Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Which light for your Sony Reader do you like best based on the photos?
Verilux 11 61.11%
Mighty Bright dual light 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which light for the Sony Reader?

The question I have is given the photos of the Verilux or the Mighty Bright dual light which would you get for your reader?

See the following thread for the photos. They are in there someplace...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9362

Jon

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-13-2007 at 11:28 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
For convenience's sake

Verilux is here

Mighty Bright Dual Light is here

I tried to bring them into the post directly, but I can't figure out how with the first ones, and it didn't seem fair to do one and not the other.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
booklights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The question I have is given the photos of the Verilux or the Mighty Bright dual light which would you get for your reader?

See the following thread for the photos. They are in there someplace...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9362

Jon
The Verilux:

Can be had from Amazon.
See this post.

The MightyBright:

See here.

Last edited by mogui; 06-20-2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Correct image supplied
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:44 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's the other, MightyBright he's talking about, mogui, the 'antenna' one.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:49 AM   #5
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Sonystyle has a cool reading light for Reader: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=20005520
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2007, 02:04 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by each View Post
Sonystyle has a cool reading light for Reader: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=20005520
problem is, I want to get a light for my Sony soon. The Sony Style stores do not have any in stock. So there is no way to go have a look at one.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I bought one from Sony two weeks ago at their Sony Style store in the Old Orchard mall, Illinois.

I also got the Verliux light. It's has the better light than the Sony, because it's brighter, spreads the light more evenly on the device, and has less glare. On the other hand, I noticed that the battery dies fairly quick (so better get a rechargeable one), that it's heavy, and fragile.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
First of all, don't go for Sony light (with all due respect to anyone who loves it , don't get angry at me). I have bought it and then I bought verilux. Sony light doesn't come even close in comparison. Verilux is so much ahead!
The main drawback is that if you want to avoid glare from a screen you have to position it on the reader's side and its light is too weak to lit a whole screen evenly, it is too deem and my eyes would get tired in 15 minutes after using it.
Verdict: Unacceptable because the light is too weak for my eyes.

Verilux vs. Bug (I will call mighttybright a "bug" just for fan )
My choise would be verilux.
IMHO
1. It is much smaller, compact and easier to handle than 2 antennas. Since I have sony light, which has 1 antenna and it is not bigger than Bug, I can compare them. Also, most likely it is easier to take on a trip. I have taken mine in a special small bag that comes with it, it is very convenient.

2. Bug uses 3 AAA vs. verilux 2 AA. You should choose for yourself what type of battery is more convenient for you. Probably their weight is almost the same.

3. I don't know how heavy Bug is. (Although it should not be too heavy I think, so it would not matter too much for me, but for some people it is important).

4. As someone pointed it out to me on another forum there is an insignificant or significant drawback to Bug vs verilux. It has 2 antenas that should be positioned on both sides of the reader with a certain angle towards the screen, just like it is shown on a pictures in another topic. It allows to avoid glaring effect and provides an even light across the screen which is wonderful but in my situation it would disturb my other half, because one of the antennas would always be pointing in her direction and the only reason why I needed additional lamp is to be able to read a book while my other half is blissfully sleeping next to me Also if my other half is sleeping to the left from me I can hold the reader like a real book and fa ront cover (at right angle to the reader) completely prevents the leakage of the hateful light

Last edited by astra; 06-14-2007 at 08:09 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Sorry guys, I still like this one better!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 07-28-2010 at 11:39 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
problem is, I want to get a light for my Sony soon. The Sony Style stores do not have any in stock. So there is no way to go have a look at one.
If you really want to look at one, you can generally find the same light at a Borders or Barnes & Nobles, it just won't be the all-black color scheme. I have one of those, but I prefer the MightyBright CCFL light that mogui posted a pic of above (Borders also typically carries those). Something about the full spectrum CCFL light looks really good on the Reader's display. But I agree, they're battery hogs -- rechargables are definitely in order.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would say my next trip would be to Borders and/or B&N to see what lights they have and hope they'd allow me to try them in store because if not and I purchase one and don't like it, it goes right back. I plan to go into town next week to meet my wife for lunch and there is a Borders and B&N within walking distance of her office. So I'll go look then.

Jon
Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Heh, I just sat down in the floor next to the shelf with my Reader a tried them all out -- just be careful how you open the boxes (or find boxes that someone else as already opened) and they probably won't even bat an eyelash.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Heh, I just sat down in the floor next to the shelf with my Reader a tried them all out -- just be careful how you open the boxes (or find boxes that someone else as already opened) and they probably won't even bat an eyelash.
Good idea. I'll just do that till I find one I like or decide I don't like any of them.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Take AA & AAA batteries with you if you mean to try models that use them -- the others usually come with batt's in them, but the more 'standard' sizes don't.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Take AA & AAA batteries with you if you mean to try models that use them -- the others usually come with batt's in them, but the more 'standard' sizes don't.
I have some AA batteries. Just have to make sure they have a charge. As for AAA I have no idea if we have any. I'll have to ask my wife if we do.