Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Vespasian
Vespasian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Screensaver Cover page ebook adaption (using Sigil?)

Hi everyone,

since this christmas I'm the proud owner of a PRS-T1 and generally very happy with it.
Just one "problem" (or better call it an inconvenience ;-) ) appeared (actual question is in the last paragraph):
When I send my reader to sleep mode it displays the first page of the book. For my bought books this is correctly the cover page but as I also downloaded quite some cassics from gutenberg.org. I saw that they usually start right away with the (license)text which is than displayed in sleep mode.

Setting a cover image in calibre won't fix it so I think I'll have to fix the ebook manually. I found that Sigil might be able to help me but I don't know what exactly to do and therefore ask the epub pros here for help.

Question (bold for those short of time -> What steps do I need to perform to set the book cover as the first page within an ebook such that a prs-t1 (possibly other readers) will display it when in sleep mode.

Thanks for all answers

Last edited by Vespasian; 01-27-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: spelling is hard
Vespasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
When you set the cover in the metadata in Calibre, it does not put it in the actual file. To do this, once you have set the cover in the metadata, then "Convert" the epub: from epub to epub. This puts the cover into the file itself and it should show up in the thumbnails, and thus the sleep mode.

BTW, you can change the sleep mode picture to a separate jpeg, if you want. I have a picture of my husband and I.

I figured that way if the T1 is lost and found, I could prove it was mine.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
When you set the cover in the metadata in Calibre, it does not put it in the actual file. To do this, once you have set the cover in the metadata, then "Convert" the epub: from epub to epub. This puts the cover into the file itself and it should show up in the thumbnails, and thus the sleep mode.
Just FYI, you don't need the extra conversion for cover thumbnails in book list. In Calibre's PRS-T1 device interface plugin, check the setting "Upload separate cover thumbnails for books" (I think it's checked by default). But for the screensavers, yes you need to embed the cover inside the book for it to work.

The lost & found information in the screensaver jpg is a good idea, by the way.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soseono View Post
Just FYI, you don't need the extra conversion for cover thumbnails in book list. In Calibre's PRS-T1 device interface plugin, check the setting "Upload separate cover thumbnails for books" (I think it's checked by default). But for the screensavers, yes you need to embed the cover inside the book for it to work.

The lost & found information in the screensaver jpg is a good idea, by the way.

I'm sure you're right. I NEVER sync my T1, but drag and drop all my books. Since I just drag the epub file not the metadata, I found this way to get the cover into the file.

I found if I don't convert epub to epub the cover image is at the end of the file, and, jeez, I like to see the cover when I open a book.

Thanks for the info.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Vespasian
Vespasian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks to both of you for your help.

The epub to epub conversion works like a charm although the idea of putting a personal picture in sleep mode isn't that bad either (didn't thought about it befor e )
Vespasian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, epub, prs-t1, screensaver, sigil