Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #91
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Captain Incognito--

The Sony Readers have lithium ion batteries. These batteries do not have the "memory effect" of the old NiCad batteries, so you should be able to charge your battery any time with out worry. I know there is a lot of controversy about battery life, but from what I've read, it is in fact better *not* to let your lithium batteries drain completely before recharging.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #92
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
I'm with Peto. Mine went out the window a few minutes ago with a nice, resounding smack as it hit the sidewalk.
A book wouldn't have made such a loud noise in a similar context, so you can throw books out your window without waking up neighbours.

What's with the car avatar, aren't you ashamed? That's like putting up a picture of a smoke stack, or a McDonald's burger, or a Wal-Mart... all icons of consumerism, pollution, materialism, and obesity.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #93
stacis16
stacis16 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Well, for all the reasons people have mentioned in this thread. Convenience, ease, and portability come to mind. In addition to that, how about because that way you don't have to find someone else's crumbs and chocolate smears embedded in your books?
OH, I completely forgot about that since I haven't gotten a library book for so long. And, of course, other less identifiable things, as well as, for us non-smokers, a certain, not so pleasant smell sometimes.
stacis16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #94
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
balok,

Well, now you've gone and done it. So I've got no choice (well, I do, but that's for my other thread on free will) but to respond to this:

>What's with the car avatar, aren't you ashamed? That's like putting up a picture of a smoke stack, or a McDonald's burger, or a Wal-Mart... all icons of consumerism, pollution, materialism, and obesity.

Ashamed of what, exactly? Where in any of my posts have I said anything about consumerism, pollution, materialism, or obesity? None of these topics are really that relevant to this board, and I don't see where those associations came from, really.

Consumerism? Well, heck yeah. I love stuff, and I have a lot of it, so sue me.
Pollution? I suppose. But I can't ride a bike 34 miles to and from my office. And I also own a motorcycle that I ride when I can. FYI, my car gets 30mpg...which outdoes pretty much all non-hybrid SUV's, and a fair number of non-hybrid sedans.
Materialism? Again, yep. And also again, so?
Obesity? This, I have no answer for. I don't even know where to start.

I have my car as my avatar for a couple of reasons. One is that I love my car. I worked exceptionally hard through college and grad school, had to take out (and pay back) massive student loans, and drove innumerable pieces of crap along the way. When I was finally able to reap the benefits of my education, you bet your bippy I bought exactly what I had wanted for years and years. Another reason is that my car personifies me. I'm a lot like my car, so I chose it to represent me. It's small, sassy, a little out of the norm, and likes to have fun. Where's the harm in that?

Jeez, balok...it was all well and good until you decided to personally attack me. Now its no fun at all!
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #95
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm a lot like my car, so I chose it to represent me. It's small, sassy, a little out of the norm, and likes to have fun. Where's the harm in that?
Is it a rag top? Easy to take the top off?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #96
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Hey pilotbob,

Weren't you just encouraging me in another thread to snap a few .jpegs of me in the bathtub with my Sony? Now you want to know about the ease with which my top goes down? Thank goodness you live four hours away, or you'd be a terrible influence on me!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #97
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
All right now, kids, play nicely, or we'll have to drain the wading pool ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #98
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Weren't you just encouraging me in another thread to snap a few .jpegs of me in the bathtub with my Sony? Now you want to know about the speed with which my top goes down? Thank goodness you live four hours away, or you'd be a terrible influence on me!
He he. Zelda had a bathtub avatar, so I figured you would want to follow suit. Yes, top retraction speed is always important to know about hot little sassy ragtops.

Four hours, in that car? Surely you could make it in 3!

BOb
Old 09-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #99
PsyDocJoanne

Bob,

>Four hours, in that car? Surely you could make it in 3!

At the risk of treading dangerous ground, I'll disclose to you that I'll test out that hypothesis this weekend. I'm coming up to Tampa to visit family...so I'll post my times for you
Old 09-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #100
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
At the risk of treading dangerous ground, I'll disclose to you that I'll test out that hypothesis this weekend. I'm coming up to Tampa to visit family...so I'll post my times for you
We should meet. I can check out your top, er car.

<serious mode>
Please drive safely. I don't want that on my conscience.
</serious mode>

BOb
Old 09-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #101
PsyDocJoanne

I think a lunch meet up would be nice. I'll give you the full BMW Z4 experience, with the top down, if you like...
...and you can also meet my husband
Old 09-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #102
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIncognito View Post
For the first time since I learned to read I'm not even slightly tempted by second hand book stores. And I used to snuffle about in them for hours like pigs for truffles.

My only irritation is I really really want to preserve the battery so I have to wait until the battery has completely died before I upload more books so I tend to have accumulated a heap of Project Gutenberg texts ready to put on... anticipation!!
The Reader's battery doesn't need depleting. In fact it is better if you don't. There is a thread about it somewhere.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #103
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Hi balok!

CUT

But, just the other night, I did some searching around, and found the following in the public domain (caveat: interesting for me may not equal interesting to you, but...):

Studies in Forensic Psychiatry (Bernard Glueck)
Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (Charles Mackay)
Harvard Psychological Studies, Vol 1 (Various)
An Inquiry Concerning Human Understanding (David Hume)
A Newly Discovered System of Electrical Medication (Daniel Clark)

Your turn, balok

No need to search any further, MY GOOD MAN, for -- lo and behold! - Patricia has made available the Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (Charles Mackay) !!!

Maybe I'll do the this one: Studies in Forensic Psychiatry (Bernard Glueck)

Don

P.S.: I'll expect a book report tomorrow morning!

CORRECTION: "MY GOOD WOMAN"
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #104
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
No, our county's library system has lots of library buildings but very few books - fairly rural. The next county over is very affluent and has a much better system.

My problem w/ ILL is that I can't get to the library in time to pick up the books when they come in because I live so far away from a branch. I'm right in the corner of 3 counties and no one builds a library at the edge of the county.

And, I totally miss the experience of being able to browse shelf after shelf of books.
mgrunk, I'm assuming you live in one of the few Georgia counties not covered by PINES. I think it's crazy that Atlanta doesn't participate in the program. PINES was a lifesaver when I was reading the Vorkosigan saga because my library only had a couple of the books.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #105
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
balok,
Jeez, balok...it was all well and good until you decided to personally attack me. Now its no fun at all!
Hey, take it easy, it's not an attack, I'm just messing around. And I don't really care about posts being off topic. I just seized the chance to rant against cars. You see, I really hate cars, and I'm ashamed to admit I own one, though I do all I can to avoid using it. The last thing I would do is use it as an avatar. And I'm saddened to see that you (and almost all Americans, so don't take this personally) find nothing wrong with consumerism and materialism, and that you believe that living 34 miles away from your work place justifies the pollution you produce.

Last edited by balok; 09-25-2008 at 07:49 PM.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote