Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Kobo store website- questions

1. I seem to have lost the "Add to Library" button on the Kobo store. I used to use it as a "wish list". Whenever I get another coupon code, I check prices on my wish list on my online library. (and sometimes the book's price drops) I have 3 books left on my wish list. They show up in my library with the green price button that you click to purchase. But since the website changes, I can't add any more books. Is there another way to do this now or is it just lost?

2. Free books. I have many free books that I obtained from Kobo. They are in my library and copied to my reader on Sync. If I ever have to delete them, to manage my library (such as "I'm Reading"), I am afraid that I will lose the kepub-format (I do have ePub as backup) since they are not in the "Purchased" list on my library. Can anyone confirm if I will be able to restore the kepubs if I have to delete them?
** edit ** just noticed - with the loss of "Add to Library" it seems you can now only get ePubs for free books. So maybe this is by design. Why, Kobo, why?

3. I click "Keep me signed in" but that has never worked. I have to sign in quite regularly. I have my own laptop and no one else has access so I would like it to remain signed in. Does this work for anyone else?

Last edited by dmacmart; 12-24-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: free book behaviour
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Look for a "save for later" link--that will add it to the library in the same way that "Add to Library" did in the past. You can see it if you mouse over the blue circle with the "i" and in other places.

Kobo seems to be making some changes to the book store--and some of them are confusing, from my POV. When you "save for later" a free book that appears to be available only as an ePUB book, and then update your library in the desktop application, the book will download in a kepub format and transfer to your reader on sync. It may also transfer on sync without adding it to the desktop application, but I have not tried that.

Keep me signed in seems to last only for one session on the desktop, but persists on mobile devices.

The bigger issue for me is when they introduced the new buttons that differentiate between Adobe DRM ePUBs and ePUB books without DRM, they appear to have screwed up, resulting in some DRM free books appearing as Adobe DRM. I think they know they screwed that up, but it hasn't been fixed yet. I pointed out one author, and they have since pulled the ePUB formats for that author, which had been labeled ADOBE DRM ePUB. They have yet to be replaced though with the DRM free versions, which leads me to believe this may be a scary (from their POV) redo in terms of finding and "fixing" each book.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks I never even saw the Save For Later option.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
3. I click "Keep me signed in" but that has never worked. I have to sign in quite regularly. I have my own laptop and no one else has access so I would like it to remain signed in. Does this work for anyone else?
It doesn't work here either. As long as my internet browser window is OPEN, I'm still signed in. When I close Firefox (even if I open Firefox in the next instant) I'm signed out. On a ten-point "it bugs me" scale, I give it a 2 of 10.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomnia View Post
It doesn't work here either. As long as my internet browser window is OPEN, I'm still signed in. When I close Firefox (even if I open Firefox in the next instant) I'm signed out. On a ten-point "it bugs me" scale, I give it a 2 of 10.
Yeah that's about right. I was just wondering if it worked for anyone, I'd clear my cookies or something.
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I can't figure out how to buy more than 1 book at a time at Kobo and/or Borders. Is there a trick to it?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Yeah that's about right. I was just wondering if it worked for anyone, I'd clear my cookies or something.
No, the Kobo books site doesn't keep you logged in after you shut down your browser, even though they have a checkbox for the option.

Must be a bug.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
They made some changes to the site a month or so ago and since then it doesn't keep me logged in - it used to before that.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
blivett
Rock Doctor
blivett began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Indexing books downloaded from kobo site

I downloaded an ebook from kobo website onto my kobo ereader and can see it there and read it but when I look for the ebook using Calibre it cant find it.

I have seen on the Calibre help file the following:

VIRTUAL_BOOK_EXTENSIONS¶
Set of extensions that are “virtual books” on the device and therefore cannot be viewed/saved/added to library For example: frozenset(['kobo'])

That may explain why I cant View it externally with Calibre, but it does not explain to me why I cant locate the ebook on my device using Calibre as other ebooks in kobo format can be located.

I am new to all this and expect there is a good reason.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Last edited by blivett; 12-26-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: new information came to light since posting
blivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
blivett
Rock Doctor

Problems reading "book' on SD card after upgrade to 1.8

When I plugged my kobo ereader in today I was informed there was a new software version 1.8 available. So I installed it. Everything went well except that some of the instructions were ambiguous. At one point it asked if you had an SD card installed? If so remove it now. Did that, and followed instructions to the point where it said that if you had previously registered Adobe Digital Editions then would have to re-register your ebook with them - but if did not say how. OK got the message that the new software was installed. But when I re-inserted my 4GB card and tried to read the newspapers I had previously downloaded there using Calibre, the kobo ereader could only show the "book" titles but NOT the content. I called the kobo help line 1800 064 011 and the lass was at a loss to know how to correct other than going Menu -> Settings -> Advanced Settings -> RESET DEVICE NOW. Not likely ! So I thanked her and went my own way by switching off the device, removing the SD card, attaching the kobo ereader to the PC and downloading the newspapers again using Calibre. This time when I disconnected and clicked on the titles I could read them. Mmm. So it was not a problem with 1.8 not reading the downloaded epub newspapers. I then turned off, re-inserted the SD card, confirmed that I could again read the titles but not the content of the newspapers on the SD card and fired up Calibre, deleted the files from the SD card and the news sub-directory and re-downloaded the newspapers onto the SD card. This time when I disconnected and clicked on the titles I could read the content of the newspapers on the SD card !! So what has been leant? Maybe the instructions for upgrading to 1.8 should prompt you to reinsert the SD card at some point? It remains a mystery to me, but at least everything now reads ok. Has anyone else experienced problems installing the new 1.8 ?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
blivett
Rock Doctor

Another "newby" question. Is it possible when invoking MENU to scroll through and then select an item, to return directly to the MENU at the point where it leaves a tick rather than having to scroll or page through the sometimes long MENU to come to that ticked item ? ie. ability to pick up the menu where you left it last.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
They tell you to take the SD card out because the SD slot should be empty to do the update, but since the content is on the SD card, it really is necessary to have the card inserted to read the books.

What menu are you talking about? My menus on the reader aren't very long and the last item used on the menu is the one that is highlighted. Very handy for folks who like to use the dictionary.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:42 AM   #13
blivett
Rock Doctor

Menu button on kobo does not return you to last item read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
They tell you to take the SD card out because the SD slot should be empty to do the update, but since the content is on the SD card, it really is necessary to have the card inserted to read the books.

Thanks. I didn't do that and although the newly installed version 1.8 could display the titles of the books on the SD card it could find no content. I solved the problem by removing the files and directories from the SD card and reinstalling the books (which were downloads of regional newspapers). Now kobo can display their contents.

What menu are you talking about? My menus on the reader aren't very long and the last item used on the menu is the one that is highlighted. Very handy for folks who like to use the dictionary.
I am referring to the Menu button on the kobo. The main problem is when I am reading downloaded newspapers where the Menu list is several (3-5 pages ) long. The menu leaves a tick against the item I have just read but when I go back to the Menu to select another item (not reading sequentially as you would in a novel) it brings me to the first item in the Menu which can be 5 Menu pages earlier. I would like it to return me to the Menu page I last visited.

Does anyone know of a fix for this annoying limitation ?

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL
Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit I do tend to read papers sequentially; if I get to an article in the paper I do not want to read, I hit the middle of the D-Pad to bring up the Kobo menu, and then, since the last menu item I was on is "Next Article", I hit the middle of the D-Pad a second time to select that option.

The only time this breaks down is the last article in a section; then I have to navigate to the list of sections, and select the next one.

I do though see your point; even use of the Back button takes you back to the first page of the list of articles as opposed to the current page in the list of articles.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Don't know the cure, but I do find it annoying. I wish it would just go back to the page the article you were just reading is on. Shouldn't be that difficult and I think that's how most people would want it to work.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote