Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyster View Post
Its funny/sad that when the Asus Transformer came out, it was so bug ridden that it wasnt worth buying, after some time some of the bugs were fixed, now the Transformer is a pretty good tablet.

The Asus Transformer Prime just came out and it also is bug ridden and not worth buying, it has major issues with wi-fi and GPS.

They just announced not long after the Prime came out the new Transformer is coming out in the 2nd quarter.
Apparently the problem is the design, they "forgot" to add an RF window to allow the WiFi, GPS and BT signals through; the all metallic back is nice but impractical. The next one coming out, which you pointed out, will have that fixed, plus it will have an HD (1920x1080) screen.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdi View Post
Getting books between apps, or from Calibre into a particular app requires more effort. You have to disconnect the USB end of the charging cable from the wall wart, and then connect it to your PC. Then use Windows Explorer (assuming not a Mac) to find the folders each app is using, and drag and drop them from the Calibre folder.
This is one issue I've never had with Android. In all the Android reader apps I've tried, I'm able to set a "watch" folder which the reader app searches for ebooks. Some apps copy the ebooks to their own folders while some just read the books directly from the "watch" folder. As for file transfers, I use File Expert which works fairly seamlessly with Windows shares. I think Linux NFS might be supported, too. Granted, I still connect via cable if I have a lot of files I need to copy. Wireless just takes too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Apparently the problem is the design, they "forgot" to add an RF window to allow the WiFi, GPS and BT signals through; the all metallic back is nice but impractical. The next one coming out, which you pointed out, will have that fixed, plus it will have an HD (1920x1080) screen.
Lol, so that's why. I just saw the 1st gen Transformer at Office Depot yesterday and it was a thing of beauty. It seemed lighter than the iPad 2, too, although it's hard to actually tell with the security cable plugged in the back. I've been considering getting the Transformer since it was released based solely on the spec sheet but figured it might be best to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich. Now, I'm definitely convinced I'll get the new Transformer when it comes out.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
gstephen70
gstephen70 doesn't littergstephen70 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
This is one issue I've never had with Android. In all the Android reader apps I've tried, I'm able to set a "watch" folder which the reader app searches for ebooks. Some apps copy the ebooks to their own folders while some just read the books directly from the "watch" folder. As for file transfers, I use File Expert which works fairly seamlessly with Windows shares. I think Linux NFS might be supported, too. Granted, I still connect via cable if I have a lot of files I need to copy. Wireless just takes too long.

Lol, so that's why. I just saw the 1st gen Transformer at Office Depot yesterday and it was a thing of beauty. It seemed lighter than the iPad 2, too, although it's hard to actually tell with the security cable plugged in the back. I've been considering getting the Transformer since it was released based solely on the spec sheet but figured it might be best to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich. Now, I'm definitely convinced I'll get the new Transformer when it comes out.
Hi all. I wanted to add that I have since figured out how to optimize the settings for book reading on the Transformer. I have also upgraded all the Asus tablets to ICS. All I can say is WOW. Everything seems to move faster. I also like the additional customization features ICS offers.

Oh, and I finally broke down and bought my own. 32GB on Amazon warehouse deals "Like New" for $324 with free shipping.
gstephen70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstephen70 View Post
Hi all. I wanted to add that I have since figured out how to optimize the settings for book reading on the Transformer. I have also upgraded all the Asus tablets to ICS. All I can say is WOW. Everything seems to move faster. I also like the additional customization features ICS offers.

Oh, and I finally broke down and bought my own. 32GB on Amazon warehouse deals "Like New" for $324 with free shipping.
Good for you. I just installed CM9 ICS on my TouchPad yesterday so I'm quite content with waiting for the new Transformer. Too bad CM9 still has battery drain issues. I'm finding I like web surfing using Chrome on Android much better than Safari on the iPad. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with using the iPad right now while the TouchPad recharges.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thumbs up

Just purchased an Asus Transformer. The Blackberry Playbook is going back to the Shop. I find the Transformer more versatile and, after upgrading to ICS, its gr8. the problem with the Blackberry, is the lack of Apps. I like it but am constricted by RIM's poor selection of apps.

You can download so many ebook Readers, video playing devices and just fun things. I purchased it for $250 (Open Box) at BB. Someone had left his 32GB SD Card in it. So I have 48GB of Storage.

Still intending to test the Sony Tablet S and Samsung Galaxy.
insync44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #21
bopfan
bopfan began at the beginning.

Device: LG G-Pad II, Kobo Aura, Mac Mini, Asus MEmoPad
Ideal settings in Calibre for epub output to a Prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstephen70 View Post
Hi all. I wanted to add that I have since figured out how to optimize the settings for book reading on the Transformer.
Well the title is a bit long....but I am hoping that someone might have some tips on which settings to use in Calibre for outputting to the Asus Prime.

On Page Setup I have alternated between using the so-called generic settings for a tablet, or, the settings for an iPad, or, the Samsung Galaxy and even the settings for a Color Nook. Most of the time the results are fine...and there doesn't seem (at least so far) to be a whole lot of difference in the results. Every once in awhile I get some 'fractured' texts.....sentences or paragraphs out of order etc. Rarely but it does happen....I wonder if it is because the original book had some artsy design format that just doesn't convert correctly?

I am, unfortunately, converting from pdf files to epub format. I understand that the pdf format is not the best starting point but that's what I have. So with that in mind does anyone have some recommendations based on their own experiences? Thanks!
bopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #22
OldGunbunny
Enthusiast
OldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: 9 or so at last count
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Apparently the problem is the design, they "forgot" to add an RF window to allow the WiFi, GPS and BT signals through.
I have no problem with WiFi or BT signals. The internal GPS on the Transformer is junk. Using a Globalstat external GPS receiver (a BT connection) fixed that issue.
OldGunbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #23
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
When I first glanced at it, I misread the brand name ASUS, so that the thread title seemed to read "Using my daughter's Ass Transformer."

Immediately, I was plunged into a dismal universe in which people on airplane flights used the device to take up more space, their ever-expanding buttocks pushing me out into the aisle and then into the flight attendants' station.

Or perhaps an ass transformer could be used to mold donkeys into the shapes of national monuments. No one would get much riding done, but at least the barnyard would look more patriotic.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-25-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #24
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
Transformer?

I don't think the original poster knows too much about tablets. An Android tablet is an obvious platform for eReading. The new Transformer Infinity has a pre-installed eReader app that is pretty good, aside from the numerous eReading apps available like:

Moon Reader+
Cool Reader
FBReader
Kindle app
Nook app
Kobo app
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #25
bopfan
bopfan began at the beginning.

Device: LG G-Pad II, Kobo Aura, Mac Mini, Asus MEmoPad
Have been using Mantano Pro as a reader on my Asus tablets for quite awhile. Like it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post
I don't think the original poster knows too much about tablets. An Android tablet is an obvious platform for eReading. The new Transformer Infinity has a pre-installed eReader app that is pretty good, aside from the numerous eReading apps available like:

Moon Reader+
Cool Reader
FBReader
Kindle app
Nook app
Kobo app
bopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
Good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopfan View Post
Have been using Mantano Pro as a reader on my Asus tablets for quite awhile. Like it a lot.
Good choice. It is a great eReading application. I also suggest Moon Reader+ Pro and Cool Reader. You can fine tune your eReading experience very well with these. I am now using Moon Reader as my main app on a Google Nexus 10 tablet.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #27
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post
I am now using Moon Reader as my main app on a Google Nexus 10 tablet.
Whereas I'm using Moon Reader as my main reading app on a dinky Samsung Galaxy S.

How is that ppi ratio treating you, Isles -- have you noticed a comparative lack of eye strain?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote