Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Can't make cover the first page in epub

I'm sure it's something whacky in the coding that I'm just not getting. I've been in a mood to clean up my epubs lately (correct really bad formatting, remove embedded fonts, add TOCs, clean up images, etc.) and opened up the Douay-Rheims Bible from Project Gutenberg. The cover page appears last and no matter what I do, I can't force it to be first in the book.

I only downloaded this book awhile ago to test if it choked my Sony reader for someone else (it didn't), but kept it just in case. Even though I may never use it, it's bugging me that I can't force the last page to appear first and I just need to know why at this point .

Page naming starts with
www.gutenberg.org@files@1581@1581-0.txt through www.gutenberg.org@files@1581@1581-100.txt. (Ignore the links here, I keep removing them, forum keeps adding them back when I post.)

Each line of text in the pages has a numbered id, such as <p id="id00001"> through <p id="id40632">, for about 97 of the pages, last 3 do not use the ids.

I tried to add an id to the cover page but still can't get it to appear first, it appears last in the book. Here's the cover page code, but it's identical to epubs I've done and I don't have this problem.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <meta content="text/css" http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" />
  <link href="../Styles/pgepub.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
  <meta content="EpubMaker 0.3 by Marcello Perathoner &lt;webmaster@gutenberg.org&gt;" name="generator" />

<title></title>

<style type="text/css">
@page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
</style>
</head>

<body id="id00000">
  <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="none" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 600 800" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
    <image height="800" width="600" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg"></image>
  </svg>
</body>
</html>
I've tried adding an id=00000 to the cover page, adding div to it, I can't remember everything I've tried to be honest at this point, but I must be doing something wrong.

When I created the TOC though, it let me add it at the beginning of the book.

Any ideas how to force the cover to page 1?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Make it the first file in the "Text" folder in Sigil's Book Browser?
(which will make it the first entry in the spine of the OPF File -- which ultimately dictates the order)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Finally! To do it I had to manually edit the content.opf file to insert the line 2nd under <spine> (after the styles.css comment), and also had to remove linear="no" at the end of the line for the cover.

Under the tree in the left pane, it was listed as the first item, then the TOC, and then the regular pages, but for some reason it still wasn't appearing first.

Thanks for mentioning the opf file so I looked through that more. Although I don't know why just having it in the correct position wasn't enough and it had to be edited manually.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-07-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The "linear='no'" was the surely culprit. I don't think Sigil has the facilities to alter/remove/add the "linear" attribute of spine items. So it (Sigil) probably just left that entire entry alone. That's why you had to change it manually in the OPF.

But the renderer in your reader is ultimately responsible for how "linear=no" gets interpreted. It looks like in your case, it didn't remove it entirely from the flow of the book, but did leave it until very last.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote