Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Opus and Sony PRS-350 comparison

I thought that the folks here at the Bookeen forum would be interested in seeing some pictures comparing the 5" Opus to the Sony PRS-350. Attached are a few of the pictures I took - there are more on my blog, along with my thoughts on the two readers and my needs.

Link to blog: Sony Reader PRS-350 and Bookeen Cybook Opus - a comparison
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - main screen.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	59687   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - thumbnail.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	59688   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - medium ArnoPro.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	59689  
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thank you very much.
Maybe one should see it in real, but judging from the pictures the pearl display doesn't impress me much, at least not in comparison with a 200dpi screen.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Thank you very much.
Maybe one should see it in real, but judging from the pictures the pearl display doesn't impress me much, at least not in comparison with a 200dpi screen.
Take a good look at the third photo. The difference is very noticeable and very much in favor of the 350. The contract is much nicer and the black is much blacker.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Looking at the photo, I'm afraid it's TOO MUCH dark. I've got an Opus, and I can imagine the difference between photo and real screen, and I feel the PRS-350 as bold text, something I don't like a lot. I have to see it at a store to catch the real feeling.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Take a good look at the third photo. The difference is very noticeable and very much in favor of the 350. The contract is much nicer and the black is much blacker.
I've taken a good look at the third photo and I wasn't impressed. Perhaps the black is much blacker but the background is much darker, too, so the contrast is the same or even in favour of the Opus. But I don't want to argue with you as long as I have only seen pictures, maybe I agree with you after seeing a pearl screen in a shop.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
The 350 background is lighter and the black text is absolutely much sharper and has more contrast than the Opus.

If I wasn't doing 90% of my reading one-handed nursing a baby in a dark room with a clip light, the 350 would be a better choice on screen and price, but I'm a special case.

But if you've already got an Opus and are happy with the text and screen, I don't know that the Sony touchscreen is compelling enough to switch.

Last edited by simplyparticular; 10-12-2010 at 10:09 AM.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I was comparing these 2 devices side-by-side with a friend today. The 350 definitely has a crisper, clearer screen, plus the touch screen is a bonus.

But it's not better enough to justify a switch, IMO.

Also the Sony 350 is just a touch heavier.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I could compare both of them at the shop at last and my guess was right. Too bold text for me, so I won't try it By the way, thank you for your link about the light, I bought a similar one (Kandle light for Kindle) and it lights my Opus in a nice way.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Nina182B
Connoisseur
Nina182B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cybook Opus, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post

But if you've already got an Opus and are happy with the text and screen, I don't know that the Sony touchscreen is compelling enough to switch.
I bought the Sony 5" touchscreen last week. I imported the Bitstream Vera Sans font I've been using on the Opus into the Sony but no matter how much I played with it, since there's only 5 font sizes in the Sony, I just didn't like it. The font itself was clearer on the Sony but felt like I was loosing too many words on the screen and it was always either too small for me or too big.

Another con for me on the Sony is collections - I couldn't do folders within folders like how I could with the Opus.

I did love the Sony's touch screen and dictionary (dictionary being the main reason why I bought it), but I ended up returning the Sony after 2 days. I'm sticking with my Opus until people start posting reviews of the Orizon. If the touchscreen is as good as the Sony's, I'm sold!
Nina182B is offline   Reply With Quote