Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #901
nullgraph
nullgraph began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
jotran2003

I've since moved from PRSCusomizer to PRS+ and I'm now able to read Vietnamese on the PRS-505 now without embedding fonts into epub file (not mention playing sudoku and the like). For more details, see

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...64510&page=148
nullgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #902
peco
peco began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 LC
Where can I download the customizer? Thanx.
peco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #903
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
As the Link in post #1 is down load it from here:
http://code.google.com/p/prscustomizer/downloads/list
but be aware that this is outdated by now
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #904
mahroch
mahroch began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-500
Problem, please help

My friends,

I have problems with my PRS-500. I used PRScustomizer, read all the readme a nd followed all the steps as written. But problem occured.

I copied all the data to flash card, run the script, made copy, backups, ... and then moved to the step #5. But the srcipt ended with output of error. It recomended to push the reset button (the small pin on the back side) and restart the script. But the problem is, that it is not possible. After I press reset button nothing happens. I tried hold it shortly, long time, ... nothing. If I press reset and then turn the POWER button to switch it off, the reader blinks and starts againn, but freeze at the screen with Starting up ... I let it "start" for 3 hours, but nothing happend. Another try to switch it off by POWER button makes no action. The only thing is to press reset ... but then the cirle starts again ...

Do you have any idea what to do?

Thanx

Maros
mahroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #905
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Maros,

hi and welcome at MR! Sorry to read from your problems.

First thing. Do you really own a PRS-500? If so, PRSCustomizer 1.04 is, to my knowledge, for PRS-505 model.
Quote:
PRSCustomizer: A useful companion for your Sony PRS-505 Reader
Quote taken form the help-screen.

Though included UniversalFlasher also supports PRS500 with fw 1.0.03.07170

If, and only if the reader starts to run the AUTORUN-scripts on the MS/SD-Card you might be lucky to flash back the previous generated fsk.img. Its size should be 7340032 bytes for the PRS-500 and 8650752 for the 505.

Rename the backup to "new_opt.img" and copy it to the root of your card and run menu option 4.
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #906
mahroch

Hi Mark,

yes I have 500, not 505. i know about PRS customizer to be for 505, but it has info that it should work as well for 500 (I don't know where, but I read it somewhere around). If not, i just made a big mistake

Anyway, I go try the UniversalFlasher and I'll let you know.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #907
mahroch

Back again.

I run the universal flasher, but no change. After restart the screen goes "starting up ..." without any change or loading something from flash card ...

the fsk.img should be in internal memory of the reader, not on SD as I read in instructions ... but I'm not able to reach internal memory. The reader doesnot connect to PC (keeping the Starting up ... always on). However - it didn't connect neither before - my win7 64bit doesn't recognize it ...

any other idea? or time to change reader ? ;-)
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #908
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

There is the 10-times reset methode to get the reader into fw-update mode.
reset, restart once the screen flash reset again, repeat
After the 10th reset a message fw-update incomplete should come up.

You can also try to reset the reader. Switch on and connect within the next few seconds to USB. Probalby a single removeable device with one file !proteced show up.

Then you can try to run the stock-fw-updater.

Though I don't know if this is the "EPUB" enabled version. (and there is a PRS500.Rootfs+Fsk.2.0.00.09180.zip in aboved mentioned download location)

And here are some links found by googeling "Sony PRS-500 unbricking"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...17082&langid=2
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...36FbfnX4UenhiQ
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...SDBCtb1Fjhi5Fw
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Portable_Reader
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57906

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #909
mahroch

After letting the universal flasher run for some 1.5 hours (I lef to watch the movie) the reader wrote that firmware was not updated succesfully -at least some progress. I removed the card and preset reset and started the reader. The sign "Updating firmware apeared ..." so before doing anything else from Mark's last post I will wait some time .. maybe something will happen ...

I'll be back when I will come to any other step ...

thanx for help, so far
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #910
mahroch

Mark,
thanx for all the links and helps. However - nothing from that helped
1) ten times reset - nothing

2) hard reset (pressing VOL+ and MARK after restrt) - nothing

3) some special script ebook.py script - not even start to run (maybe problem, because I have win7 that uses Program Files (x86) instead of pure Program files ,... ) I tried it in different ways, folders, ... as written here - http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57906 but nothing helped

4) your idea of stock-fw-updater didn't helped - as PC doesn't see PRS in any way - I installed calibri (old as well as new versions), eBook Library and Sony Reader ... nothing worked to connect the PRS.

I remember that on my old laptop with WinXP it worked ... I will try to connect it there and that will be my last try ...

then I will throw it away ... because of my foolnes (prscustomiser is really only for 505 )
Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #911
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Quote:
"Updating firmware apeared ..."
sounds promising,
and you are right, you need an old OS and old libri or calibre software with special drivers to let the computer see the 500
Then give the stock-fw-updater a try
Old 12-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #912
mahroch

Mission "Resurrection" accomplished On my old laptop with Win Xp, 32bit I installed old version eBook Library which lead to install the correct drivers. After opening the soft said that Reader has error, however the underline information for me was that it was connected. Then I run the PRS-500 Updater 1.0.03.07170.exe and after finishing was my PRS-500 resurrected.

Thanx for all help with this.

Now I can focus back to the reason why I ruined it down with PRScustomiser - I'm slovak, and the special characters of central europe are not shown correctly. So I go to work on that again ... maybe the update already solved that - I need to check ...

Thanx again for help.