Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #76
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The film will make a lot more sense if you've read the book first.
I think that going into the movie without having read the book is actually a better bet as then the overly truncated parts of the movie will not be quite so glaring.

Overall, I liked the movie, but I do hope that there is eventually a director's cut that allows more time in the battle school and to a lesser extent the command school because at times the film seemed rushed enough that you lose some of the character development that explains why the others are so ready to follow Ender.

On the reading during trailers point from earlier, I use my Kindle until they lower the lights in the cinema, regardless of the light level you are being rude and distracting to others in the cinema otherwise. Luckily, my local cinema only puts down the lights for the actual trailers and not the other adverts.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #77
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Earlier in this thread, I declared that I wasn't going to go see the movie because I didn't want to support Card. In case anyone else is leaning in that direction, be advised that Card won't be receiving any additional money from the movie, no matter how well it does; he was paid upfront, and receives no percentage of the gross.

I'm still going to pass on it, but I thought I should clarify my last post, just in case anyone decided to avoid the movie based (wholly or partially) on my comments.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #78
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Read the book a year ago, waiting, and looking forward, to see the movie. In the meantime I bought all the books this last week
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #79
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I liked the cast and the special effects were decent, but the movie itself was only OK.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #80
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And was Ender really a foot taller than Bonzo?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Quick question for those who avoid movies due to fears/worries that it can't possibly do the original material justice: would it actually be possible for the movie to somehow retroactively ruin the joy you experienced when you first read it? Don't get me wrong; I understand wanting the big screen to "get it right," I just don't understand overly worrying about whether or not it actually does. You will always have the original experience, after all. Is it not possible to separate the experiences?

I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight; It's just a phenomenon that seems to happen when particularly nostalgic books get made into movies ... and it's always puzzled me. Can a newer bad movie experience somehow eclipse an older great book experience?
The movie can have an effect on a reread. I reread "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" shortly after watching "Total Recall". I heard all the dialogue and thoughts of the main character with Schwarzenegger accent. It was very disturbing. It has happened with some other books as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #82
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The movie can have an effect on a reread. I reread "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" shortly after watching "Total Recall". I heard all the dialogue and thoughts of the main character with Schwarzenegger accent. It was very disturbing. It has happened with some other books as well.
Wow, I found BOTH Total Recall movies so TOTALLY unlike the short story that there has never been any cross over in my mind at all.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #83
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Wow, I found BOTH Total Recall movies so TOTALLY unlike the short story that there has never been any cross over in my mind at all.
I have to agree.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #84
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
...the special effects were decent, but the movie itself was only OK.
A comment which would perfectly fit the vast majority of big Hollywood releases over the last few decades.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #85
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Earlier in this thread, I declared that I wasn't going to go see the movie because I didn't want to support Card. In case anyone else is leaning in that direction, be advised that Card won't be receiving any additional money from the movie, no matter how well it does; he was paid upfront, and receives no percentage of the gross.

I'm still going to pass on it, but I thought I should clarify my last post, just in case anyone decided to avoid the movie based (wholly or partially) on my comments.
He may have gotten his money up front as an author, but I see he has a producer's credit also.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #86
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have to agree.
Apache
True, but part of the reason I reread the story was that I had just seen the movie. It was on my mind.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #87
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
And was Ender really a foot taller than Bonzo?
Our neighbor took his 11-year old daughter to see it this past weekend (she read the book this Summer). They both loved it, and mentioned that the actor who played Bonzo was great, but looked totally wrong.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #88
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Scenes From a Multiverse Comic

The entry for November 04, 2013 has a bearing on this topic.

I don't think the artist is impressed.-)

rjb
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #89
Micah Dawson
Micah Dawson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Nook(Windows 8 App) and Kindle(Windows 8 App)
I enjoyed the movie I haven't read the books.
Micah Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You really should read the book - it's an SF classic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote