Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #16
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I never did close this issue so let me do so in case someone searches....

Evidently, some apps don't like the file/folder structure that is created by "Pages" epub output. A workaround is to place two covers as page one and two in Pages, defining page one as a cover on export, will give a cover in most all apps. Some apps see the actual cover, the others will use the second cover - (cover is named "cover.jpg" so it can be found.)

But... To actually fix the problem so Bluefire and other apps actually use a single "true" cover page I have to explode the epub and put all files (except the META-INF) at the root level. (Pages epub output has css folder, images, folder, the opt, and chapters in an OPS folder.)

So again, I put everything at root level and made appropriate path change in container file and covers worked fine.
So, what you are basically are saying that Apple managed to create ANOTHER program that do things to ePUB like they want. The more spec-following readers cannot handle the output of Pages. That makes is a faulty app in my book.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
That's all well and good but I cannot change the material that I am being supplied.... Frankly, I'm tickled to death that the epub output from Pages works as well as it does. The cover issue in the only problem i'm come across. Admittedly, the files I get are pretty simple.

I love to be able to export some of my own reference files as an epub to carry on my iPad. I prefer viewing them in Stanza as opposed to Pages. So though it may not be perfect, it opens up the epub world to people who otherwise wouldn't even know it existed....
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It does not have to be a complete book. Just post ehough in an ePub so we can see what the problem might be.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It does not have to be a complete book. Just post ehough in an ePub so we can see what the problem might be.
I just received an email from BlueFire support (This was one of the apps I was having problems with) stating that they always use the first page as a cover. So it seems that there is at least one iOS app that wouldn't display a "defined cover" cover unless it was also simply an image on the first page.

Here's their reply:
Quote:
Bluefire Reader reads the first page of ePubs as the cover. This may
change in the future, as we are always looking for ways to improve the
App, but for now, for your custom cover to appear, it will need to be set
as the first page of your ePub.
If I understand that correctly a cover "defined as a cover" (and not page one) would not show in BlueFire no matter what.....

I'm simply going to continue what I'm doing. Both a defined cover and also a "cover.jpg" at the beginning of the file. In the current state of things this seems to be the "most compatible" with readers and best method to get a cover to appear from most all apps.

Thank you very much for your offer to help. I appreciate it very much.

Last edited by 1611mac; 11-28-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bluefire uses ADE. So most readers using ADE will behave the same as far as the cover goes. My 650 is very able to pick out the cover and use it as a thumbnail.

I don't see an issue with the cover being the first page. It makes sense. Why would it not?

What other apps are you trying? It seems maybe that these other apps are the problem and Bluefire is the one doing it correctly.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-28-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #21
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Bluefire uses ADE. So most readers using ADE will behave the same as far as the cover goes. My 650 is very able to pick out the cover and use it as a thumbnail.

I don't see an issue with the cover being the first page. It makes sense. Why would it not?

What other apps are you trying? It seems maybe that these other apps are the problem and Bluefire is the one doing it correctly.
With the cover simply as page one (no defined cover) the cover does not show in Stanza, iBooks, and readMe (at least) (but does show Bluefire, ADE (osx), Kobo, Ouiivo, Shubook.

To work across all these apps the cover needs to be 1.) set (defined) as a cover, and 2.) also placed as page one.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
With the cover simply as page one (no defined cover) the cover does not show in Stanza, iBooks, and readMe (at least) (but does show Bluefire, ADE (osx), Kobo, Ouiivo, Shubook.

To work across all these apps the cover needs to be 1.) set (defined) as a cover, and 2.) also placed as page one.
Stanza, iBooks, and readMe are all either broken or non-standard. Those apps are the issue.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #23
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Stanza, iBooks, and readMe are all either broken or non-standard. Those apps are the issue.
Well yes... but they are probably the most used... therefore I have to deal with it. I think my client would prefer covers to show in these even though they are broken or non-standard. That's the real world.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well yes... but they are probably the most used... therefore I have to deal with it. I think my client would prefer covers to show in these even though they are broken or non-standard. That's the real world.
Yes you can make ePub that will show the cover in BlureFire and iBooks quite easily. First make sure the cover works in Bluefire. Then read the following thread to make the cover work with iBooks. If the others don't work, then let them be as you won't be able to satisfy all of them.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148702

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-28-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #25
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Most used?

On Apple products, yes. But there is much more than just Apple.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Most used?

On Apple products, yes. But there is much more than just Apple.
I'm not sure that iBooks can even be included in a "most used" list for Apple products.

I have no doubt it's installed on most Apple products, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It's easy enough to make the ePub work such that it has a proper cover for BluFire/ADE and iBooks.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #28
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Not quite. I made a cover OK for ADE desktop. I try on the T1, and i get a cut image, i try the orizon and get yet an other result. It's kind of a pain.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

OK how? Some publishers don't even know how to do an OK cover for ADE.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #30
priya.k
priya.k began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ipad
Cover page

Did you validated your epub in GUI validator? some time it gives the best solutions for such issues.

Last edited by priya.k; 11-29-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: N/A
priya.k is offline   Reply With Quote