Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 10-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Dickinson, Emily: Poems - Three Series. Oct 22 2007.

Three series in one volume, with an Index of First Lines.

From Wikipedia:

"Dickinson's poetry was collected after her death by Higginson and Mabel Loomis Todd, with Todd initially collecting and organizing the material and Higginson editing. They edited the poems extensively in order to regularize the manuscripts' punctuation and capitalization to late nineteenth-century standards, occasionally rewording poems to reduce Dickinson's obliquity. A volume of Dickinson's Poems was published in Boston in 1890, and became quite popular; by the end of 1892 eleven editions had sold. Poems: Second Series was published in 1891 and ran to five editions by 1893; a third series was published in 1896."

Version 1_1 fixes a few bad links in the Index.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dickinson_Poems Three Series_v1_1.zip (203.1 KB, 912 views)
File Type: prc Dickinson_Poems Three Series.prc (239.7 KB, 1483 views)
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Reminds me of something said by a character on an episode of "Babylon 5". "Every Elimly Dickinson poem can be sung to the tune of 'The yellow rose of Texas'". But I guess this is true of every poem in iambic pentameter.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchase View Post
Three series in one volume, with an Index of First Lines.

From Wikipedia:

"Dickinson's poetry was collected after her death by Higginson and Mabel Loomis Todd, with Todd initially collecting and organizing the material and Higginson editing. They edited the poems extensively in order to regularize the manuscripts' punctuation and capitalization to late nineteenth-century standards, occasionally rewording poems to reduce Dickinson's obliquity. A volume of Dickinson's Poems was published in Boston in 1890, and became quite popular; by the end of 1892 eleven editions had sold. Poems: Second Series was published in 1891 and ran to five editions by 1893; a third series was published in 1896."

Version 1_1 fixes a few bad links in the Index.
Merci for the upload

hidari
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for this.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
They edited the poems extensively in order to regularize the manuscripts' punctuation and capitalization to late nineteenth-century standards, occasionally rewording poems to reduce Dickinson's obliquity.
Ah, and therein lies the rub.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchase View Post
They edited the poems extensively in order to regularize the manuscripts' punctuation and capitalization to late nineteenth-century standards, occasionally rewording poems to reduce Dickinson's obliquity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Ah, and therein lies the rub.
hm, yes, didn't notice that bit... perhaps i'll try to find a more authentic version.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Zelda, the Universe is a strange place. I have searched high and low for an eBook version of a faithful collection of Emily Dickinson's poems, preferably the one edited by Thomas H. Johnson, which is available in print. A Dickinson scholar, he probably has the most faithful and complete collection. I have been frustrated by this search--until today. I was browsing Fictionwise today and found out that this week they have released in eBook format (mobi):

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson

It has 1775 poems and fragments. It is also intended as a "reading text" (as opposed, say, to a "researcher/scholar text") and so only one form of each poem is presented.

When I found the eBook today, I wasted no time buying it.

Happy happy joy joy!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

wow, that is indeed excellent news !!! thanks for passing along the tip ! i am rushing off to fictionwise right this second.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
Seabound
Steerage Class

Alas, the publishers' eBook departments don't seem to have any respect for poetry. I imagine this department to be a one-man operation who inputs text into a software black box and whatever comes out is called an eBook without any further thought. Sigh.

I noticed, using mobipocket reader, that the lines of the poems are center-aligned instead of being left-justified, not like the print edition at all. Fortunately, converting from mobi to ePub using calibre fixes the problem. There is also no way of knowing from the original file which lines should be indented, as required by some of the poems.

The eBook is also missing the all-important index of first lines, which the print edition has.

Sigh, this just tells me that publishers still are not taking eBooks seriously. This is not the first time I've seen sloppy eBook formatting in eBooks I've paid for--in fact, it's pretty common.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

well that is very disappointing. i added the book to my wish list but didn't buy it yet, so i guess i will wait... in the meantime, it's far less convenient but it might be useful to you as a reference, have you seen this site ? http://www.bartleby.com/113/ it presents the complete poems of Emily Dickinson online. i'm not sure whether these are the original poems or the "arranged" versions, but you might want to take a look just in case... at the very least, if you plan to do extensive editing of your epub version, it might help you there ; they seem to have taken a bit of trouble with the formatting.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #11
Seabound
Steerage Class

Thanks, Zelda. I'm also planning to send emails to the publisher and to Fictionwise. I'll try my best not to be snarky.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Thanks, Zelda. I'm also planning to send emails to the publisher and to Fictionwise. I'll try my best not to be snarky.
heh... good luck with that, and let us know if you get any replies. i'm glad you're taking the trouble to write ; i think it's really important to let the publishers know what we want, and that we want it a *lot*. hopefully they'll listen.