Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
jankovicgood
Connoisseur
jankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enough

Device: sony
PCs are best for e-reading, Microsoft's Ballmer says

update

Last edited by jankovicgood; 12-16-2009 at 09:32 AM.
jankovicgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jankovicgood View Post

Note to Ballmer: Barnes and Nobles software already works on the PC AND on various mobile platforms, including Windows Mobile.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
So does Adobe Digital Editions and Mobipocket (at least on the PC). I think only Kindle format ebooks are not viewable on the PC (without removing DRM, that is).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
From my experience, you're both dead right. I can read every single ebook in my various libraries (I don't have Kindle and don't want one) on PC, laptop and netbook as well as on my Sony PRS-505. I've been work reading on screen for over ten years: all my recreational reading is now on my 505. Ever tried taking a PC to bed or slipping a laptop into your inside pocket? Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I always find using a 17" LCD screen in the bath quite challenging, and I will NEVER again use one in the shower (shudder!)
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
But PC's are big, bulky, heavy and have awful batter life. Well, compared to a Sony or such.

I wonder if Balmer ever uses the competition and alternative devices that he trashes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
My PC is in the office, and yes its where I started reading Ebooks.

My jetbook is normally by my recliner, but goes to the deck, the kitchen, the office, the lake cabin, and anywhere else where I might have 5 min of uninterrupted time.

Including the River Bank if the fishing is slow.

I love both, but the one does not replace the other.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
maybe one of those mini-laptop PC's that are tiny, but a desktop or standard size notebook? i dont think the screen size outweighs the inconvenience of not being able to just go down to the coffee shop or the park.
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But PC's are big, bulky, heavy and have awful batter life.
Not necessarily. We're seeing more and more ultra-portables being released in the past few months. We now have a couple of reasonably-priced ultra-thin notebooks (e.g. Acer Aspire Timeline, ASUS UL, MSI X340). We're bound to see Intel's CULV processors on tablets/slates sooner or later. Then, there's the Atom. Sure, battery life still can't compare to e-ink but a PC certainly has more functionality.

Besides, Microsoft isn't the best when it comes to marketing. If they do release an ebook reading device, it'll probably flop so they're better off leaving the gadget making to hardware companies and just encourage companies to release software readers for their operating systems.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal_9000 View Post
maybe one of those mini-laptop PC's that are tiny, but a desktop or standard size notebook? i dont think the screen size outweighs the inconvenience of not being able to just go down to the coffee shop or the park.
Not everybody reads when they go out. For those who only read at home at their desks, there's nothing wrong with using a computer for reading (or a laptop, to give yourself a bit more mobility).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I believe he's right though, for now. The PC/Mac is the most popular reading device out there. Most ebook readers don't have a dedicated device or even a PDA or Smart Phone.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I believe he's right though, for now. The PC/Mac is the most popular reading device out there. Most ebook readers don't have a dedicated device or even a PDA or Smart Phone.
A recent survey by O'Reilly seems to bear this out, as it indicates that PDF is still the dominant e-book format. It is considered to be flexible, but best read on computers and laptops, suggesting that the combination of PDFs on full computers and laptops ably dominate the industry.

(Interesting, though, as I've never sold a single novel in PDF, and when I removed PDF from my selections, I was never asked to put them back in. But they could be creating their own from RTF files...)

Jow Wickert of O'Reilly says ePub is a distant second, but as more devices and apps add the format to their list, this may change quickly...
Old 10-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Not everybody reads when they go out. For those who only read at home at their desks, there's nothing wrong with using a computer for reading (or a laptop, to give yourself a bit more mobility).
true. but more fundamentally: when i read for pleasure, i want to feel like i'm reading for pleasure, and not back at the office where i just spent 10 hours staring into a backlit computer screen. holding a book-size ereader with no backlit screen at least comes somewhat close to putting me in that mode.
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal_9000 View Post
true. but more fundamentally: when i read for pleasure, i want to feel like i'm reading for pleasure, and not back at the office where i just spent 10 hours staring into a backlit computer screen. holding a book-size ereader with no backlit screen at least comes somewhat close to putting me in that mode.
As your wording suggests, that's fundamental for you... not necessarily for everyone else. Lots of people see computers as devices for recreation, not just work, and therefore don't have trouble reading from them after working with them for hours.

I understand how you can feel that way, plenty of other people do as well, and there's nothing wrong with that opinion. We just have to understand that it isn't everybody's opinion... and apparently, it isn't even the majority opinion. Yet.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
no need for its own e-reader, since it already supplies the software that runs the most popular device for electronic reading
That device is hell to read on a crowded train. Also, not so good for standing in line at the lunch counter. Troublesome to read aloud to a child curled up on my lap, too.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote