ups and resets that some of the other ebook devices suffer from. I really like the dictionary look up and the ability to thoroughly customize the lay out of the books I'm reading, on the fly.

Luqman
Old 11-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
gpsygirl

Thanks so much for the response! I am 99% sure that this is the one...