Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Beetle B.
Beetle B. began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre on Linux, ADE on Windows/WINE - how do I manage?

I run Linux only. I do, however, have Win XP Pro on VirtualBox. For reasons I don't want to get into, let's say I don't have access to the USB using VirtualBox.

Now my ADE on Windows (under VirtualBox) has authorized my device.

What I'd like is to download eBooks from my library in Win XP Pro using ADE. Then I want to copy the files to a shared folder, and then access them using Calibre in Linux. I know Calibre won't be able to read the files, but I want to use Calibre to transfer them to my Aluratek rather than ADE.

How do I do this? What files should I have to share between Win XP Pro and Linux. Everything I've tried has failed. The only success I've had is if I transfer them to the Aluratek using ADE, which messes up how I've organized stuff using Calibre.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Beetle B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Virtualbox allows you to setup shared folders with the host OS. Just share one of your Linux filesystem folders, move your ADE downloaded book to that shared folder, and import it into Calibre from that shared folder.

Actually, I find it easier to just have Calibre installed on my Virtualbox XP (as well as the standard Linux install). Then I set up the two instances of Calibre to share the same library.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-28-2010 at 02:32 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Beetle B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Virtualbox allows you to setup shared folders with the host OS. Just share one of your Linux filesystem folders, move your ADE downloaded book to that shared folder, and import it into Calibre from that shared folder.
Which files do I copy? Just the ePub?

If I do that, then my Aluratek can't open the file. That's my problem. It only seems to open it if ADE copied it.

Let's put it this way: My Aluratek is authorized in ADE. Now if I go today and download an ePub from the library, will it encrypt it for use on my Aluratek, or just for my PC (are the keys different?). Or will it only encrypt with the Aluratek key when I transfer the files from the ADE to Aluratek?

My point is that if I just copy the ePub files to Calibre (or directly to the Aluratek), it won't open them.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ah, I see. I don't use ADE enough to know exactly how it encrypts files for different devices (and I always eliminate DRM from the equation anyway). You may very well have to transfer the ebook with ADE in order for the book to have the proper encryption keys to be read on your device. Someone else will have to answer that question.

I have been successful in getting ADE to run under Wine on Linux -- thus bypassing the need for Virtualbox entirely. Perhaps that's an option that you could look into (although it won't solve the problem of wanting to use Calibre to transfer books to your device).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Beetle B.

Quote:
I have been successful in getting ADE to run under Wine on Linux -- thus bypassing the need for Virtualbox entirely. Perhaps that's an option that you could look into (although it won't solve the problem of wanting to use Calibre to transfer books to your device).
Well, but how do I get WINE to use USB, which I need to transfer the files over? I was under the impression that WINE doesn't support USB.

I actually do have ADE working under WINE, but the above was the stumbling block.

Also, to be honest, I just don't like where ADE puts the book in the reader. Having Calibre do this would have been more consistent.
Advert