Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Calibre Catalogue, how do you use it (if at all)?

I have recently discovered te Catalogue function of Calibre: what it does is to create a file (epub in my case) which lists all the books and organises them based on various tags - I attach an example (these files are in a directory "trialcatalogue" on my laptop, as a subdirectory of "calibre" that is thsu listed as teh "author" of this epub).

At the moment there is a bug so that for the new models (well, surely for PB903) you cannot create the catalogue while your device is connected to the pc, but you can send this file to the device.

It is rather neat, but of course the great thing would be if one could click on the name of the desired book-document and actually open it in the device. I asked if there was a way to do so in the Calibre forum, but apparently doing such a thing is device dependent. I have no idea of how to do it but I thought I should relay the problem here in case somebody has already solved it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	65712  
Attached Files
File Type: epub trialcatalogue - calibre.epub (215.3 KB, 381 views)
File Type: opf metadata.opf (3.9 KB, 453 views)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
I have recently discovered te Catalogue function of Calibre: what it does is to create a file (epub in my case) which lists all the books and organises them based on various tags - I attach an example (these files are in a directory "trialcatalogue" on my laptop, as a subdirectory of "calibre" that is thsu listed as teh "author" of this epub).

At the moment there is a bug so that for the new models (well, surely for PB903) you cannot create the catalogue while your device is connected to the pc, but you can send this file to the device.

It is rather neat, but of course the great thing would be if one could click on the name of the desired book-document and actually open it in the device. I asked if there was a way to do so in the Calibre forum, but apparently doing such a thing is device dependent. I have no idea of how to do it but I thought I should relay the problem here in case somebody has already solved it!
So I will not promise this feature as I would be killed again if not realized, but I gave the guys the code for Opds (that's the norm the Calibre catalogue is based on) and the guys are working the OPDS in the browser. This way it would be able to access the Calibre cstalogue and download the books wirelessly. That way you could administer the bulk of your books on your desktop and just download and use the books that you want or need on the spot.

I am already using this method with Aldiko and my IQ. (I have 15.000 epubs on my desktop )
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
So I will not promise this feature as I would be killed again if not realized, but I gave the guys the code for Opds (that's the norm the Calibre catalogue is based on) and the guys are working the OPDS in the browser. This way it would be able to access the Calibre cstalogue and download the books wirelessly. That way you could administer the bulk of your books on your desktop and just download and use the books that you want or need on the spot.

I am already using this method with Aldiko and my IQ. (I have 15.000 epubs on my desktop )
thanks mtravellerh: so hopefully in a future firmware update?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
After reading a number of threads here and elsewhere, I was able to integrate my calibre library and dropbox so that I can now download books from my calibre library onto my IQ wirelessly from anywhere using either a browser or aldiko.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I use it to directly access the free Library at BAEN Webscriptions and my purchased books from them. It's really useful.
But OPDS access really should be implemented in the Bookshelf app (for the connected readers) rather than the browser. Mind you, the browser is better than nothing, but still...

(Yes, we're a demanding bunch, aren't we?)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Bookshelf app
sorry fjtorres, is this something jsut for android?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
sorry fjtorres, is this something jsut for android?
OPDS is an open spec supported by a lot of apps on multiple platforms.
The bookshelf I'm referring to is the PB app/function that lets you browse the reader's file system and the favorites folder.
What I'm suggesting is integrating a "folder" containing links to custom online catalogs similar to the way the PB360 integrates the ebook folders from the built-in flash and the SD card into a unified list.
Probably wishful thinking.
(I just figure it can't hurt to ask.)
Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
paola
Wizard

Quote:
OPDS is an open spec supported by a lot of apps on multiple platforms.
The bookshelf I'm referring to is the PB app/function that lets you browse the reader's file system and the favorites folder.
What I'm suggesting is integrating a "folder" containing links to custom online catalogs similar to the way the PB360 integrates the ebook folders from the built-in flash and the SD card into a unified list.
Probably wishful thinking.
(I just figure it can't hurt to ask.)
Ah, maybe I am getting it: in a way, a folder on the device is simply a set of links to the various books/documents. So with what you are suggesting one could even connect wirelessly to the pc's calibre library and download the desired books, am I getting this right?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ah, maybe I am getting it: in a way, a folder on the device is simply a set of links to the various books/documents. So with what you are suggesting one could even connect wirelessly to the pc's calibre library and download the desired books, am I getting this right?
Yes.
That is how Aldiko (on Android) and Stanza (on iOS) do it; you pick the Catalog you want and it connects you to the site's published book list *inside the app*. Selecting a title pops up a pane that shows you a thumbnail and the full description/summary/comments associated with it. Plus the option to download the file. Except for the download pop-up it is like finding and opening a local link.

The chief advantage is integrating the web-hosted content with the local storage without having to bounce between apps.

Here's a step-by-step guide showing how to use dropbox and calibre to feed Stanza on iOS using OPDS catalogs.
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...-opds-dropbox/
You can also access books directly from *your* PC instead, if you choose to.

BTW, OPDS is not the only way to do this kind of stuff; Calibre will also export straight to any browser. Or you can set up your own web page or FTP site and download the books that way. A friend of mine uses his router's FTP function to export his home PC's ebook folders to his Kindle. (With strong security, of course. )

Some time this summer I hope to find the time to take a crack at it myself. There's a lot of value in wifi Readers beyond directly connecting to a storefront.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
paola
Wizard

Fjtorres: THANKS!
I still have a lot of fog to cut through (I am a useless windows user ), but will study your link (and find out about stanza: the first time I heard the word "Android" was on this forum!), sooner or later I'll get there.

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Fjtorres: THANKS!
I still have a lot of fog to cut through (I am a useless windows user ), but will study your link (and find out about stanza: the first time I heard the word "Android" was on this forum!), sooner or later I'll get there.

Thanks a lot!
You're welcome.
I'm just trying to justify my existence.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
For Android, calibre + dropbox work perfectly through a browser and through Aldiko.

calibre2opds actually create catalogues in the following opds/trook/stanza/aldiko.

While opds works through the browser, but I still cannot get moon+ reader to download from the catalogue.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
For Android, calibre + dropbox work perfectly through a browser and through Aldiko.

calibre2opds actually create catalogues in the following opds/trook/stanza/aldiko.

While opds works through the browser, but I still cannot get moon+ reader to download from the catalogue.

Cheers
I have a similar issue with FbreaderJ.
It times out before reading the full listing.
Works fine with Aldiko 1.x.
That's life on the bleeding edge, I suppose.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Here's a step-by-step guide showing how to use dropbox and calibre to feed Stanza on iOS using OPDS catalogs.
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...-opds-dropbox/
mindboggling - and even I could do it! Cannot thank you enough

Quote:
You can also access books directly from *your* PC instead, if you choose to.
this I still have to figure out, but for the moment what I have is pretty amazing
Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
I am a bit afraid to use Calibre. It slows down my computer significantly. Not sure why.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote