Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #31
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Or you can cart around the heavier, thicker device.
That sounds like a WAG (Wild A$$ Guess). How much heavier and how much thicker? My WAG is no noticeable amount for a decently engineered design. The greatest contributors to weight and thickness are the battery itself and the display assembly, and those do not change using the cheaper non user replaceable battery.
A non user replaceable battery primarily just reduces manufacturing costs and increases the profit realized from replacing a cheap battery for a much greater than cheap price when and if the user needs it.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #32
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That sounds like a WAG (Wild A$$ Guess). How much heavier and how much thicker? My WAG is no noticeable amount
Already covered.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=21
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #33
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Can you possibly post without personally insulting other people here that disagree with you?
and just who the heck was I "attacking"? My comment was a general observation. Now if you feel it applies to you then perhaps a small vacation from the 100+ posts/day is in order.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #34
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Battery failure/replacement is not a monthly (probably not yearly either) occurence. You'd manage.

Or you can cart around the heavier, thicker device.
And yet when you travel there is zero ability to replace a depleted battery. This is a MOBILE device. And it seems you do not take into account that in a year or so the battery will be around 70% of new capacity depending on use/charging patterns. Nope I expect to be able to have extra batteries on hand when I need them. EPD devices do not really fit into this category but I am still quite disappointed that Amazon chose to remove the access to the battery which was present on the K1. That device to me was perfectly designed save for the buttons on the side pressing outward and that actually had a pretty frustrating keyboard. On the K2 series they got the nav buttons right and sort of whiffed on the keyboard but I rarely use it anyway. But I just never have felt as pleased with the Kindles since we lost the ability to swap batteries on the fly.

Just where would one find a receptacle on a pack fishing trip that stays around 9K-10K ft? And forget taking something like a slate device on which to read. Now Toshiba gets it, business users and those who actually use the beasts as mobile devices will appreciate this return to sanity by at least one brand.

But feel free to go fondle your petite "sub-half-incher". I'm sure it at least makes you happy and that is all that matters, right?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #35
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
You won't, not for a battery change in store.

Lets be realistic. Batteries don't just die overnight. You can see it coming because the charge stops lasting as long as it once did long before it dies out completely. A battery that just flat out dies would be the same as a circuit board that fries itself at random: an unusual non-preventable catastrophic system failure.

Apple stores are in most major US cities and their suburbs now. Depending on where you are, you have a good chance of making your way to one if you need to.
Ummm, yes lithium batteries will do just that eventually. One day it works for a few hours still and the next it won't hold a charge.
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #36
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Already covered.
Only that the Toshiba was thicker and heavier, there was no proof offered that the user replaceable battery had any effect at all on weight and thickness. The battery and display are the main contributors to those values, so a non user replaceable battery is still a sign of cheaper construction practices.

But now that you mention it again, there is another serious advantage to a user replaceable battery. Two batteries have twice the run time of one, and all you have to do is reload.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #37
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
I was mistaken. You get a different device back.

{snip}

I bought a refurbished iPod four or five years ago...still works. And yes, the non-replaceable battery still holds a charge.
I know you are not claiming it holds anywhere near the charge it did when new. That is another thing about lithium ion batteries, unless you store them at adound 40-50% charged they will actually age faster and fail sooner.

And it's that steady decline in capacity that screams for the need to add a backup battery or two staggering the purchase then setup a rotation so they wear at an even rate. I prefer three. My laptops all have the extended 12hrs wedge batteries and combined with the standard batteries. When new batteries are bought I get from 12-16hrs with wifi, browsing and streaming on a 17" 4-5yr old HP nx-series laptop. And I am getting ready to by a few new sets next month and the original sets are now down to about 2-3hrs runtime. But the good news is I do not lose portability, why? Because there are backups in the bag, car, room or pack.

I have backup batteries for my MP3 players and any other portable devices. That's my my Creative Zen Jukebox Xtra is still going strong after about 8-yrs now. That and my updated the HDD to a spare 100GB drive from an old laptop. Who knows I might even up it to 250GB next time I am in the mood. I paid over $400 for the thing but fully expected a decade or more use of it. No reason it should not last that long.

Again I completely do not understand why anyone would find fault with the desire to maintain and have devices which last for decades not months or a couple years. Remember, it's not like we all have money trees in Daddy's wallet.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #38
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
all you have to do is reload
Or plug in.

But I get it and choice is good.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #39
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
Only that the Toshiba was thicker and heavier, there was no proof offered that the user replaceable battery had any effect at all on weight and thickness. The battery and display are the main contributors to those values, so a non user replaceable battery is still a sign of cheaper construction practices.

But now that you mention it again, there is another serious advantage to a user replaceable battery. Two batteries have twice the run time of one, and all you have to do is reload.
Dave is wise, Dave is smart, Dave is stealthy, Dave gets it!! Listen to Dave!! hahahaha...nice call Dave could not agree more.

And oh yeah, Dave has access to the best beir on the planet. I envy Dave!!

Last edited by grumpy3b; 04-26-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #40
RockdaMan
Banned

Then why is the trend to move away from them?

Hmmm?

(I'm kidding)
Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #41
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
You ask that question in THIS economy?

Of course, I am kidding too, since there usually very little intelligence involved in the whims of fads and fashion.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #42
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

Hmmm?

(I'm kidding)
This trend to use non-replaceable batteries started because manufacturers discovered they can make more money -- they charge more for batteries AND they avoid people buying replacement batteries from third party sources.

Looking at phones you can easily see that others can fit user replaceable batteries with the same or higher capacities into the same form factor as the iphone, with no increase in weight.

So all this is for the benefits of shareholders, not users.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #43
grumpy3b
Banned

Since it has been a couple decades since I bought my last cell phone. Are the now charging battery disposal fees when you buy the device? You know like the whole BS fee for modern monitors due to Hg used in the CCFL tubes. None use lead solder anymore so it's all in the tubes. I bought an extra LCD last week and was smacked at the register for that mandatory fee. Like it will ever serve the reason used to justify the fee.

But, yerp, it's all about the quarterlies not the customer feeling they got something of real value for their money.