Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
timpearson26
Enthusiast
timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Newb question: how to get kindle purchases into Calibre

Sorry for this dumb question, but I have been searching for an hour now and still cant figure it out.

I am using a Mac btw.

I just downloaded calibre. I have purchased one book for Amazon that I read on my Ipad using the kindle app. I also read the book on my 'Kindle for Mac' app.

How do I get that book to show up in Calibre. Is there a way to save the amazon book to my computer as a file?
timpearson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
K4Mac downloads the ebook to your Mac. I don't know where it is stored though (under Windows it is My Documents\My Kindle Content).

Note that most Kindle ebooks have DRM (encryption) and each DRMed Kindle file is locked to one device. So your iPad and Mac ebook will be different files because of encryption.

Calibre can manage your DRMed ebooks, but there are also 3rd party Clibre plug-ins that will strip the DRM as part of the import process. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more info on DRM issues.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
timpearson26
Enthusiast
timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
K4Mac downloads the ebook to your Mac. I don't know where it is stored though (under Windows it is My Documents\My Kindle Content).

Note that most Kindle ebooks have DRM (encryption) and each DRMed Kindle file is locked to one device. So your iPad and Mac ebook will be different files because of encryption.

Calibre can manage your DRMed ebooks, but there are also 3rd party Clibre plug-ins that will strip the DRM as part of the import process. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more info on DRM issues.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know about the DRM issue. I've been considering buying a kindle 3, but reading more about this DRM thing is making me think that I might just stick with paper.

Does anyone know where the file is stored on a mac. I read somewhere that it was under: username/documents/my kindle content but I did not see a folder with that name in that location.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
timpearson26
Enthusiast

If anybody else is interested, I found the answer myself. I remembered that by using the app 'appcleaner' I could just drag the 'Kindle' app into 'appcleaner' like I wanted to delete it, and it would show me all of the files associated with the app.

So anyway, the file extension is

'username'/library/application support/kindle/my kindle content