Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sounds to me like XnView is defining some system-wide Qt settings it shouldn't be.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #17
bladex01
bladex01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4 Touch
Here where i solved this problem:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209406
bladex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladex01 View Post
Except the OP already described TRYING deleting the settings folder from AppData\local without success.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if suspicion is falling on XnView I'd look for a user forum, or for author support for that software & ask if there are any known issues with other QT based software

there is a forum: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/, but a search of it for sigil comes up blank.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
fung0
fung0 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung LTE
Oh boy, this is just weird. Sigil 0.7.2 is working again.

I have changed absolutely nothing... I haven't reinstalled Sigil, or rebooted, or even shut down any of the software I was running yesterday. Last night: error. Today: runs fine. (Even after multiple starts and stops of XnView. Were my previous observations sheer coincidence? I don't know. I am working on joining the XnView forums to post a query, anyway.)

Based on advice in that other thread about .ini settings (thanks for the link!), I did start to install 0.6.2 earlier today. But I aborted the process when I realized 0.6.2 wanted to go into the same folder 0.7.2 was already using. Could the installer have changed something, even though it didn't actually run past that initial dialog?? If so, what?

Maybe Sigil will just go on working now. Or maybe I'm being haunted...
fung0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I blame XnView since it is the program putting the faulty entries into the registry. I suggest you stop using it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
fung0

Stop using XnView. Great idea. Except it turns out that XnView is innocent.

This afternoon, I ran Sigil and XnView in every conceivable combination. No problems at all. But just a few minutes ago, Sigil refused to run again. This time, practically the only other thing left running on my PC was Winamp. I shut down Winamp. Sigil loaded perfectly. I ran Winamp again. Sigil refused to load. I shut down Winamp. Sigil ran perfectly. I've tried this about a dozen times. Exact same result every time. I've tried other combinations of software, but so far only Winamp seems to produce this result.

This weird connection between Sigil and Winamp never occurred to me. Partly because they're such totally unrelated applications. And partly because I've been using Winamp for a decade or so, through several versions of Windows, concurrently with MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, CorelDRAW, Handbrake, Firefox... just about every piece of software you can imagine, even some games. And never, ever, EVER had a problem.

No, I'm afraid this is now pretty clearly a Sigil issue. If I can be of help in resolving it, I'll be glad to provide further input.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

If there's anything clear about this whole issue, it's that nothing is clear.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a very good solution to your problem. Dump Winamp and go wih Foobar2000. I did that long before Sigil existed. Sigil and Foobar2000 get along very well and Foobar2000 is a better music player then Winamp.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
fung0

I've used Foobar for extended periods, never got to like it. Also, I'd have to start over rebuilding my configuration of plugins and skins (some of which I've actually paid for over the years). No thanks... I'd rather be listening to music.

Anyway, I have great faith that Sigil will get fixed. If it can conflict with something as harmless as Winamp, it's got issues that can't be ignored.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fung0 View Post
I've used Foobar for extended periods, never got to like it. Also, I'd have to start over rebuilding my configuration of plugins and skins (some of which I've actually paid for over the years). No thanks... I'd rather be listening to music.

Anyway, I have great faith that Sigil will get fixed. If it can conflict with something as harmless as Winamp, it's got issues that can't be ignored.
How do you prove it is Sigil is at fault?
All you can prove is they don't play well together.
BTW Winamp was notorious for not playing nice, way back when.

VLC all the way .
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #27
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it is unlikely that sigil and winamp cannot co-exist given the popularity of both.

It is hard to believe that you are the 1st person to test that combo...

+1 for foobar2000 - it just sounds better than all the other players - subjective maybe but I am a musician & I am attuned to these things. VLC comes close ,zoom player is definitely poorer. After a bit of playing with options& add-ons I got it to look good also - yes a skip forward/back would be nice ( a la VLC) but I can sacrifice that for sound quality. so it is now my default on all PCs

Ps foobar2000 & sigil are best friends

Last edited by cybmole; 06-04-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #28
fung0

How can I prove it's Sigil's fault??

I have a huge amount of software on my system, none of which has ever had a problem with Winamp. MS Office, LibreOffice, Adobe Creative Suite, CorelDRAW, dozens of Steam games - even Sigil 0.6.x. So, when I update Sigil to version 0.7.2 and it (alone of all my software) doesn't want to "play well," it must be the fault of... Winamp??

Seriously?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #29
fung0

Cybmole, I grant you that there probably is a third factor involved, beyond just Winamp and Sigil. Otherwise, there would be more problem reports similar to mine.

But whatever it is that's unique, it's not all THAT unique. I'm running a pretty vanilla Windows 7 PC here. And out of all the software I use daily (and I use more than most), ONLY Sigil 0.7.2 is having problems. Even XnView - which I unfairly suspected mainly because, like Sigil, it's in long-term beta - runs like a charm. Whatever quirk of my setup you'd like to blame for the problems, XnView is smart enough to deal with it. Sigil 0.7.2 is not.

If I was the developer of Sigil, I think I'd want to understand why. Not just live in denial.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #30
cybmole
Wizard

i agree with both points
1. there must be a 3rd factor
2. devs should look into & publish compatibility findings

i also have win 7 64 & have no issues but don't have your range of software. I do have office 2007 , vlc, zoom player & steam games - no issues with those