Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #46
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Nope, it's more space opera or really soft sci. fi. with elements of fantasy.

See that is interesting, I would have never thought of Star Wars as anything but Sci-fi and used Space Opera as a sub category. I THINK that in general population the term "Sci Fi" refers to "stories told in some far future time setting."
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #47
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
See that is interesting, I would have never thought of Star Wars as anything but Sci-fi and used Space Opera as a sub category. I THINK that in general population the term "Sci Fi" refers to "stories told in some far future time setting."
It is an old argument. Story wise the original Star Wars seems to me to be fantasy. Here is one article about this:

http://thetorchonline.com/latest/wha...on-or-fantasy/

Last edited by tompe; 06-23-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Trek -> Wars
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #48
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Yes crich is right there is a lot of mixing of generes but it still does not change the definition of that genre. A western needs a cowpoke somewhere around, a romance needs some sort of well romance, thus a western romance is love among the cowpokes. I have seen some very twisted combinations, I saw a Sci-fi western romance one time, love among the cowpokes in the 22nd century. I saw a Sci-fi western humor romance, love among the 22nd century cowpokes with a bmumbling idiot thrown in for comic relief. Getting really twisted I saw a Fantasy humor thriller murder political book, it was a bumbling idiot learning to use magic in a school for magicians where a politicians son is murdered by terrorists.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe
It is an old argument. Story wise the original Star Wars seems to me to be fantasy. Here is one article about this:
Old argument indeed. And apparently immaterial to a viewer's/reader's enjoyment (or lack thereof) of the tale. But it's great fodder for the nitpicking mill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope
I would have never thought of Star Wars as anything but Sci-fi and used Space Opera as a sub category. I THINK that in general population the term "Sci Fi" refers to "stories told in some far future time setting."
*Ahem* "A Long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-23-2011 at 09:41 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #50
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
It's knights and wizards in space. Frankly, that's fine by me. I liked the first three movies.

Here's a question for ya: what defines "pulp" ?

I have a friend who is big into old pulp novels, and he flipped out when I called Tom Clancy pulp. He took it as an insult to pulp, not Clancy.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #51
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Angry AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Genres... one of my most evil nemeses.

Do you know how hard it is for someone who is both a bit anal and OCD to try and work with genes? It is frustratingly impossible!

Let's see... 1633 by Eric Flint is obviously SciFi.
But there certainly are elements of Alternative History in it.
However, one could argue that Fantasy comes into play as well.
Then again, it could be considered to be in a sub-genre of Speculative Fiction.
Of course, there is also the possibility of it being veiwed as historical fiction.

Okay, then...

1633 by Eric Flint
Genre
  • Speculative Fiction
  • Historical Fiction
  • Alternative History
  • Fantasy
  • SciFi

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Regards,
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #52
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
You're way overthinking this. It's speculative fiction no matter what. In particular, since Flint (in 1632) provided a sci-fi fig leaf, it's sci-fi. Flint is also generally a sci-fi author, so that's consistent. It is also, secondarily, alt-hist, simply because the Ring of Fire caused a branched timeline (also noted in 1632, IIRC). So it's an Everett 'Many Worlds'[1] quantum physics example, also sci-fi-ish.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

[1] As opposed to a more common Bohr (or Copenhagen) interpretation of quantum physics.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #53
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Genres are what YOU want them to be.

On my Sony reader, I started with SciFi and Classics as genres. But am dropping SciFi as my SciFi collections has GROWN. But I have added Non-Fiction, Aviation, and Fiction. I use these categories for smaller groupings of books, where I might not group by author or series (may not have a series). Fiction is used for one off books that I want to be able to find.

In pBook stores, genre allows you to look for similar books and discover new authors. If they were all mixed together, it would be much harder to find new scifi/fantasy authors to try, mixed amoung the general fiction, classics/liturature, etc.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote