Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
b1m2x3
b1m2x3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
is the kobo return period 14 days, or 30?

Hi everyone,
I purchased my kobo last month, on the 14th, in hopes that the new firmware upgrade would solve many of the problems we've been having with the unit.

After upgrading, however, I've become completely dissatisfied with the kobo. The battery life went from bad to worse, and the shut off timer is such a pain for me, as I use the kobo to read technical books while doing work (reading, working, reading, working etc).

I've been putting it off, trying to hang on, as I very much respect the kobo employees that bounce around this forum offering help and taking suggestions. I know they've worked hard on the kobo and I respect that.

However I can't see myself using the kobo even after the firmware upgrade. I would like to return the kobo to my local chapters... the kobo terms of use say the unit can be returned within 30 days but I'm pretty sure chapters will say it's 14... anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.koboereader.com/pdf/Kobo_...rms_of_Use.pdf

If I'm out of luck, anyone want to buy a kobo? Haha.
b1m2x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
If bought online, it's 30 days. If bought in store, it's 14 days. This is the official terms but I heard that some returned it after 14 days even if it had been bought in store, but you mileage may vary...
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
I bought mine via Borders.com in the U.S.. As a Borders Rewards member, I have up to 60 days to walk my unit into a retail store for replacement or credit. Check your receipt ... check the Web site of your retailer and see what the store policies are. Check with your credit card company, and see if there are any options via that route.

You sound more like a case of "buyer's remorse" than anything really wrong with the unit (" ... I can't see myself using the kobo even after the firmware upgrade ... "). Whatever - you have some remedies to check out.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
i was initially very enthusiastic. i'm also happy with the interaction from kobo support, especially in this forum. they're outstanding, and i forgive much for that (such as the late firmware upgrade; promised originally for end of may).

but i am much less enthusiastic about the kobo reader now. and no, it's not buyer's remorse (i don't buy impulsively). the reader had some serious problems to start with (battery, font scaling, pdf flow), and while the firmware upgrade has handled some of them, it has not solved my battery issues, and the forced shutdown has made using it much more cumbersome for me (similar to the original poster). i'm starting to feel like i was sold a lemon, and kobo is now slapping on some polish -- the battery issues seem incredibly widespread, and so we get a forced shutdown to conserve battery power because the unit might not last long otherwise. makes me wonder when it's gonna conk for good; this has clearly not been expected, and there will be no true remedy since the battery is (stupidly) sealed.

as to returning it, i am about to go to my local chapters tomorrow and ask about it -- i bought mine 45 days ago, and i doubt they'll replace it for me, but it can't hurt to try. otherwise i will exchange mine via kobo itself and see whether the new unit gets better battery performance, but if that doesn't happen, i too will return it and give up on kobo for now. why in the world should anyone stick with a product that does not work as advertised? the "8000 page turns" (or rather some reality-based facsimile thereof, like, oh, half, because i'm nice like that) were instrumental in me deciding for the kobo. i'm getting about 1200. and now i have to reboot the damn thing every time i want to pick up my read. this is most decidedly not what i thought i was buying.

get out of our face if the same issues don't bother you; you are not us. one of the most stupid things i see here is person B saying "that doesn't bother me at all" after person A complains about something that matters to them. so i don't care about cover art, why should i argue with a person who does? we are not clones of each other, we don't use our tools the same way, we don't enjoy the same entertainment.

the original poster said nothing that called for you belittling him.

Last edited by pleochroic; 07-09-2010 at 02:52 AM.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleochroic View Post
i was initially very enthusiastic. i'm also happy with the interaction from kobo support, especially in this forum. they're outstanding, and i forgive much for that (such as the late firmware upgrade; promised originally for end of may).

Too late. We have to eat you now.

Seriously, spite I do not have my device yet, it gives me a reason
to love it already. It is linux, so users might help and develop apps
and whatever. Kobo people are open minded and intended to add
more options. One of them should be pdf reflow. Maybe 1.4 is not
dream version, but 1.5 or 2.0 will be better.

I have an idea, if acceptable for kobo. They may produce torrent file
and let people spread it over the community. It would be the best
method for every new SD image, as I see users willing to upgrade
for newer/better.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
How are you envisioning PDF "reflow"? It's a static presentation format. I do realise Adobe added accessibility tags but nobody uses them. You're blaming the hardware when it's a limitation of the media.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
How are you envisioning PDF "reflow"? It's a static presentation format. I do realise Adobe added accessibility tags but nobody uses them. You're blaming the hardware when it's a limitation of the media.
Huh! I fly too high. Correct.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
b1m2x3
b1m2x3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleochroic View Post

but i am much less enthusiastic about the kobo reader now. and no, it's not buyer's remorse (i don't buy impulsively). the reader had some serious problems to start with (battery, font scaling, pdf flow), and while the firmware upgrade has handled some of them, it has not solved my battery issues, and the forced shutdown has made using it much more cumbersome for me (similar to the original poster). i'm starting to feel like i was sold a lemon, and kobo is now slapping on some polish -- the battery issues seem incredibly widespread, and so we get a forced shutdown to conserve battery power because the unit might not last long otherwise. makes me wonder when it's gonna conk for good; this has clearly not been expected, and there will be no true remedy since the battery is (stupidly) sealed.

as to returning it, i am about to go to my local chapters tomorrow and ask about it -- i bought mine 45 days ago, and i doubt they'll replace it for me, but it can't hurt to try. otherwise i will exchange mine via kobo itself and see whether the new unit gets better battery performance, but if that doesn't happen, i too will return it and give up on kobo for now. why in the world should anyone stick with a product that does not work as advertised? the "8000 page turns" (or rather some reality-based facsimile thereof, like, oh, half, because i'm nice like that) were instrumental in me deciding for the kobo. i'm getting about 1200. and now i have to reboot the damn thing every time i want to pick up my read. this is most decidedly not what i thought i was buying.

get out of our face if the same issues don't bother you; you are not us. one of the most stupid things i see here is person B saying "that doesn't bother me at all" after person A complains about something that matters to them. so i don't care about cover art, why should i argue with a person who does? we are not clones of each other, we don't use our tools the same way, we don't enjoy the same entertainment.

Thank you!

You're lucky you get 1200 page turns! I average less than 1000.

I'll be taking my kobo back to a chapters store tomorrow, also (work permitting), to see what they say.
b1m2x3 is offline   Reply With Quote