Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
The following seems to be the problem I'm having converting the epub to mobi on KP

<p class=Center style='margin-top:6.0pt'><b><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>author name</span></b></p>

The epub converted by KindlePreviewer... shows this item on the Title Page as centered in the Kindle Fire and Kindle Touch view, but not in the other Kindle device views. CSS problem, yes?

Would I just change the code to read:
<p class=Center margin-top:6.0pt><b><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>author name</span></b></p>

I want a space above the Author Name (margin-top:6.0pt)
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind
The following seems to be the problem I'm having converting the epub to mobi on KP:
<p class=Center style='margin-top:6.0pt'><b><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>author name</span></b></p>
Quote:
Would I just change the code to read:
<p class=Center margin-top:6.0pt><b><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>author name</span></b></p>
I'd have to say no. That would be the same thing (IMO) as "stacking" two classes. There's no real reason to have both a CSS class AND and an inline style defined. Pick one or the other (and your proposed solution is actually syntactically incorrect, btw).

Since you don't include the CSS definitions for your "Center" class it's hard to give a precise answer, but I would either A) move the margin-top attribute to the CSS class you've defined as "Center" ... or B) move the text centering stuff to the inline style definition.

A)
Code:
<p class="center"><b><span style="font-size:14.0pt">author name</span></b></p>
and the corresponding CSS:
Code:
p.center {
  text-align: center;
  margin-top: 6.0pt;
}
B)
Code:
<p style="text-align:center; margin-top:6.0pt"><b><span style="font-size:14.0pt">author name</span></b></p>
P.S. It's "working" for the Fire and the Touch emulators because they're displaying the KF8 version which will allow many of the things that ePub will (like the stacking of styles). The Kindle Emulator is using the MOBI version, and kindlegen is much more finicky about what kind of CSS can be properly/accurately converted to MOBI.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-15-2012 at 12:35 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
A)
Code:
<p class="center"><b><span style="font-size:14.0pt">author name</span></b></p>
and the corresponding CSS:
Code:
p.center {
  margin-top: 6.0pt;
}
I would say it is a lot neater to do the following...

Code:
<p class="center">author name</p>
Code:
.center {
  margin-top: 1em;
  font-weight: bold;
  font-size: x-large
}
I dislike doing paragraph specific styles such as p.center. It's much better (IMHO) to do just plain .center.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
I dislike doing paragraph specific styles such as p.center. It's much better (IMHO) to do just plain .center.
I was just providing the simplest changes to the code provided to accomplish the desired goal.

As far as paragraph (or element) specific styles go ... if I'm only ever going to use a specific style for a paragraph... why not make it paragraph specific? Personal preference, ya ask me.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-15-2012 at 10:03 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way to do it that should work without a hitch is to create an ePub and once that is done and looks good, use the current Kindlegen to generate the KF8/Mobi combination file for sending to Amazon. Check it out using Kindle Previewer and if the Mobi part of the the file looks good, send it in. But since I've never used Kindle Previewer, I don't know if it will display the Mobi part or just the KF8 part or either. If you need to display the Mobi part, use Mobipocket Reader to view it.
I agree with that.

I personally use Sigil to create/edit the ePub from HTML files I generated with Dreamweaver. I would NEVER use calibre to create an ePub. Calibre is good for many things, even creating a quick and usable conversion of a book. However, if you ever want to edit the ePub DON'T use calibre. The reason is that calibre creates a terrible, convoluted, nearly impossible to read CSS file. You'll get a migraine trying to decipher that mess.

My preferred mobi/KF8 creation routine is:
  1. Develop HTML and images (I prefer Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop)
  2. Organize files into book form and create metadata, TOC, and add cover (I prefer Sigil)
  3. Compile files into ePub (I prefer Sigil)
  4. Tweak the OPF to ensure proper Cover display and Go to Beginning location (any good text editor like Notepad++ or HomeSite+)
  5. Compile mobi7 and/or KF8 book with Kindle Previewer*
  6. Test book in Kindle Previewer and in as many Kindles and apps as I can
  7. Publish to KDP

*I always make sure to get rid of any issues which cause errors and warnings when using Kindle Previewer to compile the book. You can publish with some warnings, but I choose to address them prior to publishing.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-15-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Advert

Tags
kdp, mobi