Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2016, 02:57 AM   #1
TheFattie
Connoisseur
TheFattie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
KUAL buttons as books?

Just like Collection Manager, is there any way to directly access a KUAL button like a book/Active Content?

Or is it the other way, and KUAL launches the Active Content?
TheFattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
KUAL buttons cannot be made into Active Content "books".

Some KUAL buttons like Collections Manager are designed to start another Active Content "book" anyway. Those can simply be used through their Active Content launcher without using KUAL at all.
However, most KUAL buttons are written in bash/python and can only be started using KUAL (or Aeris' Native Menu launcher).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
irreld
Enthusiast
irreld began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 PW3 DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
KUAL buttons cannot be made into Active Content "books".

Some KUAL buttons like Collections Manager are designed to start another Active Content "book" anyway. Those can simply be used through their Active Content launcher without using KUAL at all.
However, most KUAL buttons are written in bash/python and can only be started using KUAL (or Aeris' Native Menu launcher).
I also have similar problems. Active Contents -> KUAL -> kterm is a long way to go if I need kterm (almost) every day. Is it possible to build another azw2 (or a template) to start kterm.sh (any script) like KUAL does using runtime.getexec() or something else blah blah blah?
irreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:32 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could.

Personally, I prefer Aeris' "Native Kindle Menu", Android-style dropdown which is a lot more responsive since it simply injects custom HTML into the homescreen
Old 03-20-2016, 12:55 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
You could.

Personally, I prefer Aeris' "Native Kindle Menu", Android-style dropdown which is a lot more responsive since it simply injects custom HTML into the homescreen
I thought she already included kTerm in her menu collection.

Oh, and once you install her menu, you can select the menu items in KUAL also (by design).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:18 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

She did.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
She did.
For those who missed it -
Aeris is one of the people who used a Kindle to learn HTML5/CSS2/JavaScript and then went on to do the same type of work at a 'day job'.

Inside of that little e-book reader is an example of a very complex, modern, computer system.
And a Kindle is a lot cheaper than professional, 'development board', learning tools.

Plus - you can use it to read books if you ever get laid off from your 'day job'.

Last edited by knc1; 03-20-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Did you geht Native Kindle Menu to work on 5.7.3.1? I tried it today, but these things didn't work: actually starting any app (though the apps work when started via their KUAL menu entries); the status bar shortcut doesn't work, too. What does actually work is displaying the Native Kindle Menu itself when triggered via its KUAL menu entry. But when I tap on any app, like GCalculator, the menu closes and the Kindle Home Screen is displayed.

Last edited by pete330; 03-21-2016 at 11:49 AM.
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Other than the things on NiLuJe's snapshots thread, we do not do proactive maintenance here.

Everything else, we wait for a trouble report (and hope the reporter has time to help us fix whatever went wrong).

I.E: We don't have a centralized build, release and distribute system at Mobileread.
Each author maintains their own work on an 'as needed' basis.

For authors that have become in-active, this can mean a bit of delay until someone else picks up the maintenance chore.
(One of the reasons every author posts their sources in public repositories - so anyone else can get at it to fix it.)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Someone who uses Aeris' Native Menu and has a >=5.6.5 device will need to put in the work to fix it.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #11
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, many thanks for the reply, I am aware of that, I built the working gargoyle version for >= 5.6.5 and posted it here. Since the native kindle menu was recommended above I was just interested to find out if I am the only one having the problems I mentioned in my first post. I can/should start a new thread for that.
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete330 View Post
Hi, many thanks for the reply, I am aware of that, I built the working gargoyle version for >= 5.6.5 and posted it here. Since the native kindle menu was recommended above I was just interested to find out if I am the only one having the problems I mentioned in my first post. I can/should start a new thread for that.
I seem to recall seeing a post here where the menu items that where working and the ones that where broke was listed.

Note: that the 'battery icon tweak' has been broken for quite some time (time counted in firmware versions).
Old 03-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I think the individual thread for the battery percentage had some mention of breaking changes in the firmware.

Anyway -- try posting in the Native Menu thread, see if any other users respond. Or Aeris might return.
If nothing else, document your efforts together with the hack.