Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Why Amazon won't launch its own tablet, but will use Apple's

From Ars Technica

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...m_campaign=rss
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Ars really needs to get a clue on ereaders.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Yes, yes, e-ink is dead now that the coming of Apple's I-tablet is assured!

Oh, right. The iSlate that STILL doesn't exist yet?

Ugh, I hate articles like this one.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Ars really needs to get a clue on ereaders.
Agreed. And they conclude by saying:
Quote:
E-Ink is no longer the novelty it once was...
Now, how many people do we know who's ever used a reader, let alone seen one? Up close? 1% of the reading population?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Oh, a lot of us Arsians took the author to task. Of course he could be right...
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Really the question doesn't need an entire article - it can be answered in two sentences:

Amazon won't launch its own tablet because abandoning the Kindle in favour of a product with one-fifth the usability and five times the price would completely cede the market to Sony (or possibly B&N, but more likely Sony).

If Apple ever releases a tablet, and if the iFap finds a big enough market, Amazon will release a 'Kindle for iFap' application, just as they have released 'Kindle for PC' and 'Kindle for iPhone' apps (and are, I'm sure, either deciding whether there exists enough of a market for a 'Kindle for Android' app to make it worth developing one or actively in development on one) - if the potential market size, however small, is larger than the projected development cost, it makes sense to tap it.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
This is not about "one device to rule them all." Everybody has different requirements for a reading device, much less a mobile computing device. As an ebook consumer, I don't want to be tied to any particular hardware.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
What is the facinitation particularly on sites like ars et al with thinking that everyone wants an all in one gadget. Give me a break. I have 4 main gadgets that do each job well. 1. palm Treo smartphone as my second brain. 2. iPod for audio in the car and it's other features are a bonus. 3. Sony Prs-505 as a reader. 4. Ds for playing games. Each device does a job and does it well. I'd preferr this to 1 device that does each poorly.

Just my 2 cents

jim
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob101 View Post
What is the facinitation particularly on sites like ars et al with thinking that everyone wants an all in one gadget. Give me a break. I have 4 main gadgets that do each job well. 1. palm Treo smartphone as my second brain. 2. iPod for audio in the car and it's other features are a bonus. 3. Sony Prs-505 as a reader. 4. Ds for playing games. Each device does a job and does it well. I'd preferr this to 1 device that does each poorly.

Just my 2 cents

jim
I think your missing the point, your saying you are happier with 4 things that do their jobs well rather than one that does them all poorly! and I am with you on that but your asking the wrong thing..

The fascination is that companies are trying to make a device that does them ALL well.

You would happily swap your 4 devices for one if that one fulfilled all of your needs.

right now Im pretty much the same as you except I can lose the touch because i have an iPhone and it has everything I need for phone and Music. and games, No joy with the awful camera though.

So im down to 2 devices.

getting all 4 in one plus a reader equal to my PRS 300 would be a beautiful thing.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
You would happily swap your 4 devices for one if that one fulfilled all of your needs.
Would he? Typically, that means paying out a large amount of cash, and usually there are compromises you have to accept.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Would he? Typically, that means paying out a large amount of cash, and usually there are compromises you have to accept.

Yes he would.
The device if it suited his needs would be affordable to him if it wasnt it wouldnt meet one of his needs... being able to afford it.

What im saying is that its the IDEA of this imaginary device that replaces multiple devices that is really the holy grail.

And if it is A goode enough.. everything and meets other needs such as size and cost etc then of course people would want it. Only issue being it doesnt exist.

And in most devices after the initial novelty the cost is less than the individual devices.

iPhone = £400 no contract in UK
nintendo DS £120 + iPod Touch £200 + smart phone £200(approx) = 520
Old 01-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
The fascination is that companies are trying to make a device that does them ALL well.

Until they make a cell phone that doesn't sacrifice sound quality (the current crop is atrocious) for "apps", I'll continue to be dubious of all-in-wonders.

And no, the sound quality of an iPod/iPhone is NOT good.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Until they make a cell phone that doesn't sacrifice sound quality (the current crop is atrocious) for "apps", I'll continue to be dubious of all-in-wonders.

And no, the sound quality of an iPod/iPhone is NOT good.
Sorry i dont understand whats your point?

If your trying to say you dont thing there is an all in one device that is equal to or better than seperate devices then yes thats exactly what I have just been saying.

Thats kind of why a device that was equal to or better than is the Holy Grail and the idea so appealing.

Imagine a device with a camera as good as a Canon, Audio as good as an iriver, phone as good as [insert personal fave phone], games as good as a DS etc etc

And at a price less than the devices if purchased seperately.

Are we there yet? course not.

Are we closer than we were 2 or 3 years ago? yes
Old 01-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Convergence is the holy grail. It is true that converged devices continue to compromise. But the compromise is shrinking as we move into the future. I had a Kyocera 7135 quite a few years ago, a very early Palm-phone. I was very disappointed in the convergence. I have an iPhone today and I am much happier with what it offers.

I'll stay excited about the prospects for convergence in the future. I love my Sony e-reader but that doesn't mean I would reject a converged device that did that much and more.

BTW, sound quality asymptotes to "good enough," for example in most vehicles I defy you to tell the difference between an original CD and a well-ripped (192 KBPS VBR MP3 or equivalent) track played through the iPod or iPhone into an MP3 optimized head unit. I agree the iPod or iPhone is not the pinnacle of mobile audio quality. Cowan's devices probably are. But it is good enough for me, even listening through my Etymotics ER-4P's (a mid-to-high end canal-phone) or the custom stereo I installed myself in my last car (Alpine CDA-9887 HU properly tuned, JL Audio 10W3v3 sub, Focal KPS separates in the doors, JL Audio 150/2 and 300/1 amps).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
DawnFalcon
Banned

Convergence is one of the technophile holy grails, rather (which I am not). Also, as a designer, I'm quite confident saying that without tech-so-good-it's-magic, you're allways going to have to make compromises in device interfaces, be they so minor, to add features. And that can, and does, cascade.

It's also entirely inapplicable in many cases... for anything dealing with, say, kids. You want cheap, robust single-use devices which can be replaced for a low outlay, there. Heck, for giving to many adults that's a better idea.