Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Royal Assassin... any good as a stand alone book?

So I bought the Farseer trilogy and read part one, which I found quite good.

As I was about to start part two my girlfriend broke my prs500. She actually stepped on it while doing the laundry. Can you imagine the clumsiness? Just because it was placed on the floor on the side of the bed and next to the laundry basket, partly covered by socks and t-shirts, doesn't mean that she shouldn't pay attention to where she puts her foot.

Anyway, after putting on my sad face for about 30 seconds I was given unlimited access to our joint funds, which I immediately used to buy a 505 including the lighted cover (which I love btw).

Trouble is that all the worrying about the spending must have made me think that Assassin's quest was actually part two.

I did wonder early on in the book, that a lot had happened since I left Fitzchivalry, but hey... some authors like to make jumps in time in between sequels.

So my question is: Now that I have read part one and part three, is part two worth reading on its own, or should I move on to something else say Anathem or The Sparrow?

BTW: Despite the nearly intolerable clumsiness of my girlfriend, I did marry her shortly afterwards. Out of pity, naturally. Almost goes without saying.

Last edited by Laz116; 02-05-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Definitely read part two. I've just recently started it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
That's a very clever strategy for upgrading your PRS500!

I enjoyed all three books in the trilogy but I can't say how enjoyable it would be to read the 2nd after the 3rd. My recommendation is to read it.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
That's a very clever strategy for upgrading your PRS500!

I enjoyed all three books in the trilogy but I can't say how enjoyable it would be to read the 2nd after the 3rd. My recommendation is to read it.

I probably will, although I did find the first half of Assassin's quest rather tedious.

And yes... I immediately started placing the flat screen tv, my mobile phone etc. on the floor in the hopes that she would step on it... to no avail...

And it is kind of hard to watch tv when it's on the floor.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
All Robin Hobb's books are deeply intelligent fantasies, where character motivation is uppermost.

Her books are character-driven fantasies and beautifully written.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am less than a hundred pages short of finishing Assassin's Quest.

I loved book 1 and 2. I believe 2 is slightly better, I think it is worth to read it even though you read book 3.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
She actually stepped on it while doing the laundry.

(...) I was given unlimited access to our joint funds,

(...) BTW: Despite the nearly intolerable clumsiness of my girlfriend, I did marry her shortly afterwards. Out of pity, (...)
You did well to train her before marrying
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Funnily enough, I did exactly the same thing - read book 1, then book 3 (not realising that I'd missed one out) and then went back and read book 2.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
A few years ago I tried to read the first book, and I couldn't get past the first page. I vaguely remember being dissuaded by too much description.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
A few years ago I tried to read the first book, and I couldn't get past the first page. I vaguely remember being dissuaded by too much description.
Hmm. I am not a big fun of descriptions myself. I prefer action.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Hmm. I am not a big fun of descriptions myself. I prefer action.
Read the first few pages on amazon and let me know if it's just me or not..
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a series that I very much enjoyed myself. I'd certainly recommend it - it's a very good story, and that (for me) is the most important aspect of any book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I like a fluid prose, with action and description in good measure. When a book starts to be overdescriptive and, specially, if the author tries too hard to impress us with their vocabulary and exagerating with the adjectives... That's a major turn off for me.

If I wanted an entire page describing how blue and beautiful is the sky, in the middle of a police chase, I would rather read poetry.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I like a fluid prose, with action and description in good measure. When a book starts to be overdescriptive and, specially, if the author tries too hard to impress us with their vocabulary and exagerating with the adjectives... That's a major turn off for me.

If I wanted an entire page describing how blue and beautiful is the sky, in the middle of a police chase, I would rather read poetry.
If you want to kill yourself and stab your eyes out, read "The Iron Tree" by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. Or you can just read the reviews on amazon (one of mine is on there).

Worst. Book. Ever.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
Over
Wizard

Quote:
If you want to kill yourself and stab your eyes out, read "The Iron Tree" by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. Or you can just read the reviews on amazon (one of mine is on there).

Worst. Book. Ever.
Lol, no thank you. I believe in your word:

Quote:
Wow. This was horrible. I don't say that often, but it was true. The publisher let this out? And worse, she's been compared to Tolkien? No. Apparantly it wasn't just me either (man I wish I had checked out the reviews before getting this), except Harriet Klausner, but its not like she's reading any of these books anyway, and her opinion just cements that.

First of all, there are so many ridiculous lists of things that don't matter. I really don't care about all the fifty types of plants that come to the desert after the rains, sorry. And my lord, the decription. If I hear about how Lilith's lips are like petals one more time, I'll vomit. Some description is good, but geez, there's a thing called balance. I've never in my life seen someone go so overboard on description.

There was a glimmer of an interesting story underneath, which is a shame since it drowned underneath the descriptive swamp of this book. But apparantly the author wanted to have a "Shakespearean" twist to it. Darling, it doesn't work when you write in that style for the narrative, and no one will believe it when you're characters only stick to that style of speaking occasionally with no apparant pattern. Not to mention the fact that her two main characters could be gods for the lack of faults that they have (well, except the one goes nuts, but not for long), and their romance was so incredibly lame I was yearning for a Jennifer Lopez movie for something more realistic.

Please do not even bother. Maybe you can try it in paperback, but be warned, this book is really that bad.

BTW, why did you stop reviewing in Amazon?

Last edited by Over; 02-06-2009 at 10:29 AM.