Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
javierdl
javierdl began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E
Question Please demistify this webpage for me

I have been using Plucker for sometime now, without a problem until I found this webpage (my bus schedule). It actually does get converted into a Plucker file, but the 1st column is not displayed along with the rest, which makes it not so practical as you have to figure out on your own what hour matches what schedule. I thought of editing the page myself, but unfortunately the part where it shows the actual schedule does not have any HTML I don't know Javascript (assuming that's what it is), so I was wondering if someone here could advice me on how to edit this page.
--------------------------------------------------------

I've noticed many have seen this post but no one has answered yet, if anyone is afraid of checking the link I have above let me know and I'll be happy to include an excerpt from that coding off of that page here for people to see.

Thanks in advance,

JDL

Last edited by javierdl; 02-18-2007 at 02:39 PM.
javierdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Instantwill
Instantwill began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire 72 / Treo 650
From looking at the page source this is pre-formatted text within a table. Key word here is table. I haven't used Plucker in a while, but from what I remember, it doesn't support tables.
Instantwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2007, 02:35 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You could try asking in the Sunrise section, but so far as I know Plucker still does not support tables. Even without table support in the viewer, Plucker Distiller (or Sunrise) should be able to do a better job of "linearizing" tables - particularly a simple two column table such is your time table.

This is one reason that some prefer iSilo.

The W3 Web Accessibility Initiative has a utility, Tablin, to linearize tables. There is an on-line version, but it does not work with your link above. This is the kind of capability that Distiller and/or Sunrise should have.

In a quick Google search, I also found two utilities to convert tables: HTML2Table and HTMLtoRTF Converter.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-19-2007 at 03:01 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
javierdl
javierdl began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E
Thank you so much for your help guys

I used HTMLtoRTF to convert to RTF & TXT but none gave a good result.

I did try Sunrise but it did not succeed converting the table either (but I loved those links in the "showcase" file).
About that code, what really threw me off is the way those Table Cells are done, particularly the fact that no <BR> are used to pass to the next row, I noticed a tag I never saw before: <TT>, I guess this tag has a lot to do with the absence of the <BR>. Also when I open that page in Dreamweaver it doesn't show me the schedules (I can only see them in code mode).
The only thing that has worked so far is bringing the data in the 2nd <TD> tag, into the 1st <TD> tag. Of course the drag is that I have to do that manually

JDL
javierdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Your're almost right with suspecting <TT> to be responsible. <TT> is "typewriter text", to use a monospaced font. <PRE> is the evildoer, the "preformatted" text is output as in the html file, all spaces and linebreaks are kept. That's why there are no <BR>s.

Sorry that I don't have a solution for your problem, but maybe it "demytifies" the thing a bit.

PS: I'm new in this nice forum!
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert