Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
KevinCoed
KevinCoed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Kindle Fire - book not showing on device within Calibre.

Hi, I've never had a problem using Calibre until now, but when I tried to backup my recent purchases one of the books is not showing up in the main memory of the device so I am unable to back it up. I have tried removing the book from my kindle and downloading it again but that has made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a question that has been asked many times before.
KevinCoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will likely be in the new KFX format, simply download it from your manage my content page on amazon, which will give you a regular azw3 file you can add to calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2015, 01:46 AM   #3
KevinCoed
KevinCoed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks. I'll give that a try.
KevinCoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #4
TWHanson1
Enthusiast
TWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: PC
Similar problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It will likely be in the new KFX format, simply download it from your manage my content page on amazon, which will give you a regular azw3 file you can add to calibre.
1. My problem is similar to KevinCoed's in that the books I downloaded from Amazon don't appear on my Kindle content in Calibre. I tried the solution you offered to KevinCoed and got nothing.

2. Further, I tried a workaround by delivering the Amazon books to my Kindle for PC app (Ver. 1.17.1). Never arrived.

3. Fun fact: Windows Explorer seems to think my Kindle plugged into a USB port is a media device, i.e. I get a Windows Media Player popup window when I plug it in.

Any help would be appreciated.
TWHanson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
1) Books sent to devices (direct), sometimes are in protected storage (and you can't get to that via USB)

2)Some books are not available/compatible with K4PC (IIRC will not list your PC device as a target)

3) Because most media devices are MTP or might do PTP (if it has a camera)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
TWHanson1
Enthusiast
TWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Thanks TheDucks. My ultimate reason for point (1) is to move my Amazon purchased and downloaded books from Kindle to Calibre. My first choice was to do this within Calibre, but when I click on Device/Show book in the main memory of the device, these books don't appear. Is there a workaround until I can solve that problem?
Old 08-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWHanson1 View Post
I tried the solution you offered to KevinCoed and got nothing.
What do you mean by "nothing"? What happened when you selected the "Download & transfer via USB" for that book on Amazon's website?

(Note: Since you own a Fire tablet, if the book has DRM then the version you download this way will not be usable in calibre.)

Quote:
2. Further, I tried a workaround by delivering the Amazon books to my Kindle for PC app (Ver. 1.17.1). Never arrived.
Launch the Kindle for PC program and find the book in the library list within the program. Double click the cover image to download and open it.

Quote:
3. Fun fact: Windows Explorer seems to think my Kindle plugged into a USB port is a media device, i.e. I get a Windows Media Player popup window when I plug it in.
Connecting the device is not going to give you access to its books. Almost all books found on Fire devices will be in KFX format with DRM that cannot currently be removed.

Last edited by jhowell; 08-08-2020 at 11:38 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Connecting the device is not going to give you access to its books. Almost all books found on Fire devices will be in KFX format with DRM that cannot currently be removed.
and that DRM is device specific. so even though you bought the book, have the receipt.... your PC cannot decrypt the book files that were sent to your fire tablet, even if you could somehow locate and copy them.

amazon will however, on request, and as others have explained send your book(s) to your K for PC in a format which your PC can understand
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
TWHanson1
Enthusiast

Thanks jhowell.

I never clicked on "Download & transfer via USB" because that's not what I want to do. These books are already on my Fire, I just can't get them to Calibre or even view them or make Calibre aware that they even exist.

I selected "Deliver" at the top of my Books-All list and selected "Device selected/ Thaddeous's Kindle for PC 2". "Nothing" in this context means that the books never showed up in my Kindle for PC app, nor did the Amazon site reflect that Kindle for PC contained any of the books.

Some people reported being able to transfer KFX format DRM protected books from Amazon/Manage Your Content by installing an earlier version of Kindle for PC, namely ver. 1.17.1. My hope was that I could then move the books to Calibre via Add Books. as I have done with other DRM protected books, and have Calibre remove DRM with its plugin, which has always worked in the past.

Ref: "Launch the Kindle for PC program and find the book in the library list within the program. Double click the cover image to download and open it." When I do this the Kindle for PC program shows no books to select.

"It will likely be in the new KFX format, simply download it from your manage my content page on amazon, which will give you a regular azw3 file you can add to calibre."
--- kovidgoyal 10-13-2015
I hope kovidgoyal is right and that I'm just doing something wrong. Otherwise Calibre has become totally useless for managing my library.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I never clicked on "Download & transfer via USB" because that's not what I want to do. These books are already on my Fire, I just can't get them to Calibre or even view them or make Calibre aware that they even exist.
That function downloads a book to your PC. You don't have to actually transfer it to your device via USB. You can instead import it into calibre. That will work for any books you own that are DRM-free.

Quote:
Ref: "Launch the Kindle for PC program and find the book in the library list within the program. Double click the cover image to download and open it." When I do this the Kindle for PC program shows no books to select.
Make sure Kindle for PC is registered to your account. You should see cover thumbnails for all of your purchased books when you launch it.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #11
TWHanson1
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip jhowell. My Kindle for PC device is shown to be registered on Amazon's site but my computer shows it to be unregistered. When I go through the registration procedure on my computer, it says that I successfully registered. But when I close the app and reopen it, it still says it's unregistered. Guess I should deregister on Amazon then do an uninstall/reinstall and re-register.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks for the tip jhowell. My Kindle for PC device is shown to be registered on Amazon's site but my computer shows it to be unregistered. When I go through the registration procedure on my computer, it says that I successfully registered. But when I close the app and reopen it, it still says it's unregistered. Guess I should deregister on Amazon then do an uninstall/reinstall and re-register.
What I found is that if Amazon shows a registered K4PC device, registering an unregistered instance gave me a second Kindle for PC device. At one point, where I was having issues with K4PC and did some uninstalls and re-installs, I had 4 Kindle for PC devices. I ended up de-registering all of them and re-registering the current install.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote