Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Deleting a book - the 'cleanest' way?

As most of us know, a book can be deleted by doing so using the Kindle paperwhite itself, or one can do it using calibre. (I use calibre to manage my ebooks.)

Here is my question: What is the method that leaves nothing behind, or the one that is considered the 'best' way?

Thanks.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I like deleting the books using Calibre too, it seems to delete everything (including the .sdr files)
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you add the books using Calibre, delete them with Calibre, too. If you delete them on the Kindle itself, it will leave behind the folder that Calibre creates.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks to both Harry and Xtine.

I wasn't aware that a folder was left behind and, since I use calibre to manage my Kindle, I'll make certain I delete the ebook by using calibre.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By default (it can be changed) Calibre puts the book into a folder which is the author's name. Take a look at the "documents" folder on your Kindle the next time you connect it to USB and you'll see what I mean.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Despite adding books using Calibre, I usually just delete the books (or empty folders if I've already deleted the book via the Kindle - as per what HarryT has just posted) via my PC before loading up Calibre to add more books. That way I can get rid of any temp/part download files that sometime appear in the documents folder. I've never had any problems, but just checking, there isn't likely to be any issue with doing it this way is there?

Edited to add: Not sure why, but I've never thought of deleting the books with Calibre, but that is probably the easiest, and most logical, way to do it.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 02-22-2013 at 10:28 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, there's no issue with doing it like that.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Cheers HarryT, just wanted to be sure.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Hmm. Will have to check my Paperwhites drive to make sure it is a clean delete next time I am removing books. Thanks for the tips.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you add the books using Calibre, delete them with Calibre, too. If you delete them on the Kindle itself, it will leave behind the folder that Calibre creates.
I've solved that problem by changing the template in preferences for send to device to {title}. That works and there is no subdirectory created.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've solved that problem by changing the template in preferences for send to device to {title}. That works and there is no subdirectory created.
That's certainly one solution, but personally I like having the folders; it makes the "documents" folder a lot cleaner.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's certainly one solution, but personally I like having the folders; it makes the "documents" folder a lot cleaner.
How is the same number of directories instead of the same number of files any different? It's not. And it's less neat when you want to delete a book using the Reader's delete function yet the directory remains.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
How is the same number of directories instead of the same number of files any different? It's not. And it's less neat when you want to delete a book using the Reader's delete function yet the directory remains.
This thread is in the Kindle Forum

There are at least one associated file to each ebook file on a kindle. My K3 normally has two, annotations/reading position(.mbp or .han) and also page numbers(.apnx), but there can be others as well. (And I think the Touch and PW uses a slightly different format).
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Because you don't have the same number of folders at the "documents" level - the folders you have at that level are for authors, which you probably have significantly fewer of than you have books.

But I have to ask - why the hell do you care? You don't have a Kindle, and are a noted "Kindle hater".
Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Because you don't have the same number of folders at the "documents" level - the folders you have at that level are for authors, which you probably have significantly fewer of than you have books.

But I have to ask - why the hell do you care? You don't have a Kindle, and are a noted "Kindle hater".
This thread pertains to more then just Kindle users. Coming up with the cleanest way to delete eBooks from our readers is not just a Kindle thing. It's pertains to Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, Onyx, Bookeen, and any other Reader that Calibre can manage.