Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Replacement Kindle

Like a few others I've had my Kindle replaced due to fading letters on the Kindle, I got the new Kindle today and the letters look better.

I have four questions for everyone.

Does Amazon deactivate my account when it's returned to them, or do I have to.

And I put a password on the Kindle, how do I delete it?

I had a few personal documents that I converted that I'd like to delete with no chance of them being recovered, how do I do that?

And last, in the e-mail they sent me after I talked to the rep, said that they would be sending the Kindle on, no booklet, no cord, just the Kindle. But when I opened the box there was a booklet and a cord, should I return them, or keep them.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Like a few others I've had my Kindle replaced due to fading letters on the Kindle, I got the new Kindle today and the letters look better.

I have four questions for everyone.

Does Amazon deactivate my account when it's returned to them, or do I have to.

And I put a password on the Kindle, how do I delete it?

I had a few personal documents that I converted that I'd like to delete with no chance of them being recovered, how do I do that?

And last, in the e-mail they sent me after I talked to the rep, said that they would be sending the Kindle on, no booklet, no cord, just the Kindle. But when I opened the box there was a booklet and a cord, should I return them, or keep them.
Your Amazon account is not deactivated. I think you are referring to your Kindle being "deregistered." Again, the answer is no. You will need to de-register your Kindle by going to your account and and do so under "manage my kindle."

I believe there is information on Amazon's site that outlines the steps to take when returning your Kindle. In a nutshell, make sure you have all of your personal documents backed up. Your Amazon books, of course, will be archived (this does not include subscriptions to periodicals).

If all has been backed up, then all you need to do is a hard (factory) reset which will restore it to the "out of the box" state. Obviously, it will no longer be password protected.

In response to your last question, cords and booklets are not expected to be returned with the defective Kindle, so the decision is yours.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-22-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
No chance of being recovered? Fat 32 deletions will leave stuff behind unless you write over the space. I think you'll be fine just copying junk files to the device until it is full if you are paranoid.However, I doubt folks at amazon would ever look or care to. They are probably just going to nuke it and send it out again.

If you are on mac/linux you can use dd to create a file of junk on the kindle until it is full, that oughtta do it. In windows... I don't know, just keep replicating some file there. I don't know anything about nand flash, but I assume that after 1 write over it, the data is gone forever.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your Amazon account is not deactivated. I think you are referring to your Kindle being "deregistered." Again, the answer is no. You will need to de-register your Kindle by going to your account and and do so under "manage my kindle."
Ah, good to know, thanks.

Quote:
They are probably just going to nuke it and send it out again.
Nuke it?

Quote:
If you are on mac/linux you can use dd to create a file of junk on the kindle until it is full, that oughtta do it. In windows... I don't know, just keep replicating some file there. I don't know anything about nand flash, but I assume that after 1 write over it, the data is gone forever.
Yes, I have a Mac, but what is 'DD'?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/your/kindle/junkfile.whatever bs=1k count=4000000

something like that

the path is usually like /mnt/media/kindle or so (i don't use *nix)

You could also DD the partition directly, but I suggest you do not do that =)
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
-walsh-
Enthusiast
-walsh- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ahhh can't put up with the sticky slider no more, it's got worse and this is my second one! Ah well thrid time lucky maybe?
-walsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Bittybye
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/your/kindle/junkfile.whatever bs=1k count=4000000

something like that

the path is usually like /mnt/media/kindle or so (i don't use *nix)

You could also DD the partition directly, but I suggest you do not do that =)

I am a technological idiot, I don't really understand anything you said

Sorry.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
@OP:

Even I got a replacement cord. I explicitly asked Amazon support this question and these were their exact words:
Quote:
I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. You were not charged for the extra cable you've received.

You may keep the extra cable with our compliments. Perhaps you can donate it to a school, library, or some other facility in your area.

I hope the above information is clear and helpful! We hope to see you again soon.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
Bittybye
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
@OP:

Even I got a replacement cord. I explicitly asked Amazon support this question and these were their exact words:
Thanks, I had thought about calling. It's actually nice to have; I have a tendency to loose things like that.