Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I finally finished this and I did enjoy it. But it was an inappropriate book because it wasn't funny. It didn't belong in humor.

I did like how the relationship between Ted and Marty grew once Ted decided to stay with Marty to take care of him while he was dying. Ted really grew as a person and an adult. He got a life and he did what he had to do. And it was the right things to do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I enjoyed this and I thought it easily funny enough to qualify as humor. I especially enjoyed the wordplay and the baseball bits, as I thought the father/son story was pretty standard stuff but good enough to be the basis for the flights of fancy which were quite entertaining. I also thought he managed the time shifts quite capably and organically.

Some of the 70s "product placements" seemed a little forced when they weren't entirely, well, wrong. Just as one example, "Frusen Glädjé" wasn't even sold until the early 80s. Did Duchovny's memory fail him (and he fail to verify) or did he just like the sound of it and not care?

I really don't see how he could put San Gennaro on the LES when everyone knows it's in Little Italy!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Maureen Dowd's interviewed David Duchovny with the publication of his third novel, Miss Subways. I'm not a huge fan of Dowd's but the interview is wide-ranging, interesting and fun, and, the point of this post, I liked Bucky F&%@ing Dent sufficiently that I'll read Duchovny's new novel also. It wouldn't have been on my radar had Dent not been a book club selection.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:27 AM   #34
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Maureen Dowd's interviewed David Duchovny with the publication of his third novel, Miss Subways. I'm not a huge fan of Dowd's but the interview is wide-ranging, interesting and fun, and, the point of this post, I liked Bucky F&%@ing Dent sufficiently that I'll read Duchovny's new novel also. It wouldn't have been on my radar had Dent not been a book club selection.
Thanks for the heads up! I just preordered the book from amazon. It's being released tomorrow. It may take a while for me to get to it. I started Les Miserables a bit ago. It seems I've been reading forever and I'm 18% through.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote