Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
ahhahh
ahhahh began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-800S, Sony PRS-505
Question about Irex DR-800 official cover

Hi, all!

I was thinking of buying the irex cover, but now I'm worried because someone posted the following in the official irex forum:

Quote:
I have bought the Luxury Leather Cover
It's really ugly and if you bend it, the reader drops out of the cover.
I usually bend the cover in my old but loved sony prs-505, so can anyone please test if when bending the cover the reader drops out?

Could it be that he got a defective cover?

Thanks in advence.
ahhahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhahh View Post
Hi, all!

I was thinking of buying the irex cover, but now I'm worried because someone posted the following in the official irex forum:

I usually bend the cover in my old but loved sony prs-505, so can anyone please test if when bending the cover the reader drops out?

Could it be that he got a defective cover?

Thanks in advence.
I can bend mine, without the reader dropping out. But still, the cover looks cheap and the build quality/material is mediocre at best.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-11-2010 at 07:53 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
arroba
arroba began at the beginning.

Device: irex DR800S
my reader neither drops out , however I would have preferred a cover with clasp...
arroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Due to lack of alternative covers I also bought the original Irex cover.

But I do not think it is that bad. It does it's job of protecting the screen when closed and you can fold it completely over when reading on the device. Build quality is ok for me, but I can understand if someone dislikes the relatively coarse stitching work.

And hey, it's genuine leather and made by Castelijn & Beerens
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I've never had my DR800 drop out. I don't know what "bending" they were doing. I would guess they were not just bending the cover back, but actually "bowing" the spine. That might make the pin system pull away from the device. I can't see anybody bending it in that way during normal use though.

Whether you think it's ugly or not is subjective. I don't think it is, but some people seem to. I don't see any issues with the build quality.

For me, the most important thing is how much it protects the screen. eInk screens are really expensive to replace if they get broken. The leather cover has MUCH better protection than any of the other "official" options right now.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
ahhahh
ahhahh began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-800S, Sony PRS-505
I think that having the cover just in white is not the best decision, but my main reason for a cover is protecting the reader, and I'm not using my new dr800 as much as I'd like due to the lack of it.

As there are no other choices right now, I'll go for it.

Thank you all for your replies.
ahhahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhahh View Post
I think that having the cover just in white is not the best decision
I would have preferred black, but white does make some sense since it matches the device itself.

There are color options for their other device covers (iLiad, DR1000), and the DR800 is still pretty new. It could be that just the initial one was white but they have plans for other colors later.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Any place in the US selling the cover?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Any place in the US selling the cover?
Not that I know of. I asked them that question on 2/24 and they said "not at this time". However, they've also added some more US retailers for the DR800 since then, so I don't know if that has changed. I haven't seen any place that carries it yet though, other than ordering it directly from iRex.