Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-20-2009, 05:13 AM   #46
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
If I had to choose, it would be my Iphone (Not a touch I know but more), because, it does just act as an e-reader for me, but theres the other things as well.

Having said that - both go with me almost everywhere.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
If I had to choose, it would be my Iphone (Not a touch I know but more), because, it does just act as an e-reader for me, but theres the other things as well.

Having said that - both go with me almost everywhere.
If you had an iPod Touch instead of an iPhone, which would you then choose?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #48
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I would choose my Sony Reader over my touch easily. I like the touch as a more portable book reader for when I dont want to take my prs-505. In all actualality I think I am going to sell my Touch on fleabay soon. Its slick with a nice capacitive display, but it doesnt handle MP3s well, it doesnt handle videos well, and the appstore is overrated with the best program being stanza out there.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #49
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
I have an iPhone which i would give up for anything but i would keep my Sony Reader over my ipod touch anyday
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #50
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I stopped using my iTouch altogether now that I have my Sony PRS-505. I got used quickly to using the iTouch before I owned the Sony, but now I find it increasingly difficult to use it for reading.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #51
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I would keep both, my Sony reader and my Touch go everywhere with me.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #52
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I have neither device, so I'm not directly answering your question, but I was in the same position agonizing over getting an iTouch or an iPhone for several months, with the possibility of giving up physical books for ebooks as a factor, though the quality of internet access (both reading and writing) was my main concern. I was looking for an alternative to the sub-2" screen on my SE W580i phone, which caused noticeable eyestrain.

The solution I found was "none of the above;" I ended up with the MSI Wind U100, a netbook. While it can't serve me as an on-the-go MP3 player, neither could the iPhone or iTouch, due to the exorbitant cost of the larger-storage models, which are still too small. As a reader, I'm finding it superb. So long as I adjust brightness to my lighting conditions, I get zero eyestrain from the display, even reading in the dark in bed. The one con is the weight--at 3lbs, it's perfectly comfortable to prop on my chest in bed or cradle in my lap on the train or in an armchair, but you're not going to hold it up in front of your face for very long unless you're a bodybuilder or a Sherpa. If you have any interest in comic books, it also works great with CDisplay.

Anyway, you might consider a netbook. For me, it met the cost-to-utility ratio where none of the "i" products could (and a dedicated reader definitely could not). You have a lot of options these days in the $275-$400 price bracket. What sold me on the Wind were the price ($300) and good reviews of the keyboard. For battery life, the eeePCs are much better, but I plug in at home and at work and never run out of juice between. The only times I run down the battery are reading on the porch, which is pretty easily remedied by getting up and doing something while it charges back up
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #53
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I stopped using my iTouch altogether now that I have my Sony PRS-505. I got used quickly to using the iTouch before I owned the Sony, but now I find it increasingly difficult to use it for reading.
It's happening the other way around for me - I'm reading more & more on my iPhone. But the reason is that most of the books I read in e-form are not available to me on my 505, due to the disregard Sony has for Mac customers.

In fact, I am seriously considering getting a Kindle because of (1) the sync between the Kindle App and the Kindle when one reads a particular book, and (2) the larger universe of new books available from Amazon because of the aforesaid neglect by Sony of the Mac.

But putting all that aside, the fact of the matter is that because of the different ebook apps available for the iPhone/Touch, the iPhone/Touch wins if I had to go with just one reader.

The major advantage the 505 has over the Kindle is that it is smaller and therefore more portable. But my 505 is staying at home these days, because I have all the portable access I need with my iPhone.

With portability no longer in play, I am beginning to consider my ebook reader as being in two parts - the home base reader and the iphone. But all too much I find that the books I can get for my iPhone I can't get for my 505, but I could get for a Kindle.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #54
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Since I discovered the new improved Stanza and especially the ability of reading on black background with white letters - I'd prefer a slightly orange/yellow tone like on the 770 but white will do - I have been using the iTouch more than the 700 for some books, with the 700 more for others.

It's essentially about text flow vs speed of reading - I read faster on the Touch since I can scan the whole screen at a glance, but there are books not suitable for that where I need to have a bigger chunk of text for scanning.

Since the Touch is my main portable music device, I would always have one such for the car irrespective of e-reading, so the question is if that would be enough and the answer is mostly yes, but I would always want a bigger screen device - needs not be eink btw - for selected books, so in a nutshell I would definitely give up the 700 since the Touch is more versatile and is good enough for most ebooks but I'd rather have both
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #55
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Boy, that's a hard question. I don't have an iPod Touch, but if I had to choose between my e-book reader and my mp3 player *and* PDA (which is basically what a Touch would be for me)... I'd keep the e-book reader. But not without a whimper.

I can read e-books on my PDA, but the display is a lot less comfortable to read, and my e-book reader (a Kindle) is much more capable in terms of contacting the web, and obtaining new books, than my current PDA. Part of that is where I live--rural Tennessee, meaning wifi is available at home and at the library (and the only reason I have WiFi access there is that my husband works at the local college) and nowhere else, while Whispernet has pretty good coverage.

I really like that my PDA can function as my auxiliary brain and beep to remind me of chores and appointments, but I could go back to using a paper calendar and such.

I love my mp3 player, not least because it can record to mp3 (which the iPod touch can't do, as far as I know), but day-to-day I use it most for listening to the radio (which the iPod touch also can't do). But I could get a little radio for pretty cheap if I gave up the mp3 player, and I now have another, better mp3 recorder, and I could live without the tunes if necessary.

But I really really would hate to have to live without my magic book.

I'm thinking about getting an iPod Touch, because both my PDA and my mp3 player are getting a bit old and battered, but haven't made the move yet. Maybe for my birthday, or for Christmas, I'll ask for one.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #56
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
To answer the original question, I would keep my Kindle, but the I wouldn't willingly give up my iPod Touch. It's handy when I'm somewhere I don't want to have to carry the Kindle. But it also has other uses--like all the games and apps. It functions as a PDA for me, and my grandson loves all the preschool educational games I have on it.

I solved the finger print problem by using the "Product Image Power Support Anti-Glare Film Set for iPod touch" by Apple. It's matte finish pretty much eliminates the finger print problem. Using it as a reader when away from home does require pre-planning as books must be loaded while having access to the Internet.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #57
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
My Sony Prs-505.

The reader and ipod perform two different functions, albeit with some crossover: ereader-books, ipod-music.

I can listen to music on my PC (home and work) and my car stereo when traveling. The ipod touch is just a convenient way of keeping my tunes with me and available for listening. Although my reader has mp3 capability, I never listen to music on the reader.

The ipod can't touch the ereader for reading books. I like to read 6-8 books a month plus daily newspapers on my reader. Trying to read this much on a ipod would drive me crazy. The ipod screen is much to small for extended reading.

If you have to choose between the two, choose based on which function you prefer: music or reading. If you want to use the ipod primarily for music and infrequently for reading, (i.e. on plane trips etc.), by all means, buy the ipod. If you plan to read a lot buy a dedicated reader. The reader will be much easier on your eyes.

In either case: Enjoy!!

Last edited by Angst; 04-30-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #58
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
If you are thinking about a Kindle, and need to offset the costs, you can do two things (among others, of course), to earn amazon gift certificates. One is if you have a coinstar machine nearby (like in a grocery store), they'll waive the coin counting fee if you choose the option of getting an amazon gift certificate. And then start picking change up off the ground
This is actually how I purchased my ereader. I took about a years worth of spare change, ($250), and used a coinstar Amazon certificate to buy my Sony prs-505. Until now I've been absorbing the 9% fee for converting my coins to cash. Never again.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #59
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
This is actually how I purchased my ereader. I took about a years worth of spare change, ($250), and used a coinstar Amazon certificate to buy my Sony prs-505. Until now I've been absorbing the 9% fee for converting my coins to cash. Never again.
I roll my own change. I find it oddly satisfying.

But if I could get Sony gift certificates from the coinstar? I'd be on that so fast!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #60
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I use both everyday and can't see giving up either. It's kind of like asking a parent which of their kids they would give up. (btw The answer is normally all of them.)

I have reading apps installed on the Touch but I never use it for reading. I do have it as a backup if I broke my Cybook. If I had to choose I would give up the Touch before the Cybook.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote