Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've tried (and failed) to read Middlemarch a couple of times - it just didn't hold my attention. I'm often suspicious of books labelled 'best of all time' because it can be a rouse to make you feel inadequate if you don't agree!
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Interesting. It's one of the few well known English classics that I have never read - probably because the title is - to me - uninteresting.
It's interesting that you find it uninteresting; I'm not sure why it is more or less interesting than most 19th C titles, which tend to the anodyne anyway. "The Warden" "Northanger Abbey" "Our Mutual Friend" "Jane Eyre" "The Mill on the Floss", etc.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
If you had to prove that a book was good, you could never recommend anything.
Agreed but saying that a book is good is different, IMO, from saying that it's the best in the English language. That, I think, needs to be proved. (Saying it's the best you've read is OK, that would clearly be a personal judgement.) And it's likely the writer of the article could prove his actual statement which is that it is *widely considered* the best. My actual dispute is with those the writer consulted who apparently said that it was the best. Neither it nor Ulysses is best-and IMO Ulysses doesn't even come close to good. Innovative, yes, but not good. I note that Wikipedia (FWIW) claims Ulysses is one of the most important works. No argument there-but important isn't the same as good.

I'm always saddened when literary 'experts' make simple mistakes like confusing words. I'm sure Middlemarch is an important work. It might even be the most important work. (I'd find that arguable due to a lack of consensus of what's most important.) But that doesn't make it the best.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
It's interesting that you find it uninteresting; I'm not sure why it is more or less interesting than most 19th C titles, which tend to the anodyne anyway. "The Warden" "Northanger Abbey" "Our Mutual Friend" "Jane Eyre" "The Mill on the Floss", etc.
I can't tell for the life of me, to tell you the truth.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote