Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
With my ASUS Transformer, I'm one of a million...

What a sleeper hit! Read further from my source, or from the original source.

Quote:
Asus have sold 1.2m Transformers since it launched in April, and are ontrack for 1.8m for the 3/4 of a year of 2011...

Not too shabby at all. Whilst all the media have been talking about Xoom and Tab, it seems consumers were actually buying Transformers....
Last Christmas, I was ready to buy my first android tablet and was about to "pull the trigger" on the Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab, but was inadvertently alerted to the ASUS Transformer and waited for it's release in Spring 2011.

I bought it and have never regretted it. So that makes me one of 1.2M users... not to be confused with me being one in a million!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It is esp. considering they only produced 100K units on launch date because they expected sales to be small.

Of course they where the only ones that did it right. A good price with WIFI option not forcing one to be tied to a carrier.

Also the keyboard integration was excellent.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It is esp. considering they only produced 100K units on launch date because they expected sales to be small.
The initial units were in scarce supply with only two Canadian retail outlets (Staples and Canada Computers) carrying them. No Best Buy exposure at that time, even though they had the ACER Iconia tablet!

Quote:
Of course they where the only ones that did it right. A good price with WIFI option not forcing one to be tied to a carrier.
So true, the price was a nice incentive. However, the lack of a phone (and carrier 3G data plan) was what actually STOPPED me from buying the Galaxy 7" Tab. In Europe, the Galaxy Tab's phone was active, but not so in North America! Though, in retrospect, holding a 7" device to one's ear may have looked (and felt) awkward....

Quote:
Also the keyboard integration was excellent.
And the keyboard makes a great stand, except for when I need to rotate the screen vertical!

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-01-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I'll take being one of a million instead of one in a million--I love my TF!
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
This is a product that looks interesting .... combining netbook and tablet
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
*sigh* It's more expensive now than it was during release. I remember seeing it for $350 on Amazon when it was first released. Now it's selling for retail price. >.<
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I picked up a new 32GB version for the price of a 16GB off of Ebay for my wife's Christmas gift. Played with it a bit (have to make sure it works afterall ) and while I still really have no use for a tablet myself, it was a pretty spiffy device, and might even consider getting the Transformer Prime when it comes out.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
Same here.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
I am told Bestbuy has a huge supply of these so keep an eye on the sales fliers.

It or the Iconia a500 are on my list if the price drops far enough.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
This is a product that looks interesting .... combining netbook and tablet
True, and if I had been in the market for a 10" screen, I'd have bought that one. But I find 10" simply too large...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But I find 10" simply too large...

My first netbook was the ASUS eee PC 1000H 10" netbook and it was smaller than the laptop it replaced but bigger than the previous generation 7"/8"/9" netbooks.

It had a good balance between keyboard size and desktop viewport size, especially when viewing webpages and MS Excel files. It was also lightweight!!!

What is your ideal size for a netbook/tablet?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post

My first netbook was the ASUS eee PC 1000H 10" netbook and it was smaller than the laptop it replaced but bigger than the previous generation 7"/8"/9" netbooks.

It had a good balance between keyboard size and desktop viewport size, especially when viewing webpages and MS Excel files. It was also lightweight!!!

What is your ideal size for a netbook/tablet?
7" tablet. Don't even consider a netbook unless it's a convertible. I do have a (cheepo) 10" tablet and it's simply too large to take with me everywhere I go. And it's too large to hold with one hand (so useless for reading for me).

My laptop, on the other hand, is a beast. And I don't want a small laptop. The functions of both devices are just not interchangeable nor do I want them to be.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
7" tablet. Don't even consider a netbook unless it's a convertible. I do have a (cheepo) 10" tablet and it's simply too large to take with me everywhere I go. And it's too large to hold with one hand (so useless for reading for me).
My Nook Color (rooted tablet with Phiremod v6.3) is a great example of a 7" device, with a high resolution screen, that is ideal for ebook reading, although it too suffers from too great a weight over extended periods of time (compared to a 10" tablet it is perfectly acceptable in that regard).

Quote:
My laptop, on the other hand, is a beast. And I don't want a small laptop. The functions of both devices are just not interchangeable nor do I want them to be.
In summary, for a tablet, I prefer a 10" device, for a laptop anything less than 17" is not functional for me and for an ebook reader anything less than 8" is just for texts/novels not technical/pdf documents!

So, if you need to use just ONE device, then I would surmise that the 10" tablet (especially when coupled with a physical keyboard) is a good compromise.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
nrapallo

UK Stuff's Gadget of the Year (2011)

Transformer wins Gadget of the year.

Beating iPad2, in the overall category. The Transformer didn't win as best tablet, though.

Quote:
A hybrid laptop-tablet computer is the unexpected winner of Stuff magazine's gadget of the year award.

Asus's Eee Pad Transformer beat the iPad 2 to the top prize, despite stronger demand for Apple's device.

It is a marketing coup for the Taiwanese company ahead of the busy Christmas shopping period. It may also aid Asus with the imminent launch of an upgraded version of its product.

However, other journalists voiced surprise at the choice.

"Despite the iPad 2 being a finer tablet in the purest sense, the Asus Eee Pad Transformer offers so much more," Stuff's consulting editor, Simon Osborne-Walker, told the BBC.

"The clip-on keyboard means it can be as much about productivity as leisure.

"Best tablet? No. Best netbook? Probably not. But as a combo of the two - awesome."
Read more about this from My source or the Original source