Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #436
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Just had an email note about this thread. Sorry to have been out of things lately, folks. Still struggling with a vision problem since cataract surgery went badly skew-whiff. Missing the site and my pals here. Back as soon as I can see my way around and catch up. Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #437
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Would anyone be interested in uploading a nice clean version of some of Albert Paine's books?

The ones I'm most interested in are his The Hollow Tree Series: The Hollow Tree and Deep Woods Book (1898), The Hollow Tree Snowed-In Book (1901), and Hollow Tree Nights and Days (1915). All are available at PG as are many other of his books.

Wikepedia entry for Paine states:
"Albert Bigelow Paine (10 July 1861 – 9 April 1937) was an American author and biographer best known for his work with Mark Twain. Paine was a member of the Pulitzer Prize Committee and wrote in several genres, including fiction, humour, and verse"

I know I can learn to do this myself and I plan to try but I've only been reading on an ereader for about six weeks and the learning curve to produce a nice book is kind of steep for me right now.

I would be most appreciative if this project appeals to someone.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #438
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
As calibre support for .lrf has waned in recent years, please check that it is functional. If so, then I will upload it as well as other formats to our MR ebookk library (btw, .epub, .mobi, and my own .imp versions were created at the same time as the .lrf version was created).
Although I haven't read this yet, at a quick glance it looks fine and not littered with errors, and it works fine on my prs 505.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I'm a total ignoramus where html is concerned. A techie friend has tried for years to teach me html code, but it's all gobbledygook to me!

I still convert epub using Calibre. I hate the way epubs look on old Sony's; any zooming, even to medium, creates a narrow column of text down the centre of the page.
I'm so glad that peeps on here understand all the technical stuff.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #439
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I realize there aren't any glaring errors. The most noticeable is that the title page shows up with one word on each page, making a rather lengthy "introduction".

I have sentimental reasons to want the books as nice as possible. I remember my grandmother reading them to me when I was very young (many years ago). I would like to give them to my own grandaughters to read to their children when the time comes.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #440
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GeckoFriend, not sure if we're getting crossed wires. My previous comment was addressed to the uploader of the lrf version of "The Diary of a Goose Girl".

Sorry about the misunderstanding, if such there was (reading too much Shakespeare!).

Last edited by BookCat; 02-19-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #441
GeckoFriend
Guru

BookCat - My apologies for the crossed wires. When I was notified someone had replied to the thread I didn't read carefully enough.

The good news is my comments still apply and I'm hoping someone will be interested.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #442
Arthursbedtime
Enthusiast
Arthursbedtime doesn't litterArthursbedtime doesn't litter

Device: kobo
see http://arthursbookshelf.com/children/paine/paine.html
for Albert Bigelow Paine
Arthursbedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #443
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthursbedtime View Post
Thank you for the information about your books; they are definitely better than the PG versions.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #444
Arthursbedtime
Enthusiast
Arthursbedtime doesn't litterArthursbedtime doesn't litter

Device: kobo
I have reworked many PG ePUBs, usually with graphics, to get them to work on my Kobo. Let me know the ones you find that do not work on your eReader.
Arthursbedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #445
BookCat
C L J

I would be indebted to anyone who uploaded an illustrated version of "Letters From a Cat" by Helen Maria Hunt Jackson, preferably in lrf format, though any other format could be converted by Calibre.

I found this on an odd US site called "The Public Domain Review". It's definitely old enough to be PD, but not downloadable on that site. I read the first few pages; it's a short cat-story.

Although I'm "all catted out" with my six moggies, I still have a love of cat stories and feline art (not the sort they do with their paws!) and it would be great to be able to read this on my old Sony 505.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #446
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I would be indebted to anyone who uploaded an illustrated version of "Letters From a Cat" by Helen Maria Hunt Jackson, preferably in lrf format, though any other format could be converted by Calibre.
It's public domain, and Googlebooks has it. Of course, they have the scanned PDF and the auto-converted epub version.

I'm attaching a couple of PDFs--one is the scanned version from Google, not searchable, cropped to close to the boxes around the text; it should be small enough to work well in a 505. The other is a quick conversion to text-and-images, not prettied up; possibly looks better on the reader (depends on your preferences, I think) and is searchable. I've cropped the picture-only pages in that one down to just around the picture so they should fill more of the screen.

I hope this inspires someone else to finish converting them better; I'd offer but I'm *really* swamped right now.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #447
BookCat
C L J

Thanks for the speedy response Elf. I've downloaded both PDF's and will choose between them.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #448
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
.lrf, .epub and .mobi versions have been uploaded to the Patricia Clark library.

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-25-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #449
BookCat
C L J

Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #450
BookCat
C L J

I've had a chance to look at all these versions on my reader.

The text-plus version in pdf looks great re the illustrations, but the font is too small. If I put it on medium or large font, the formatting goes awry, with line breaks where line breaks shouldn't be etc.

The scan looked awful and was immediately deleted.

The lrf version doesn't have the nice word-wrap around the illustrations, but is much better for increasing the font size without sending everything crazy. Also, the cover illustration isn't as nice as the pdf.

On the whole the lrf looks better on my old Sony, but the text-plus pdf has a lot of nice touches.

Thanks. I hope the feedback helps.