Old 09-18-2007, 01:12 AM   #31
Elltrain
Elltrain began at the beginning.

No love for vim in here?
Elltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #32
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elltrain View Post
No love for vim in here?
There is from me.

But then, I collect text editors, and have a lot installed to look at.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2007, 12:07 AM   #33
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Text editors are like religions. Everyone defends their favorite. Mine was emacs for a long time. Friends tried to convert me to vi. I saw its advantages but I had many useful habits developed over many years in emacs.

Any text editor I use now has to have good macro facilities. My current favorite is PSPad. It does everything I need, it is free, and it will display and edit in hex mode -- very useful! (forum here)

I know. Now someone will say, "Mine is better!"
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #34
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I get a kick out of text editor brawls. The vi-emacs battles tend to be the most entertaining. They make Windows-Mac dustups look like tea parties.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I get a kick out of text editor brawls. The vi-emacs battles tend to be the most entertaining. They make Windows-Mac dustups look like tea parties.

(Never had a good excuse to use this smiley before -- thanks!)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #36
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
How do you make a vi user laugh on Saturday?

Tell him a joke on Wednesday.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #37
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
How do you make a vi user laugh on Saturday?

Tell him a joke on Wednesday.
I remember when that one used "DEC Systems Programmer" rather than "vi user." It was still funny. Then again there was the one about the IBM/360 Internals person with the catch line of "tell him a joke last spring."
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #38
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
TextSpresso from Taylor Design:
http://www.taylor-design.com/textspresso/overview.htm

Sure, it's $25. And the included editor sucks. But, it will work on batches of text files with filters to change things like this:

"This is a bunch of text serving as example of
incorrect word
wrap due to stupid formatting of eBooks. I really
wish there was
some way to fix it, because it's almost impossible
to read this
terribly formatted text."

to this:

"This is a bunch of text serving as example of incorrect word wrap due to stupid formatting of eBooks. I really wish there was some way to fix it, because it's almost impossible to read this terribly formatted text."

through the clipboard.

About 300 built-in filters, with BASIC programmability, user-defined filters, etc.

Oh, and it wreaks havoc in auto-formatting/stylizing editors, like Book Designer. But it's great in Word, or TED: http://jsimlo.sk/notepad/. Can't keep house without it.

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote