Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
anyone like Charlotte MacLeod?

I've just gone on a re-read of my old Charlotte MacLeod mysteries (I love the Peter Shandy ones best). I'm in the mood for more like her -not just cozy mysteries, but with the same kind of wry humor MacLeod had. Any recommendations?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
If my memory serves me rightly she wrote using several pen-names; including 'Ailsa Craig.'
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got some of the Alisa Craig books (The Wrong Rite), but not all of them.

I'm looking for new or similar authors.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
-not just cozy mysteries
I've seen that term used here and also a few other sites, but never really knew what it means.

Lo and behold there's a wiki definition!

"Cozy mysteries, also referred to simply as "cozies," are a subgenre of crime fiction in which sex and violence are downplayed or treated humorously, and the crime and detection take place in a small, socially intimate community. The term was first coined in the late 20th century when various writers produced work in an attempt to re-create the Golden Age of Detective Fiction."

And now it makes total sense.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
I also think she's a great author. I enjoy her Sarah Kelling series as well as the Peter Shandy books and bought all the books in both series when they were published at the end of last year and Books on Board were offering 50% off.

You could try Lilian Jackson Braun's Jim Qwilleran series also known as The Cat Who series.

If you don't mind a British setting you could try looking at the thread entitled 'British Mystery Recs needed' which has lots of recommendations for mostly British authors.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I enjoyed some of the Cat Who books, but they got old after awhile, and I stopped reading and enjoying them.

I don't mind British books - right now I just want comfort reads.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Check out Literature Map here http://www.literature-map.com/

Enter your author's name (Charlotte MacLeod, in this case) and hit Enter. A new window then opens with her name in the middle and lots of other authors arrayed around her. The closer, physically, to her they are, the more like her they are.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Oh, is that cool! I haven't heard of Joan Hess, who is the closest. I'll have to look her up. Thanks for a lovely tool!