Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
jgilliam1955
jgilliam1955 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN

I am new to this ebook thing. Just heard about it about 3 weeks ago and bought the wife a Kindle 2 for her birthday. (She's going to get me one very soon.) I did not know about any other ereaders out there. I like to read and my wife does too. I have a job where I do a lot of reading and I have had to decide what to bring with me. At work two of the new enployees mentioned they do not read and can count on one hand the number of books they have read in there 24 years of life. I was stunned. I asked "Not even comic books?" they said "no" like it was something to be proud of. So what will happen to books?
Anyway I got off my thought train for a moment. The reason I am writing this is because as the idea started to sink in my thick head what this ebook think does, all I could think about was the money and trees it was going to save. These things are one of the answer to the GREEN MOVEMENT. They use very little power. No glue, paper, ink goes into a book. No gas used to tranport the books. No trying to wonder if you could fit one more book onto that over used book shelf. No recycling issues or filling up landfills.
As the price goes down and more people buy a ereader, I see the morning paper and magazines being downloaded. No paper. Sort of like the Debt Card. Who carries cash anymore? THIS IS BIG! If done right.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Debatable.

And welcome to MobileRead!

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
The reason I am writing this is because as the idea started to sink in my thick head what this ebook think does, all I could think about was the money and trees it was going to save. These things are one of the answer to the GREEN MOVEMENT. They use very little power. No glue, paper, ink goes into a book. No gas used to tranport the books. No trying to wonder if you could fit one more book onto that over used book shelf. No recycling issues or filling up landfills.
As the price goes down and more people buy a ereader, I see the morning paper and magazines being downloaded. No paper. Sort of like the Debt Card. Who carries cash anymore? THIS IS BIG! If done right.
Welcome and I agree with you. I'd love to find the stats on the number of paper-based books are sent to landfill each year, including paperbacks, harcover, text books, etc.!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
I to agree with you, try stuffing all the gear you need on your daily commute and the large to heavy book your reading. I have a sony 505 and love it. I hope you enjoy your reader and this amazing site as much as I do.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
This is a topic that's been debated for years here. It comes down to how many books are read on the device before it goes to recycling and how the user would've gotten books otherwise. If you are in the habit of walking or biking to your local lending library for your books, then I doubt this is greener. If you bought a lot of new books before and didn't pass them on, this is probably a good deal greener. There have been a few studies on the ecological break even point. You might find them with a board search.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Considering we can't get us US $1 note to go away because people are so set in their ways and have hundreds of rationalizations as to why they need it and a $1 coin won't work...

Considering we can't move to the metric system in the US when it would align us with most of the rest of the world and make having to learn all the stupid English to Metric conversions in school obsolete and keep NASA from crashing more probes on mars...

...it is going to take a LONG time before the paperless world really reaches critical mass.... heck even a long time before it reaches the tipping point.

...also, eBook readers being more green is also not set in stone. You are just replacing the use of some resources with the use of others.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Considering we can't get us US $1 note to go away because people are so set in their ways and have hundreds of rationalizations as to why they need it and a $1 coin won't work...
The rationale there is simple, there are a lot of union workers that work for the mint and depend on that, and prevent the coining mint to petition congress to discontinue the dollar bill. Thus the dollar coins stay 'novelty' items.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
The rationale there is simple, there are a lot of union workers that work for the mint and depend on that, and prevent the coining mint to petition congress to discontinue the dollar bill. Thus the dollar coins stay 'novelty' items.

-MJ
Besides you can't exchange coins easily in the foreign markets and the 2 dollar bill is pretty scarce.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Besides you can't exchange coins easily in the foreign markets and the 2 dollar bill is pretty scarce.
There is no 1 Euro note nor is there a $1 CDN note. Are you telling me you can't exchange those currencies easily?

Anyway, we are getting a bit off topic. (Surprise)

BOb
Old 06-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
There is no 1 Euro note nor is there a $1 CDN note. Are you telling me you can't exchange those currencies easily?

Anyway, we are getting a bit off topic. (Surprise)

BOb
Yes, that is so. Coins you are stuck with.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, that is so. Coins you are stuck with.

Dale
So, you are telling me that we haven't discontinued the $1 note because people that travel here from other countries won't do that any more if they have to return home with at most $4 in coin?

BOb
Old 06-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
jgilliam1955
jgilliam1955 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for the impute people. BESIDES the GREEN ISSUE, Has anyone used the "REDBOX" for DVD rental or Netflix? How much has changed over the last 10 to 20 years on DVD rentals? A lot of people are looking for what is convenient for them. DVD rental stores will be going away as more people run to the DVD rental machine right down the block or click on the TV to rent a movie instantly from Netflix. This is why the e-book readers will get better & more people will buy one. The publishers are saying a ebook is only 2 to 3 dollars cheaper than a regular hardcover book. Right now they do not want to deal with the coming storm. If an author can bypass the publisher & sell his book cheaper & make more money on the internet, why shouldn't he.
Most of us no longer write checks. How about music? Now it is time for the publishing companies to adapt or die. The Kindle 1 & 2 & Sony e-readers are leading the way.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:

Considering we can't move to the metric system in the US when it would align us with most of the rest of the world and make having to learn all the stupid English to Metric conversions in school obsolete and keep NASA from crashing more probes on mars...

...it is going to take a LONG time before the paperless world really reaches critical mass.... heck even a long time before it reaches the tipping point.

...also, eBook readers being more green is also not set in stone. You are just replacing the use of some resources with the use of others.

BOb
Wow, just a wee bit pessimistic?! Although I completely agree with you - sometimes this ol' "tried and true" BS can't get to me. To those who still think the USA is the brightest and best at everything need to get out more and realize the rest caught up and passed us a long time ago and we are just sitting here resting on our out of date laurels.

Regarding the ebook/greenie idea, I can sdee where it might not be as green for the passive reader, but I can see it making a big impact in the education sector...not only for the students, but also the institutions from elementary on up.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Wild View Post
Wow, just a wee bit pessimistic?!
I like to think that I am optimistic that people will resist change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Wild View Post
Although I completely agree with you
Of course you do. I love to hear this. FTW.

BOb
Old 06-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #15
F1Wild
Addict

Mmmm, so you're a "stic". Good for you!