Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
jahindy
jahindy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo 1.9 and Kobo Vox
Kobo 1.9 Factory Reset

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, just signed up today. I am hoping someone can help me.
I have a Kobo 1.9 (original?) which I need to reset to Factory status because I need to change my email address on the account, and I am wondering, will I lose all my books that are on the device and have to resync them to my reader?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!
jahindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask Kobo questions in the Kobo forum. I am moving this thread there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I think if you do a factory reset, any books on internal storage will disappear.
I keep all my ebooks on an SDcard, which means if I factory reset, those books won't disappear.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Note that all books purchased directly from Kobo and synced with wifi or desktop application are synced back after reset.

All sideloaded books are lost.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
All sideloaded books are lost.
If you mean sideloaded books as books saved on the SDcard, I can confirm through experience that a factory reset does not delete those books.
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
If you mean sideloaded books as books saved on the SDcard, I can confirm through experience that a factory reset does not delete those books.
Sideloaded has a specific meaning (and doesn't just mean on an SD card), it means anything loaded in a non-Kobo software fashion e.g. drag'n'drop on computer direct to reader showing as mounted drive...

Factory resets do not delete SD cards (which should be removed anyway if doing Factory reset) but they will remove content on internal memory however originally loaded...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
danskmacabre
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Sideloaded has a specific meaning (and doesn't just mean on an SD card), it means anything loaded in a non-Kobo software fashion e.g. drag'n'drop on computer direct to reader showing as mounted drive...

Factory resets do not delete SD cards (which should be removed anyway if doing Factory reset) but they will remove content on internal memory however originally loaded...

OK, I wasn't sure what sideloaded meant, which is why I qualified my response.
Nice to know what sideloaded means now tho, thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Yes true. I should clarify a little bit.

So sideloaded books on internal memory are lost during factory reset. Books stored on sd card are safe.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
BigJ
BigJ began at the beginning.

Being new to ereaders (Touch is my first device), quick question regarding "Sideloading". How is drag and dropping to main storage different from say using the desktop software to transfer books? I've not noticed any difference in the few weeks of playing with it.

Cheers
BigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
GoingDown
Zealot

Sideloading = Loading books to device any other means than the Direct purchase from Kobo shop.

When you purchase book from Kobo and synchronize it to device, you get so called kepub (Kobo epub). When copying book via ADE, Calibre or directly dragging and dropping, you will get normal epub file.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
BigJ
BigJ began at the beginning.

Thanks for the clarification
BigJ is offline   Reply With Quote