Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #16
Lazycat
Enthusiast
Lazycat began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd Edition
Thanks for making the template. It's definitely useful! I'll try it later.

The idea of making a pool of "pdf stationery" is great. It will surely add a lot of fun to the device!
Lazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #17
Lazycat
Enthusiast

Just tried the template. It's excellent!!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #18
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
Assuming that was what you meant, here's an implementation. Just unzip this somewhere and you'll see any entry in your contentlister to create a new notepad. Click on that and it will create one. You can then change the title and description in the usual way. Note that this does not automatically open the pdf. When I tried making it do that I ended up with the pdf permanently on the screen even after exiting (i.e. I was navigating the contentlister but seeing the pdf). There's something that I don' t grok about starting ipdf from a shell script.

Anyway, it mostly works. You could create your own templates and replace notepad.pdf with your template. If you want to keep things really simple just name your new template notepad.pdf. Otherwise edit run.sh to change the name (and title) as you wish.
Fantastic, thanks for that! That's exactly what I meant.

Of course it's no good trying it the way notes do it, as I can't have different images for page 1, page 2 etc, so your script should help a lot.

As soon as I get my iLiad back (it's at iRex being re-wifiificaterated) I'll give this a go.

Thanks again.

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 AM   #19
Lazycat
Enthusiast

I like carandol's idea of "pdf stationery", and try to use the Acrobat to add some graphics to the notepad.

The outcome is not bad. You may see the results in the attachments. One is decorated with my lazy cat, and the other is a religious one, decorated with the image of Holy Mary.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf notepad_catlover.pdf (129.1 KB, 317 views)
File Type: pdf notepad_Mary.pdf (134.7 KB, 294 views)
Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #20
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Interesting. This works rather nicely. I wasn't sure if the image would over-power the page, but you've got it right and it is quite subtle. I'd never have thought of using the iliad for writing personal letters, but I could really see this working. And you get to keep a copy of what you wrote (could be handy if you dump your girlfriend for someone else---you could just use the erase the old name and write in the new one, a great time saver )

Nice work Carandol and Lazycat
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #21
Lazycat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
..And you get to keep a copy of what you wrote (could be handy if you dump your girlfriend for someone else---you could just use the erase the old name and write in the new one, a great time saver )
Haha...You're absolutely right!

In the beginning, the page turns very slowly on the device with the graphics added. So I use the "optimize document" function of Acrobat, and it works well after the process!

I just found that java scripts could be added to a pdf using the Acrobat. I know nothing about programming, but if someone knows how to use the feature, I think there would be more fun for using pdf on iLiad.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #22
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I've made myself some headed notepaper, with my address at top right and a faint grey celtic triskele behind the page. I did it in OpenOffice.org, since I don't have Acrobat, and it looks pretty good. I wrote a letter, complete with little drawings in among the text, and emailed it to a friend, who was very impressed.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, here's a small PDF pad of decorative writing paper with a book motif. I created it in OpenOffice.org, using open source clip-art, so it's all free and legal. I've not done anything fancy with links, nor with putting lines on the paper. If anyone wants the .odf file to play with, let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf book-notepad.pdf (67.4 KB, 373 views)
Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #24
carandol
Evangelist

You know, if some bright spark were to come up with email software for the iLiad, which integrated personalised stationary and the scribble facility, we could actually have a gadget that could be used to send and receive handwritten email via wifi. Now *that* would be an innovation...

Think I'll mosey over to the iRex forum and suggest it...
Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #25
Lazycat
Enthusiast

The notepad looks nice! If iLiad can be used to send emails, I'm sure I will surprised my friends with many handwritten emails!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #26
aabeg100
Enthusiast
aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex Iliad
Hi,
I was really impressed by the different designes of notpads that are starting to get collected in this thread and it got me thinking ..........

I used to do a lot of scratch paper work in my research and my approach was to take a thick size notepad and do all my work on it. Whenever I started working on a new idea or a new topic or solve a new problem I would mark the top of the page with the description ane data and start the page count from 1 and at the end when the work gets finished I would sign it with a small comment so that if I ever needed to come back to it I would know where I started and where I finished and why....

Anyways, I made a couple of notepads in the same vain but added different backgrounds to them if you like them let me know and I can download a couple others as well......

Also if you have any other idea for a notepad let me know maybe I can design it for you.....

Asim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf yingyang_notepad.pdf (158.1 KB, 276 views)
File Type: pdf Adidas_notepad.pdf (175.6 KB, 281 views)
File Type: pdf Batman_notepad.pdf (252.0 KB, 277 views)
aabeg100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #27
carandol
Evangelist

Nice designs, though I don't think I'd use that format of notepad personally. I'm finding Lazycat's indexed notepads really useful for university. I've got one for each of my subjects and can note on the index page the name of the lecture, and I can jump to the lecture I'm looking for.

But the more designs the merrier, I say!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #28
Lazycat
Enthusiast

wow, the layout and fonts are cool!!
Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #29
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
email software for the iLiad, which integrated personalised stationary and the scribble facility,
It's easy to write a script on your Mac that watches a folder for uploaded notes to email them to some address you entered into the filetag. Do you mean something like this?
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #30
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r View Post
It's easy to write a script on your Mac that watches a folder for uploaded notes to email them to some address you entered into the filetag. Do you mean something like this?
Well, I don't have a Mac, though I'm sure it's possible in Linux too. But what I actually meant was, since the iLiad has built-in wifi, with the right software it ought to be possible to send notes directly from the machine itself. I'm just not a programmer, so I wouldn't know where to start.