Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
gstephen70
gstephen70 doesn't littergstephen70 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Using my daughter's Asus Transformer as an eReader...not bad at all

It's pretty cool. The length of the screen allows the whole page to show on one page so that's a big plus. No real font size options, but you can zoom. You can also change to black on white or white on black. Which she thinks is super cool. Anything to get her to read more.

Honestly, when I bought the Transformer, I didn't give it a second thought as an eReader, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Just goes to show, Asus Transformer, and the soon to be released Asus Prime, are actually better than the iPad2. I love it as a tablet, she loves it for the media it plays without having to convert every d**n thing into either mp4 or some other obscure format. And oh yeah, Flash baby. Flash baby. Flash baby. I can't get tired of saying that to all my Apple diehard friends. Well, nowadays, not so much friends as frenemies. ASUS TRANSFORMER PRIME will rule. ASUS TRANSFORMER rules. 32GB. Drag and drop anything.It is amazing. And ladies and gents, it plays ePub and PDF, and a slew of other formats.

ASUS 1
iPad 2 0

Flame suit on. HeHe.
gstephen70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It all depends on the application you're using for reading. Most apps will support font-size changes. I don't know what apps are pre-installed on the Transformer, but there are plenty of reader apps out there, that will offer the ability of day/night settings, font changing, font size changing, etc.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
And oh yeah, Flash baby. Flash baby. Flash baby. I can't get tired of saying that to all my Apple diehard
Even adobe agrees that flash on mobile device is a bad idea, they ditched it. And while not an apple fan, i'm definitivly glad for that ! Die flash ! die !

I would advise installing mantano, best android e-reading app
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
sunnypatch
always need tech help!
sunnypatch began at the beginning.

Device: asus transformer tablet
Unhappy help me please!!!!

i have a asus transfomer tablet,,, can someone help me an tell me how to download books on it,,,, hopefully without usin my credit card, can i use kobo gift cards, or chapters gift cards??? someone help me please!!!!!!!

Last edited by sunnypatch; 12-29-2011 at 09:21 AM.
sunnypatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnypatch View Post
i have a asus transfomer tablet,,, can someone help me an tell me how to download books on it,,,, hopefully without usin my credit card, can i use kobo gift cards, or chapters gift cards??? someone help me please!!!!!!!

Calm down, grasshopper.

Hopefully, someone will come along to give you some advice.

Be patient.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstephen70 View Post
Just goes to show, Asus Transformer, and the soon to be released Asus Prime, are actually better than the iPad2. I love it as a tablet, she loves it for the media it plays without having to convert every d**n thing into either mp4 or some other obscure format. And oh yeah, Flash baby.
Glad you saw the light. Enjoy "your" Transformer.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
wdi
wdi began at the beginning.

Device: asus transformer; kindle touch
Yes the Transformer makes for a good e-reader.

But I am confused by the OP's comment about font sizes. I am not having any trouble changing font sizes using Kindle and Aldiko apps (mine came with Kindle pre-installed, I grabbed Aldiko and Kobo off the app store). I did notice this problem with a book in Kobo, but I just assumed that it was just that book. I guess I will have to try another one now.

Getting books onto the Transformer can be as easy as registering your account within a given app. If you are OK with reading from the app that corresponds with where you are purchasing your books, then you are good to go.

Getting books between apps, or from Calibre into a particular app requires more effort. You have to disconnect the USB end of the charging cable from the wall wart, and then connect it to your PC. Then use Windows Explorer (assuming not a Mac) to find the folders each app is using, and drag and drop them from the Calibre folder.

On a side note, I got my Transformer as a Black Friday special while waiting for my pre-ordered Kindle Touch and Fire to arrive. I love the Touch, but between the two Android tabs, I prefer the Transformer so the Fire is going back.
wdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdi View Post
Getting books between apps, or from Calibre into a particular app requires more effort. You have to disconnect the USB end of the charging cable from the wall wart, and then connect it to your PC. Then use Windows Explorer (assuming not a Mac) to find the folders each app is using, and drag and drop them from the Calibre folder.
Not at all. Install the free AirDroid app from the market and sideload your books from your PC, without any cables involved.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
wdi

Good point afv011. I will have to give AirDroid a try. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdi View Post

On a side note, I got my Transformer as a Black Friday special while waiting for my pre-ordered Kindle Touch and Fire to arrive. I love the Touch, but between the two Android tabs, I prefer the Transformer so the Fire is going back.
Do you have the tablet on power always?? I only charge at night, if the battery is getting flat, that is.

Also, does the Transformer give a drive letter when connected to a pc? If so, you can use Calibre's "connect to folder" function. I use it to put my various formats on my BBMini, each format in its own folder.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
unlawfulsoup
unlawfulsoup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Flash is utterly terrible on mobile devices. Also you can watch whatever film format you want on the iPad if you use an app like AVPlayer.

Last edited by unlawfulsoup; 01-03-2012 at 02:27 PM.
unlawfulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
wdi

Quote:
Do you have the tablet on power always?? I only charge at night, if the battery is getting flat, that is.
No, I only charge it when it needs it.

Quote:
Also, does the Transformer give a drive letter when connected to a pc? If so, you can use Calibre's "connect to folder" function. I use it to put my various formats on my BBMini, each format in its own folder.
Thanks for the suggestion. That works on the Transformer and is easier than using explorer.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
wdi

I should add though that the Device button does not appear on the toolbar when connected to the Transformer like it does when connected to the Kindle Touch.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
iGregory
Gunslinger, say thank-ya
iGregory began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Asus Transformer, Coby Kryos
Kobo App on Transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnypatch View Post
I just installed the Kobo app on my Asus Transformer. The cool part is that as soon as I put my account information in, it synced all my purchased books to it just like my Kobo. As for getting books onto it... You can use Chapters/Indigo gift cards -- they used to make you enter a credit card first, then apply the gift card, so your credit card would be bill $0.00... very dumb. Now you can just go to the gift card.

One issue I'm having, though, is that I'm running Ubuntu. On my Kobo (the standalone ereader) I can use Calibre to sync up all my rss/magazine feeds that I get. But I can't seem to get that to work on my Transformer running the Kobo app. I can dump the epub to the transformer and then import it using the Kobo app, but it would be nice if I could do it in one step.
iGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Its funny/sad that when the Asus Transformer came out, it was so bug ridden that it wasnt worth buying, after some time some of the bugs were fixed, now the Transformer is a pretty good tablet.

The Asus Transformer Prime just came out and it also is bug ridden and not worth buying, it has major issues with wi-fi and GPS.

They just announced not long after the Prime came out the new Transformer is coming out in the 2nd quarter.
Jyster is offline   Reply With Quote